• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with Redding Competition Seater

Shocktroop0351

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2008
SE Montana
I just got a brand new Redding Competition seating die for .308 from Sinclair this week. For the last few nights I've been trying to get it set up to be zeroed at 2.350" (to ogive) and I still can't get it. I'm using 175 SMK's so I thought this would be pretty easy. I followed the included instructions and it set up the die way too low and it was trying to seat the bullets way too far into the case. As in the ogive of the bullet was in the neck. So, I inserted my dummy 2.350" case and slowly unscrewed the die until the bullet and ram traveled all the way up. I then tightened the locknut and tried to zero the die out. I can get it zeroed using the adjustment screw, but within 1-2 rounds my seating depth begins to variate +-.01". I thought at first it may have been slack being taken out of the mic and it would settle out after the first 2 or 3 rounds, but it jumps around so much I can't get it dialed in. I tried adjusting the mic for each round individually to dial them in individually, but the results don't mimic my adjustments at all half the time. I'm debating returning this die and getting a Forster Ultra instead. Am I out of line to expect every round to come out within .001"? I also feel I should mention I'm using a Lee Challenger press. On Reddings website they mention a worn out press could cause inconsistent seating depths, but I feel my technique is pretty consistent and smooth and the press is only 3 years old. Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Re: Problems with Redding Competition Seater

Mate

The 175SMK's are pretty consistant, but measure the bearing surface of a few projectiles and see if they differ.

When I have had issues with consistant seating, it was the bullets.

Also, can you change the seating depth on how hard you push the press handle?

Cheers

Your press does not cam over so your measurements will vary depending on how much force you put into the handle. What I do on the Lee press is to use two fingers to press down on the handle slowly until it stops. I don't put any force into it once it stops. If you do, you can actually get the ram to flex a little and it will throw the seating depth off. But you're getting .01" variance which is HUGE. The most I can get it to vary if I tried to muscle it is about .005" or so.

Also did you make sure that the ram isn't contacting the die when it's all the way up? It should not contact the die body itself. Only the sleeve that moves up and down.

"Am I out of line to expect every round to come out "within .001"? "

Yep. But the 20 thou spread (+/- 10) you mention is WAY out of line. That isn't the press, Lee's high grade alum alloy presses are, within their tensile limits, more rigid than iron. Nor is it likely there's anything wrong with the die.

Are you seating using the ogive but measuring COAL? I have an RCBS competition seater and it seats very consistently when I measure the rounds to ogive. If the bullet length varies a bit to the tip thats not the die's fault.

Nessal, Thanks for the advice on this. It's not that I rammed the handle down, but when I do get to the bottom I usually just press on it slightly to make sure it is bottomed out. I didn't realize the ram would flex. I'll go seat a few and see how your technique does. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you seating using the ogive but measuring COAL? I have an RCBS competition seater and it seats very consistently when I measure the rounds to ogive. If the bullet length varies a bit to the tip thats not the die's fault.
</div></div>

I am measuring off the ogive also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your press does not cam over so your measurements will vary depending on how much force you put into the handle. What I do on the Lee press is to use two fingers to press down on the handle slowly until it stops. I don't put any force into it once it stops. If you do, you can actually get the ram to flex a little and it will throw the seating depth off. But you're getting .01" variance which is HUGE. The most I can get it to vary if I tried to muscle it is about .005" or so.

Also did you make sure that the ram isn't contacting the die when it's all the way up? It should not contact the die body itself. Only the sleeve that moves up and down. </div></div>

I just finished trying it out your way and its now much more consistent. But I now get 1 of 3 measurements every time (to the .001"), so I'm thinking it is variations in the bullets themselves. Does that sound correct or could there be something else I'm not doing correct? I've already taken the die apart and cleaned out the factory oil and re-oiled it with Hoppe's gun oil. It feels like the seating plug is moving very smoothly so I don't think it is binding up anywhere. Thanks again for all the help.

Alternate possibility. How much powder is in the case? Is this a compressed load at all?

Rich

The comp seater does not seat off the ogive. The area it seats off of is higher than the ogive, toward the tip of the bullet. What you need to do if you wan exact seating depths with no variation, is seat the bullet a few thousandths long, measure, then adjust the mic and seat it to the desired depth. There is nothing wrong with your seater

My load isn't compressed any. I'm only running 43gns IMR4064 and trying to seat to 2.350". I do believe majority of my problem was with my seating technique. I never realized the ram would flex if I put any pressure on it. After I quit doing that things settled in good, and I think it is just the variation in the bullets I am fighting now. I did go shoot those bullets I made this morning and all my groups were under 1/2 MOA. These were the first ones with this seating die and I'd say that easily ties my best with my old die. I think I'll try your way too palmik that way I don't have to take half the bullets back apart again.

I've experienced this and it's always due to a slight difference in neck tension. If the .001 varience bothers you, you'll need to anneal, neck size, and neck turn to get perfect neck tension. The "looser" your neck, the deeper they will seat.

"The comp seater does not seat off the ogive. The area it seats off of is higher than the ogive, toward the tip of the bullet."

Not quite. The ogive is the entire forward tapered profile of a bullet from the meplat to full diameter. All seaters seat off the ogive, or at least they should.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The comp seater does not seat off the ogive. The area it seats off of is higher than the ogive, toward the tip of the bullet."

Not quite. The ogive is the entire forward tapered profile of a bullet from the meplat to full diameter. All seaters seat off the ogive, or at least they should.
</div></div>

I understand this, yes it is all a matter of semantics. I was saying that the contact point of the seating stem does not seat from the part of the ogive that is bore diameter.

I see a variation with most of the Sierras also. Their bullets come off numerous machines so there is a difference in the bullets because some molds are a lot older then others. The military are the only people to get all their bullets off one line. I do not see that kind of variation from the Lapua bullets I load. I think Nosler CC are worse yet.

I just got done loading another 37 rounds using palmiks and nessals suggestions and of the 37 all of them ended up being within +-.001" and I was able to do it in around 40 min and I didn't have to disassemble half of my bullets because they were too short. Thanks for all the help today guys, have a good weekend.