• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes problem with egw base and nightforce rings

loucksc3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2010
Pa
hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had this problem, i recently sent out my savage 110 action to kevin at stockade to have my action squared re-barreled and a new stock, bought a egw 20 moa base, and got my nsx 8-36 and ultra lite rings from eurooptic. i mounted everything up today and started the barrel brake in just shooting at 50 yards, (shot once clean once) well when i was zeroing the scope i noticed i was maxing the right windage out, well after taking the scope on and off several time to figure out the problem, and a couple phone calls, kevin at stockade told me to try putting one ring one way and keep the other one the same, heres to pic to show ya

215431_1807679431802_1234418858_31839605_6280098_n.jpg

to me this isnt right, is there soemthing with wrong with the size of the rail and the size of the base on the rings, i bought the egw rail because it was the only one that was instock at several different websites and nightforce doesnt make a base that fits my action, what do you guys think, should i try a different rail? someone told me to try ken farrel bases. is anyone on here using that combo of base and rail? im just frustrated when things done work haha all help will be appreciated!!

Re: problem with egw base and nightforce rings

Not sure what the problem is. I actually use an egw base on my savage 10PC in 223 with nightforce ultralight medium rings and 3.5-15x56 nxs and it hasn't given me any problems.

Never heard any problem like this with an EGW base. Wonder if lapping the rings would help? I know NF's policy about lapping rings, but still...

huh, maybe i just got a bad one, i was thinking about calling egw and telling them the problem but i probably be worth the hassle for a 40 dollar base

thats what i was trying to explain, when both rings were on the same way i was running out of right adjustment untill i turned the one rings around like i showed in the picture and it corrected the problem.

Did Kevin say why he recommended this as a fix?

It worked, but I am interested in the theory of why it worked.

yes i do have calipers and i did measure each hole to the outside of the base, all hole were alined, also before i switch the direction of the one ring, i did swap the front ring to the back and vise versa and it produced the same result with max right adjustment, wasnt the opposite, i also called nightforce and they told me i had a 99.9% chance it would be a problem with the scope. also i removed the base and put just the screws in the top of the reciever and check if it was aligned with the barrel with a 3f square and it also showed that the holes were aligned with the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did Kevin say why he recommended this as a fix?

It worked, but I am interested in the theory of why it worked.

</div></div>

he said it might have to do with the manufactures specs of the rail and nightforces manufacturing specs, if that makes any sense.

Actually that does make sense.

Having those bolts going opposite directions would drive me insane. If you are looking to replace the base, call Scott and Liberty Optics. That is where I got the Warne base for my Savage.

ya its driving me crazy too lol, what rings are you using with your warne?

Did you flip both rings to see if you bottomed out the Windage the opposite way?

yes i did, started off with the bolts facing the left side, then switch both to the right, then flip flopped.

Tolerance stacking? IDK I run an EGW base with NF steel rings and a NXS scope no problems here.

Ymmv but I have had good luck with Egw, just pick up another from classifieds yesterday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And adjustment flopped too? </div></div>

nope were the same

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cameron L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And adjustment flopped too? </div></div>

nope were the same </div></div>
Might be in the scope then

I had the exact same problem with my savage 12FLV, EGW 20MOA rail, TPS rings and a vortex PST 6-24. I have yet to flip one of the rings around, but if it fixed to problem for you I'll give it a try. I have no idea why it would work...

Just thought that would help clarify that it is not a specific piece of equipment you have that is causing the problem, besides the rail. The only thing we have in common is the rail on a savage, so in my eyes, that is the problem.

ya im thinking its the rail also, i have one other option to try and thats taking the badger rings off my savage 10 and if it gives me the same results then i know for sure its the base, i just hate the thought of taking it off then having to rezero that gun too.

Cameron, if you send me a PM I can send you a cheap Weaver base to see if it alleviates your problem, Consider it a loaner to take the base out of the equation.

update: last night i swapped my nightforce ultra lite's for the badger rings that were on my model 10, after mounting it AGAIN, still noticed it was going to have the same problem when i bore sighted it in the house. today i started again to finish up braking in the barrel and bore sighted it again at 50, still was shooting way left so i had to adjust alot to the right, well its not as bad as with the nightforce rings but im still over 30moa to the right on my windage. here a pic of where i have it zerod, just 50 yards, but still this doesnt seem right. in a perfect world shouldnt i be close to optical zero? which would be around 20moa, not 30? right now its only leaving me around 8 minutes to play with.

221644_1809104307423_1234418858_31841325_2231596_n.jpg

I have this same issue with a savage MKII using and EGW base, TPS low rings, and a nikon bushmaster scope. In my case i sent the scope and the gun both back to their manufactures the gun was said to be perfect and the scope was garbage so they gave me a new one, but even with the new scope i still got the same issue of having to use all my windage to the right.

im thinking its the base, i just ordered a new warne 20moa base from midway, i seen there back in stock now so i should have it by tomorrow and hopefully resolve this problem. i also have a egw on order for my markii also, i wonder what the chance is that that one will be messed up too.

It may be the barrel is not square to the action, look at the barrel at the end of the stock to see if you notice the barrel slightly off to one side. 20 or 30 thousandths of the receiver/barrel interface being off will increase to inches and feet the farther you go out from the end of the barrel. If it was out of square and the barrel was facing up you wouldnt need a 20 moa base as it would help in that regard. If you get what I am saying. After trying everything you can with the scope base and mounts. I would send it back to kevin and have him look at it, everybody can make a mistake. I have seen this problem before and the problems started after the new barrel was put on.

Do this once for each ring, each way then report back

1. Get something 1m or so long (3 foot-ish) and 30mm in diameter (a cheap broomstick, dowel from a hardware store etc)
2. Mount the dowel or similar in ONE ring
3. View from directly on top and see how parallel the dowel is to the barrel.

This when then prove that the savage hasn't had the holes drilled straight, like 90% of all US made actions scope alignment problems.

The other 10% have bases screwed wrong, but you can measure that with verniers, which you will have no doubt done.

Chris

well after 2 sets of rings (nightfore/badger), two different 20 moa bases (egw/warne) and tried with 2 different scopes (swaped the nxs for my trijicon 5-20x50) the problem still protists! the only other possible explanation could either the barrel is crooked (highly doubted tho, its a new pacnor barrel but still) and the most likely culprit is that my receiver is drill and taped off center. its hard to tell because there no flat edges to measure off of using my calipers but eye balling it im seeing about a 20 to 25 thousands difference from one side to another on the back. there no possible way i can see to measure the front because its completely round.

is there anyway i could use an windage adjustable ring to bring my scope back to the left about 20moa? i know millett makes a set with inserts but i really dont wanna get millett, and i need rings that will work with my base. any ideas??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cameron L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the most likely culprit is that my receiver is drill and taped off center. its hard to tell because there no flat edges to measure off of using my calipers but eye balling it im seeing about a 20 to 25 thousands difference from one side to another on the back. there no possible way i can see to measure the front because its completely round. </div></div>

Get a blank Farrel base, send the base and rifle to a real gunsmith, and tell him to measure the offset required in the receiver and drill the holes in the base accordingly, and bed and mount.

Most gunsmiths will have done this for almost all Remington receivers, but savage is still notorious for having crooked holes.

Conversely have a good gunsmith re drill the receiver and move the rail foward 5mm or so.

Cheap is a falacy, in the search of accuracy, cheap is a mere relative statement!

Chris