• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Problem with low power scope

Dselman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
I recently bought a Thompson center contender with a vintage leupold m8 2x pistol scope on it. And I swear it makes objects look smaller instead of bigger and I've had multiple people look through it. They all thought the same thing. So I was wondering if it was something wrong with the scope. Or if pretty much all low power pistol scopes are like that.

You can always send it back to Leupold and have them check it out. If there’s something wrong with it they will fix it.

Is the ocular screwed in all the way? In some scopes, I've noticed that if you set the diopter adjustment by turning the ocular all the way in it can skew your perception of the magnification.

I've seen people mount pistol scopes backwards before. Have you tried looking thru the other end?
FYI,... Many a USO was mounted backwards a long time back, an was sent back for warranty, when the issue was the installer as they assumed the big end went to the front on all scopes.

Reactions: JMGlasgow
I'll have to check on the ocular. But I thought that had to do with the focus of the crosshairs. and if it was far enough out of adjustment to cause problems with magnification then you wouldn't be able to see the crosshairs clearly. But yes I am sure I'm looking through it correctly. I even turned it around backwards and looked through it to make sure but it looks exactly the same.