• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

problems with my ar-10

clinto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Ok, Im fed up with trying to fix this on my own so I'm seeking help from the hide.

Awhile back I had an ar-10 put together for me by Chuck Ross at Ross Precision, I had most of the parts already, I just sent everything to him and he built it. I purchased the armalite upper receiver with bcg on gun broker and bought an armalite stripped lower from a local store, Chuck got the lower parts kit, barrel and barrel extension.

Anyways, the problem Im having with it is that it won't load a round from the magazine, when I pull the charging handle back and let go, its like the bolt slides barely on top of the round instead of catching it on the base and pushing it in. This causes it to jam in the feed ramp/barrel extension area. It does this with every mag that I have tried.

So, I swapped out the lower with an armalite lower that a friend has and everything works perfectly fine.

Ive talked with chuck about this, and we can't seem to figure out what the problem is, so I came to the conclusion that something was wrong with the lower receiver, So I found an Iron Ridge lower for armalite for sale at Ranier arms, I bought it and a new armalite parts kit, put it together, and it will hardly even pin to my upper receiver. When I try this new iron ridge lower on my friends armalite upper, it pins together, but it won't feed either.

Im not too experienced with gas guns to begin with, but this has really got me scratching my head. If anyone has any suggestions, Im all ears. Thanks a lot.

Re: problems with my ar-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clinto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ive talked with chuck about this, and we can't seem to figure out what the problem is
</div></div>

Lower is probably out of spec, kinda weird that it works with your buddy's but not with the 2nd lower your purchased though.

I would try to get a refund for whatever non-functional lowers you have an get another armalite one 762sass has them 205$. If it doesn't work then you need to do the same with your upper.

A temp solution is to bend your mag feedlips so that the rounds sit higher and the bolt can grab them.

I've seen that where it did the exact thing that's going on with yours, yes the lower was out of spec and once the new lower went on. Problem solved

I was hoping the new lower would solve this problem, what are the odds of having two that are out of spec? One especially from Iron ridge, I thought theirs were supposed to be pretty high quality.

Problems? With an AR10? I'm shocked.... shocked, I tell you!
grin.gif