• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problematic prone

jippy1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2019
South Carolina
Recently made the transition from bench and bag, to prone and bipod. 😕

I have a hard time (very) if I try to line up straight behind the rifle. It’s difficult to extend my head/neck up enough to even see through the scope.

pretty much HAVE to put some body angles in like a little green plastic army man.
even then, I gotta rest my neck after 5-6 shots, and flex head/neck forwards (forehead to ground) before I can finish off the magazine:

Being right handed, the rifle is pointing to the left of my spine’s centerline. As would be expected, muzzle usually jumps left, and I can see neither my impacts, nor my misses.

but then, weirdly, sometimes the rifle come straight back and I do get to see my impacts. But I haven’t (consciously) changed anything

TO WHAT DEGREE IS THE CHEEKWELD HOLDING TO HEAD UP, LIKE A SHELF OR A PROP? Or is it just a light reference point for repeatability, like a kisser button, in archery?

do I just need a bigger bipod? Which soul heal the neck strain
but would seem to also invoke more arm and chest muscles to prop up higher?

i have to increase my lop when upright or from a tripod compared to prone. not sure if that is normal, but sounds like you need to move your scope back? are you pulling the rifle back into your body with a decent amount of pressure? i think some hide training suggesting it should feel like carrying a 15lb dumbbell.

Try extending your bipod to help with the neck strain.

If you're getting neck strain:

1) It's bad and will affect your shots, not to mention your comfort
2) It means you are using your neck muscles - you don't want to use your neck muscles. I want as few muscles as possible being in any state other than relaxed. For me that means only the muscles in my fingers and bicep should be firing (though I know other supporting muscles are firing too).
3) It likely means you don't have your cheek riser set to an appropriate height for where your scope is set and what your body geometry is. Thus, you need to raise your head by using your neck muscles. They don't get much practice at that, so get pissed and let you know it in short order.

What I do when I set my cheek riser height:

1) Set up prone and set it close to what you think it should be.
2) Rest your cheek on it. Adjust again as necessary.
3) Close your eyes and try to completely relax for like 30 seconds - pretend your cheek riser is a pillow and you are relaxing to go to sleep
4) Open your eyes

There is a good chance when you did steps 1 and 2 you were supporting your neck with your neck muscles, and when you open your eyes in step 4, you will find your cheek riser is too low.

5) Adjust your cheek riser up and repeat.

This is all assuming that you have a cheek riser, of course.

It took me some fidling with gear. I had to get higher scope rings, which allowed a higher cheek rest and more verticle head position. Finding the right hight on the bipod and the rear bag. Now i can lay behind it relaxed like I was watching TV on the living room floor.

Reactions: lash
Guys who do this are typically laying on the rifle. Set yourself up square and straight and then pull the rifle in front of your face. So bring the scope in front of your eye rather than putting your eye behind the scope. Too many people set the rifle on target and then contort themselves onto it attempting to not move the rifle. Your NPA is NOT set by your bipod and bag. Your NPA is set by your body and the rifle’s connection to your body.

Lay down, use your back muscles to get upright enough to address the rifle, then pull the rifle in front of your face and connect it to your shoulder. So you’re not laying on the rifle. You’re laying straight/square on the ground and bringing the rifle in front of your face. This will probably put the stock much closer to your centerline and not way out toward your shoulder.

Reactions: BPGuru
Lay down, use your back muscles to get upright enough to address the rifle, then pull the rifle in front of your face and connect it to your shoulder. So you’re not laying on the rifle. You’re laying straight/square on the ground and bringing the rifle in front of your face. This will probably put the stock much closer to your centerline and not way out toward your shoulder.
One technique to get the stock closer to your centerline, I think from Scott Satterlee, is to reach out with your firing hand along the side of the rifle as far as you can, and run it back toward the trigger. This helps set the stock into the pocket of your shoulder.

Your length of pull might also be too long. For comparison, try shortening it, and then set your body position at the other extreme angle, with your feet pointed right in relation to the rifle. Your scope should start jumping to the right.

I've noticed that some people who have issues lining up prone also suffer from inflexibility of the thoracic spine (myself included). A small foam roller has helped my increase flexibility enough to use my upper back and decrease tension on my neck.

I've noticed that some people who have issues lining up prone also suffer from inflexibility of the thoracic spine (myself included).
+1 this is the ability of your back to reverse flex (opposite of touching toes) when on stomach and trying to lift your head.

Thoracic spine and the nex muscles etc are also all connected

Sounds like a few things going on.
Try Shorten your length of pull.
look at getting higher scope rings
Also sounds like you’re too low to the ground. Too flattened out. You wanna be up on your elbows more with good bone support. Raise your bipod height so you’re up higher off the ground.

Reactions: NodakBarbarian
Appriciated

Note that there are different hardness foam depending on how masochistic you are. These are excellent tools for getting a myriad of muscles to loosen up. I have the medium hardness foam.

Note that there are different hardness foam depending on how masochistic you are. These are excellent tools for getting a myriad of muscles to loosen up. I have the medium hardness foam.

Or if you really want to do some targeted spots, you can use like a softball or something like that. It'll hurt more, but it'll get into some deep muscle spots better than a foam roller.

IIRC "lacrosse ball" is the standard for PT these days,
it works on eg knots in your back or neck area,
scapula etc just the right size

Reactions: ordibbstacker
Or if you really want to do some targeted spots, you can use like a softball or something like that. It'll hurt more, but it'll get into some deep muscle spots better than a foam roller.

IIRC "lacrosse ball" is the standard for PT these days,
it works on eg knots in your back or neck area,
scapula etc just the right size
those are both great if you can stand it.