• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Advanced Marksmanship Problem with my stock weld

cmnspwr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2009
Jackson, Tennessee
I'm just getting into the LR shooting game. I've competed in shotgun sports for about 10 years now. I bought a 5R and have been practicing my mounts. I tend to stick my neck out when I mount it (used to mounting shotguns). When I open the bolt and pull back, it barely touches my cheek, but enough to be a problem. Do I back off the stock some or do I need a longer LOP i.e. stock?

Re: Problem with my stock weld

Longest shot: 180 yards on a coyotes head with a .22lr purchased in 1952 from a catalog for Sears and Robuck(its my fathers). Super rusty, jams half the time but it worked that time.

I think it saved my dogs life.

cmnspwr, I read your name out loud as Semenpower...I lol'ed.
What does it really mean?

Have you tried moving the scope back. Since I got my 5R, I've moved the scope back 3 times from the original location I had it. With the scope back, you won't have to get your head up so far on the stock.

Well, for what good it does, I've been mounting the rifle with no scope. I'm waiting for my rings and base to get here.

get an adjustable stock that you feel comfortable with, and that fits. then spend lots of time making little adjustments that help you feel more comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just getting into the LR shooting game. I've competed in shotgun sports for about 10 years now. I bought a 5R and have been practicing my mounts. I tend to stick my neck out when I mount it (used to mounting shotguns). When I open the bolt and pull back, it barely touches my cheek, but enough to be a problem. Do I back off the stock some or do I need a longer LOP i.e. stock?</div></div>

What you want is eye relief and a stock-weld which allow for sight alignment from a muscularly relaxed condition. Typically, the prone position, using a rifle such as a Remington 700, will be more comfortable with a stock adjustable for comb height, pull length, and cant. BTW, comfort is essential for the best results.

So, I need to figure out what works best for me that is comfortable. I won't be able to do this until I get my mount and rings in (hopefully by tomorrow). I will update you guys with any further questions once the scope is on.
Thanks

My suggestion is to obtain (borrowing is best for the testing phase) a Limbsaver (or similar) slip-on buttpad, and use it to provide 1/2" or 1" of additional LOP, depending on the individual unit.

I agree with Charles' approach as a permanent solution, but to test the theory, I suggest trying the pad, as it allows experimentation while doing the least to disrupt your normal shooting technique. At very least, it will provide additional data about the relationship between LOP and your personal shooting capabilities.

Be aware the a softer buttpad will increase the recoil distance the rifle follows, and moving the scope closer to eye to compensate the eye releief can have the added potential for a higher likelihood of 'scope eye'.

Greg

I didn't see where you said how tall you are or what your reach is. I am pretty tall and long armed guy. 6'4" and my 5r was a little short for me as well. I did the add on stock pad and it was prefect. Its a easy and cheap fix.

I had a Perazzi shotgun custom made for me a couple years ago. If I remember correctly the LOP was 15.25". Might be 14.75". I'll have to get an exact measurement.

With a shotgun line of bore is brought into a relationship with line of sight upon shouldering the gun. Since line of sight, the line drawn between eyeball and target, can only have a relationship with line of bore when the shooter shoulders the gun, understanding where the gun is pointed requires the proper fitting of the gun to the shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmnspwr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol, cmnspwr is short for Cummins Power. </div></div>

Thats not much better
grin.gif