• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Problems cleaning my barrel

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I have a Savage 10FP (HS Stock). It has less then 400 rounds down the tube. Most are my reloads.

I have been reading about people on this forum cleaning their barrel in less then 10 mins. I MUST be doing somthing wrong.

Ill walk through what I do. I use all tipton products except patches.

First I clean with Hoppes 9. I run 2 different wet patches 2 times each with lots of solvent on them (Jag used). I then run bronze brush through 2 times then 2 dry patches.

I have been doing this process untill dry patches are clean.
Usually 2-3 times.

Already I am well past alot of people time wise with my cleaning.

I then have been using hoppes copper terminator. I used the same proccess aboce but I let the cleaner sit 10 mins each time before running the brush through.

I did this for almost 2 hours before my barrel was pretty clean. There was still blue showing on my patches at the end of this.

I then finish up with a wet patch of no 9 and then a dry patch.

I have read that the savage barrel's are really rough, is this the problem? should I change solvents?

This is taking WAY to long.

Oh by the way the last time I cleaned it was after 50 rounds. The most I have ever shot between cleanings was 100 rounds.

Re: Problems cleaning my barrel

you don't necessarily have to decopper every time. If your accuracy is deteriorating with copper remove it. If it is not don't until it does.
Some barrels won't shoot till they get some copper here and there.

I would make ten passes with sloppy wet brush with bore cleaner and then patch. Brush again and see if you get black patches. As long as they come out black scrub. Carbon is the enemy for sure. Quicker you clean it out the less it gets hard before you do.
A cheaper bore cleaner is Eds Red 1/3rd Mercon Dexron Tranny fluid, 1/3rd K1 Kerosene, 1/3rd mineral spirits or paint thinner.

I have substituted offroad diesel with no difference. Best I ever found. I mix it up 1 1/2 gallons at a shot. Also good on locks, linkage, drive chains and fire ants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brush again and see if you get black patches. As long as they come out black scrub. </div></div>

negative, you know what color the patches come out when you start removing steel? BLACK, to the OP the reason you are still seeing slight bluish tints on your patches, are you using brass jags??? That will give off a blue tint.

I use Montana Extreme bore solvent and their copper solvent randomly after cleaning, to "check". Time required to clean your barrel can depend of the quality of your barrel and other factors such as interior finish or using proper bullet weight and length per twist requirement. Also, the more you shoot before cleaning time, the harder the chore. As the man used to say, "pay me now or pay me later".

I am using brass jag... maybe that is the problem...

+1 for the kg12. In fact, all I use is KG products. KG1 till its clean then KG3 for fouling. KG2 is used rarely for copper. KG12 for the copper with a parker hale tyoe jag wrapped in patches. It's ammonia free and works better than anything I've seen.

I got to thinking how I would approach cleaning your rifle and this is how I would do it. I would use JBs Bore Cleaning Compound and Kroil. First you run 2 patches of Kroil though the bore. After 5-10 minutes saturate a patch with JB and wrap it around a bronze bore brush. Work the bore brush with 10 passes through the bore. Next pass Kroil soaked patches through the bore until no black residue shows. This should speed up your cleaning.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brush again and see if you get black patches. As long as they come out black scrub. </div></div>

negative, you know what color the patches come out when you start removing steel? BLACK, to the OP the reason you are still seeing slight bluish tints on your patches, are you using brass jags??? That will give off a blue tint. </div></div>

you're kidding?? if that is so...how do you distinguish between carbon and barrel steel...is that to include stainless?????

Try this routine and see how it works for ya. I am completely dont in tem minutes. And that included the time to get out stuff and put it away.

1. One very soaked patch with sweets.Let sit for 1 min while you get your other stuff ready.
2. 10 or so passes with my nylon brush.
3.1 tight dry patch over tight fitting jag.
4.1 wet patch with any gun cleaning,lubricant,preservitive, do it all cleaner type solvent.
5.10 or so passes with my nylon brush.
6.1 tight dry patch over tight fitting jag.
7. one semi wet patch with gun oil.
DONE and spotless clean.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOCOS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brush again and see if you get black patches. As long as they come out black scrub. </div></div>

negative, you know what color the patches come out when you start removing steel? BLACK, to the OP the reason you are still seeing slight bluish tints on your patches, are you using brass jags??? That will give off a blue tint. </div></div>

you're kidding?? if that is so...how do you distinguish between carbon and barrel steel...is that to include stainless????? </div></div>

Yes, its true. Here's how to tell the differnence. Dont' clean the barrel untile it stops shooting consitantly. then clean "SOME" and shoot another 300-1000 rounds.

Stop worrying about something thats not effecting the accuracy of the rifle. shoot untile a noticable fall off.

I don't use bronze/copper/brass implements. They result in blue patches all by themselves.

I clean after each shooting seesion, once the guns are cool and home.

I use either Outer's Gunslick Bore Foam or Hoppe's #9. If I use Hoppe's, I use a nylon brush ammediately after applying solvent, solely to spread the solvent into all bore creases and crevices. Foam spreads well enough on its own that brushing is not needed.

Once the carbon stops coming off the patches, I stop using the brush, and just soak the bore. My patching implement is a steel or plastic slotted tip.

Once the patches show minimal blue, I soak the bore with Hoppe's #9 and leave it overnight.

That said, I'm clearly overcleaning my bore.

Removal of copper and carbon is a matter of maintaining a minimal fouling level, then sealing the rest from contact with air and moisture with a coat of oil. My main concern is to control the issues that cause bore pitting. That said, pitting is not directly and conclusively linked to accuracy degradation.

Bores that are spotless simply require more rounds worth of fouling to get accuracy to settle down. Overcleaning simply makes that require more rounds. In the end, this increases round count and negatively impacts throat degradation. Overcleaning also has the potential for bore damage from cleaning rod contact.

Greg

Switch to something usefull, CR-10 or KG. That will pull it out pretty quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOCOS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
deadly0311 said:
Hummer said:
you're kidding?? if that is so...how do you distinguish between carbon and barrel steel...is that to include stainless????? </div></div>

It is very hard to tell the difference. If after the first use of a bore brush, you look down the bore and see no more powder fouling, brushing again will only be barrel steel. Yes it includes stainless steel.

I get a ton of copper in my crappy ER Shaw barrel. It shoots well but takes days to get clean. I leave Hoppes #9 in all day and all night when I'm not home, then Montana Extreme every 15-30 minutes when I am. You wouldn't believe how much nastiness comes out.

try wipeout, leave it overnight, and wipe it out with a few clean dry patches, run an oil patch, and you are done

Wipe-out is a good product.
When a patch comes out clean using that stuff, you know your barrel is clean.

Was accuracy dropping off? How does it shoot now? Wipe down the bolt, grease the lugs and camming surface of the bolt, swab the chamber and go shoot some more.

I'm of the opinion if there is still copper in there it wants to be and leave it unless it's affecting accuracy.

I haven't done anything to the bore in over 1000 rds and it's still shooting as well as when I found the load for it.

Solvents are Stupid, they dont' know the difference between Copper or any other metal including Stainless Steel, or even the brass of your brush or Jag.

If you're leaving a solvent in the bore, chances are you're eating the bore as much as eating anything else.

More barrels are ruined by over clearing than they are by shooting... stop "inspection" cleaning and spend more time shooting.

You guys are ruining your barrels with all the (leaving it in for days stuff). Leave it in for minutes at the most and dont use copper/bronze stuff to clean your barrel or all your patches will come out dirty even when the barrel is clean as can be.