• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Problems coyote hunting

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
For the life of me I just can't seem to call any in. Currently I'm using a Primos Double Cotton tail call and I don't know if it's me or what but I just don't ever seen anything

Instead of trying to write a bunch of instructional stuff down I looked on youtube to see if there was a good demo, but I didn't find anything really but plugs for this product or that product.

I did find this page though and it has good info.
Coyote Hunting - How to Call Coyotes
Since you don't mention how experienced you are at calling I will assume a novice and recommend you go to the sporting goods store and buy an instructional audio or dvd or another call that comes with one. Ed Sceery produces a good predator calling video. I'm not saying to buy Sceery calls, I just remember years ago the video he put out was good, and I do like his calls, but I also use Woodswise, Johnny Stewart, Primos, and a couple others.
The best way to become good at calling is to listen to and mimic what it is supposed to sound like and then practice a lot, but not in the field. Field work is for when you are ready. Coyotes will become call shy in a hurry. You may have already made them call shy and should lay off of the areas you've been calling in for a good long while.

I'm very novice. I'm wearing cammo that was washed with just water. I did also look on youtube and really didn't find anything good or explained how long to call. What I did find was automatic calls but they just seemed to loop continuously. I haven't called in this area for over 2 years but I know they are out there

For the life of me I just can't seem to call any in. Currently I'm using a Primos Double Cotton tail call and I don't know if it's me or what but I just don't ever seen anything

rider i have hunted old yote for many years. from WV,NC,SC,GA,FL
when we started out, we struck out every time out ALL MOST GAVE UP'
now the avg, is 1 out of 7 stands, not going to ramble but just a few basic's
#1 make sure coyote's in the area you want to hunt. around here they travle from day to day (hear them 1 day next day moved out or hunting)
#2 wind,wind,wind, no matter how much cover scents you use watch the wind, we ;ike to set up with wind left to right.or right to left
so we can watch down wind of foxpro for them coming in. 99% of time they will use there nose 1st
#3 volume. start out low. that was our biggest mistake, don't want to sound like a 300lb cotton tail. use correct sounds for season.
#4 camo every thing, while on a buddy hunt, i had partner set still while i did a walk about, from 200yrds saw a flash like a camera,
looking throught bino"s saw my buddy's scope lens flash. don't have to have show camo, just dull it down.
#5 get comfy on stand, coyote like a turkey with a nose, see every unat movement.
to get a lot more info than i can give (i learn something new every trip out) check out predator xtreme magazine

Are there coyotes consistently in the area you are calling and they aren't coming in? Or is the population not consistent in the area? I was thought to scout everything twice; once at normal hunting hours such as first light, and again at different hour such as late afternoon. Some areas are traveled to get to and from and you need luck or timing and others are honey holes where there always seem to be dogs. Just when you think you figure them out they will show you different. Watch the wind and let it cool off, right now in co they are scare in daylight because it is so hot, once it cools off they won't be so hard to coax in during shooting light. Camo is ok but overrated, bgbmboo? On here had some calling videos with much success using no camo, black and earth tones Work just as well. You can spend all your money buying fancy camo and in the end it will make little difference if stands are not set up right with wind, light, etc. make the most of every dog that comes in and let them take time to come in while you observe them as they will teach you a lot, how they work wind, difference in sketchy dog vs hard charger, what sounds are effective and which are not at different times of the year. This is all what makes it so fun is the challenge, after all you are trying to move above a predator in the "food chain" in his environment.

Are there coyotes consistently in the area you are calling and they aren't coming in? Or is the population not consistent in the area? I was thought to scout everything twice; once at normal hunting hours such as first light, and again at different hour such as late afternoon. Some areas are traveled to get to and from and you need luck or timing and others are honey holes where there always seem to be dogs. Just when you think you figure them out they will show you different. Watch the wind and let it cool off, right now in co they are scare in daylight because it is so hot, once it cools off they won't be so hard to coax in during shooting light. Camo is ok but overrated, bgbmboo? On here had some calling videos with much success using no camo, black and earth tones Work just as well. You can spend all your money buying fancy camo and in the end it will make little difference if stands are not set up right with wind, light, etc. make the most of every dog that comes in and let them take time to come in while you observe them as they will teach you a lot, how they work wind, difference in sketchy dog vs hard charger, what sounds are effective and which are not at different times of the year. This is all what makes it so fun is the challenge, after all you are trying to move above a predator in the "food chain" in his environment.

well said Gilly. thats what i meant by camo, dont need fancy stuff, just dont flash.
man would love to get out west,an try my luck. on some dawgz
here in NC we hunt real tight to brush or woods, best tool of our style, shotgun #4 buck
what ya'll useing in CO; it's been 20 years since i was last in Co.down around salter canyon. near deloris (think i spelled that right).
as close to god's country as u can get, an must said freindlys people ever had the pleasure to meet

been having problems here too, I'll try out the wind left to right or right to left thing out. usually Ive been trying to hunt in a head wind.

Never forget the wind. Always set up so you can see to your down wind side. 90% of the time they will try to circle down wind 100-300 yards away.

Be prepared on every stand. Your not going to call one on every stand. One yote every 10 stands is pretty good in some areas and it's easy to get lazy after calling for days and seeing nothing.

Wait at least 30min on a stand. Longer in thicker areas.

Use different calls and different sets. It sounds fishy if the same rabbit dies in the same place over and over again. Try some bird and pup distress.

Start using howls. Howls can work a lot better in pressured areas and during certain times of year like Jan-Feb. A lonely howl to start a set followed by some distress a couple minutes later can be deadly.

It really helps to let them prime up and wait for the cold weather, you get a much better response ;)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SYO5qMyTeqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QXX6chpLq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If your hunting this time of year the best call I have used is coyote pup distress. But it just takes time got to find out when and where the coyotes are moving. Someday they may be out at sun up others maybe mid day. Winter times is a good time to, but call sounds do not travel as far. Just got to know where to go...

It really helps to let them prime up and wait for the cold weather, you get a much better response ;)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SYO5qMyTeqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QXX6chpLq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O Yea,good looking stringer of fur.

population density helps out a lot too. If you don't have the coyotes, you won't call in coyotes, no matter how good you are with a call. But if you've got a pile of coyotes in your country, it's a lot easier.

I do agree, let them prime up for a couple more months then go after them. They're worth nothing this time of the year.

xdeano

j19ud-213.jpg

Yes, camo is very improtant. Notice my careful selection of camo.

I'm new to hunting but this is the same advice that I've heard for Kansas as well. OP, if you're in Springfield, Mo. you might have better luck waiting until fall when it starts cooling down a bit. Looks like trapping season is in the middle of November so before then should be pretty good.

coyotes could be called in any time of the year, but the best part is mating season, no doubt, when they are more vocal and reactive to calls being made. OP you probably DID call in coyotes, but perhaps didn't see them. they blend in extremely well.

last year at night, i tried everything (distress and dog calls), no bodies seen, no response call. a fire siren went off about 3am, no less than 4 coyotes sounded off approx 150 yards away.

gotta make sure you have a "huntable" population, enough of them that a poke and hope method works

gotta make sure of your scent and wind. they live by their nose, chances are they'll pop up downwind from you. if the wind is in your face, chances are they are popping up behind you and busting you.

camo is good, cover is better.

don't rely on 1 type of call, and if that's all you got, try lip squeaking, it's like a universal language. use the right call for your area, if you don't have much rabbits there, i'd go with something that you have alot of: mice, voles, birds, etc. even raccoon / fox fighting calls - everything comes to see a fight. coyotes and grey foxes are big time enemies, try a grey fox call.

spring & early summer i like pup calls, fall i use alot of distress calls, January and february i go with coyote mating calls mixed with distresses.

little on the subject of yotes, last night patterning geese, found a spot next to the pond were no less than 3 coyotes took down and dragged off a smaller deer. 3 different sized dog tracks, 1 set of small deer tracks, drag marks, stomach content, hair, messed up reeds. told the whole story.

if i weren't worried about spooking the geese for the opening day, i'd hit that spot with a fawn or doe in distress call while the taste of venison is still on their lips.

We've killed a few the last week or two with rabbit distress on the Foxpro here; mainly big pups, but when the landowners are losing livestock every winter/spring due to the coyote numbers we have, I kill every one I can. No use letting them get any smarter I say; plus our fur aint worth much, if anything, on the yotes anyway. Bobcats are a different story of course ;). I like a crosswind first, then a headwind. I know some guys that purposely set up with wind to their back, figuring they will end up downwind anyway! Not for me mind you, but a different theory nevertheless. Plus I like getting the sun behind me, easier to see them and harder to be seen.

Also, be careful of slamming truck doors when you get out, shut them easy, coyote can hear that for a ways. And be as quiet as possible when slipping into the stand where you set up, plus try to get something behind you (tree, bush, etc). And if you set up on a hillside, be careful of silhouetting yourself by sitting too high on the slope. And yes, full camo is best in my book, hands, face and all. And one of my biggest things: let them stop for the shot. I'm sure there's plenty of folks that can hit a running coyote, but I aint one of them LOL! I tell everyone, let them stop and its a lot better; and if they won't stop, let them go. I've had them come back out and killed them anyway, and its easier to call them back and kill later if you haven't educated them by missing. Hope this helps you, don't give up too soon, when you get that first one I guarantee you'll have a new addiction!

Actually got very lucky a couple weeks ago a friend and I called one in with using an ap on the I phone we were both very surprised when on came in. Couldn't take the shot though came in right between us and some heifers. Try it maybe you can get lucky to.

The 7 I have shot in the last 2 weeks came into rodent sounds/ fawn distress/p-dog distress/, its hit and miss sometimes also.

j19ud-232.jpg

Me in my sniper's hide this morning. Notice my tasteful use of camo; mainly because it was a little chilly and my wife, a.k.a. Sweetsums, wouldn't let me out of the house on a day like this without something warm on.

j19ud-222.jpg

Around my place, coyotes tend to come around at dusk or in the early morning. I shot this one at a bit over 250 yards from my hide arount 8:30 AM with a 243 Winchester shooting 87 grain Hornady V-Max bullets. Down the runway on the right, you can see a white sign by the driveway. The coyote was a bit further than that. I've taken several other coyotes this year; a couple were a bit over 300 yards down range. I didn't find one until the vultures found it a couple of days later. It was dark and there were a bunch of clumps of brown grass because I hadn't mowed it until it was about ready to bale. The other was hit hard but got into the corn and I didn't feel like searching 25 acres of corn for it.

j19ud-216.jpg

The exit wound. The coyote spun around a few times but didn't make any yardage.

j19ud-227.jpg