• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with some .223

Pinecone

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
I have reloaded .223 for years using normal FL RCBS die set. Works fine in a Mini 14 and Colt HBAR for just plinking.

I recently got a Colt LE6920. I was at the range yesterday and put some of the reloads through it. These are once fired military brass.

Here is the problem. If I drop the bolt, using the bolt release, the round does not fully chamber. I can smack the forward assist and it will chamber and be fine.

If I pull the charging handle all the way back, it will chamber and fire fine.

It cycles additional rounds upon firing without any problems.

So, I figure the cases are a bit too large near the base. So is there anything I can do to "fix" these rounds? I have a "few" (LOTS) loaded.

If worst comes to worst, I will get a small base die set and load up more for this gun. But I hate to have more than one batch of the same basic load around.

Thanks.

If you're sure you don't have a "pooched out" spot at the base of the shoulder from crimping, then I'm guessing your headspace is shorter on the new rifle than the old ones, and your base-to-shoulder dimension is too long.
If you really do have "lots" of 'em, it might be worth investing in a Redding "body die" that will bump the shoulder, without touching the bullet and neck. Can't recall right now what they call it, but they make one... or made one. Same die would fix that "pooched out" shoulder.

What you describe is usually a headspace issue.

Did you use a headspace gage to set your FL size die?

While a Small Base size die could be needed in your rifle, yours would be the first I've seen that actually needs it. Most just need a properly adjusted FL die set.

I started out with a SB size die, but switched to a Redding FL die a few years back, and have never had an issue in any of my 3 ARs.

No need to work the brass any more than is necessary.

A round that is over crimped can also cause chambering issues (bulges the shoulder).

The chamber on the "new" rifle is probably a bit tighter
Id run out the rounds in the older rifles and switch to the small base dies

Thoughts are running the way I was thinking.

I will need to get a comparator piece for .223 (I have for .308) and check the shoulder length.

And probably get the Redding die.

I have LOTS of it loaded. :)

Thanks.

Get the small base die and run the loaded rounds thru it. Lightly lubed with one of the lanolin/alcohol lubes, not petroleum based. I'd spray into a ziplok gallon bag to coat the bag and roll the rounds around inside the bag to avoid primer contamination. JMHO

OK, got the Hornady comparator for .223 and a Wilson case gauge.

I don't need a small base, the shoulders did not get setback enough.

Fired cases out of the gun are 1.460".

My loaded rounds are 1.460" - 1.461". They definitely sit high in the Wilson case guage.

I also got the Redding body die and tried bumping the shoulder back a bit.

At 1.459" the round would chamber from a locked open bolt, but you could not extract it (not fired) without a pretty good smack on the charging handle. These sit about right to the higher ledge of the Wilson case gauge (maybe a bit high).

At 1.454", the round chambers and extracts fine. These sit down level with the lower level of the Wilson case gauge.

So it looks like I take some time and resize all the rounds. :(

Oh well, I have nothing better to do. :)

BTW, the loaded rounds are loose at the base in the Wilson case gauge.