• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with Tikka Varmint/CDI Bottom Metal/AI Mag

Slug870

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello all,

I am in need of some advice and or assistance with regards to a build I am working on right now. First, the parts breakdown;

- Tikka T3 6.5x55 factory barreled action
- CDI Tikka T3 Long Action bottom metal
- AI 338 Mag --> This was supposed to be a 300WM magazine, but my dealer sent me the wrong one. After researching a bit on the web, I believe that the outer dimensions of the 338 and the 300 are the same; so this shouldn't be an issue (please feel free to correct me if I am incorrect on this). I am using this magazine to allow the use of the longer 6.5x55 bullets, and the magazine "tweaking" simply involved bending the feed lips.
- McMillan A5

So as I have my gunsmith putting the rifle together for me as the stock required milling for the CDI DBM to fit in, he called last night and informed me of a major issue with the build. It would appear that with the DBM bolted to the barreled action, the magazine physically will not fit into the receiver! I am at a loss here as the CDI bottom metal bolts on perfect with zero alignment issues, yet the mag well in the receiver is just too short for the mag to go in! I am currently in full panic mode here, but I am also confused as I have no idea how the fellas who own T3 Varmints in 300wm rifles are getting the mags to work.

A few pics of the exact issue at hand;

I am hoping that someone on here has a bit more knowledge on the Tikka action vs AI long action situation, and hopefully be able to offer me some assistance.

Thank you

Shoots. I'm going to be doing the same thing with a .300 wsm in 338 ai mags.
I can't help you, but I'll be watching this pretty close. Make sure you post a fix when you get it.

Contact Jeff at CDI, I'm sure he'll tell you there will be a little milling that will need to be done to get things to fit. I would think your gunsmith would know how to remedy this, but if not, call Jeff or send it to him for install. Think he only charges like $80 for install. I had to remove a bit off of my Savage 300WM build with the CDI bottom metal. I just used a file and took a little at a time and works like a charm. Go to the source for the answers.

I had to do a bit of millwork to get AI mags to work with both short and long action Win70s.

A call to CDI is definitely in order.

Nice chambering, by the way.

Do you know how long that mag is? I tried to measure the inside of the mag well on my tikka, and it is right near 3.6 ( I think).
I have a 338 LM mag that is 3.775 that I will probably have to sell. Hopefully the ai 338 mags will fit, as I think those are 3.6.

Do you know how long that mag is? I tried to measure the inside of the mag well on my tikka, and it is right near 3.6 ( I think).
I have a 338 LM mag that is 3.775 that I will probably have to sell. Hopefully the ai 338 mags will fit, as I think those are 3.6.

The mag pictured is an AI 338 magazine. The outer dimensions of the AI 338 and AI 300WM are the same; to the best of my knowledge.

I spoke with the folks at CDI, and was told that the mag does not need to enter the action in order to function... This seems a bit odd to me, but that is "straight from the horse's mouth"...

The issue you discovered is one reason that there are no chassis for the T3 in magnum calibers. The rounds will actually feed with the mag that way, however if the round should shift forward under recoil there is a chance of the nose of the round catching under the feedramp area of the action.

Also you will most likely need to modify your bolt stop as the bolt does not come back far enough to work with the AI mags.

Good luck,
Justin

Hi, no mag mods needed to fit..forget the front, it does nothing and isn't in the way of anything. The T3 in Long action setup is limited on OAL allowed due to the action design, so it is limited to max OAL of factory 300 Wm rounds(about 3.400 Max OAl). for the 6.5x55, there is no OAL issue, and it jut is wasted real estate. IT will work out fine..

Jeff CDiPrecision Gunworks

As Massoud stated, what is to keep the shorter rounds from sliding forward and getting the noses caught under the feed ramp?

I'd think a little shortening of the mag follower would be in order, and then a spacer epoxied in the front of the mag would be needed to keep the bullet noses located rearward. This is, of course, if the mag spring will allow it.

Recoil of firing the rifle resets the rounds in the mag, I would not do anything else to the mag, as it can adversely affect the function of a well thought out design. Don't over think it, we do these all the time for all the rifles we make DBM for and no issues show..its all good..;) Cheers

Jeff and Pam

Well, here's the update.

I'd like to thank everyone for their tips and advice, but when it all came down to it Jeff from CDI was bang on - it feeds fine as is! My only issue right now is the last round in the mag not being picked up; but this is a minor issue which I will figure out shortly. I am amazed and very, very happy with my baby!

I don't have a range report yet as I just picked her up today, but I figured I'd update the thread and show some pics!

Thanks again to all; especially Jeff at CDI

Does modifying the action feed ramp help make this a better fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me rephrase. Does modifying the action help with longer cartridge lengths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk