• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Problems with reloading 45 ACP

Frozenmud

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Evans, Colorado
I have spent many hours reading and researching reloading took a six hour class and I finally started. My end goad is to reload .308 match ammo. I started with .45 ACP to practice/learn with because I was able to get a reloading setup for very cheap. I have a rcbs partner press reloading kit with rcbs dies. I loaded 50 rounds and took them to the range and they will not chamber. At first I thought that I didn't resize properly, because I wasn't "camming the press over enough" So I've tried reloading some freshly resized dummy rounds and they will not chamber either. I can't figure out what I did wrong. I measured the rounds against the reloading manual and some factory rounds and them seem to be the same. I tried two springfield 1911s and the reloads will not chamber in either. Thanks in advance for the help. Philip

Re: Problems with reloading 45 ACP

Did you crimp them? What pistol are you shooting them in?

The bullets countours vary so much that unless you use the exact bullet in the manual, the length of the whole cartridge does not matter. It may be too long or too short. I suspect that the greater diameter of the bullet is contacting the chamber throat and stopping the full chambering of the round. Try this... take your barrel out of the pistol and hold it in your hand. Take a sized cartridge case and drop it into the chamber. The case head should be flush or just below the face of the chamber. If not, you have brass that is too long or a chamber that is too short. Work that out if so. If the brass case meets the requirements stated, then seat the bullet into the uncharged case at maximum length. It should stick out of the back of the barrel. Start seating it deeper until the whole cartridge will chamber. Do that with both pistols. When you get the rims to be at or below the chamber edge by a tiny bit, then load some cartridges, without powder or primer, but with the crimping (a taper crimp is best for .45 ACP) in place and check again. If the base is level or a bit deeper in the chamber, Load and Lock. Take them out and shoot. I'll bet you they feed, chamber and fire great. Log that in for that bullet. JMHO

+ 1

I agree with fnp. I'll bet either the bullet is out too far or there is a roll crimp on the case mouth. When I was loading match ammo for my 45 I removed the barrel and used it for a guage. EVERY round got tested. Later I bought a SAAMI minimum dimension chamber guage made to do just that. Later I got a stainless one from Dillon.

Here's a quick suggestion: Take your barrel out and use it as a case gauge. Drop your cartridges in and see what the problem is. As others mentioned, your over-all length may be too long, or you might need to add a taper-crimp die. A Dillon cartridge gauge is a good accessory to add as you can.

What I said. With lead bullets, the cartridge may be over long but headspacing on the bullet's edge will allow functioning. With jacketed, you do not have the slop factor in your favor. JMHO

Make sure the case mouth is crimped somewhere between .466" and .470".

If you don't have a caliper and you're loading lead bullets, a good test is to use your thumbnail and make sure the edge of the case is buried only half the thickness of the case mouth into the lead bullet.

Alan

I was able to try somethings this morning. I increased my seating depth from an OAL of 1.250 to 1.190. Also it is looking like I might need to increase the amount that I am taper crimping. Either way with the increased bullet seating that fixed the problem, the dummy round will drop in with no problem.

Will seating the bullet deeper cause problems with increased pressure? I am using 230 grn HSM FMJ with Remington No. 2 1/2 primers and 5.8 grains og hodgdon's universal.

Thanks for all of the help Philip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frozenmud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was able to try somethings this morning. I increased my seating depth from an OAL of 1.250 to 1.190. Also it is looking like I might need to increase the amount that I am taper crimping. Either way with the increased bullet seating that fixed the problem, the dummy round will drop in with no problem.

Will seating the bullet deeper cause problems with increased pressure? I am using 230 grn HSM FMJ with Remington No. 2 1/2 primers and 5.8 grains og hodgdon's universal.

Thanks for all of the help Philip. </div></div>

It's pretty tough to overpressure a .45ACP with bullet seating. Your COAL seems short. Is your bullet a typical round nose?

We need to know what you are using in these loads.....
It's ALL about the details.
FWIW: all my 200gr semi-wadcutter .45 acp loads are 1.245" OAL and chamber EASY in tight Bar-sto barrels, BTW
Are you loading for a 1911 type pistol or what?
Info. IS lacking......
Respectfully,
LG

Tim,

Your question highlighted another problem in my reloading process. When I'm seating and crimping I'm turning round nose into flat nose bullets. I'm having a hard time getting the seating/crimping die set right. Should I get a lee factory crimp die that I have heard people raving about or is that for a different application?

LG,

The load is for training purposes, mostly to learn to reload. I plan to shoot the loads in a SA 1911 and maybe a Glock 21 if I buy one.

AGAIN, I say we need to know WHAT YOU ARE USING in your loads.
Reread my first post on this thread.
I will NOT SWAG when it comes to reloading.
What you DON'T know WILL hurt you.
IF, you are "flat-topping" your bullets that tells me you MAY/COULD be using to much/wrong type of powder.
Let US help you BUT, we need MORE info. on your part!
FWIW: I have been reloading .45 acp for over 40 yrs.(HELL YEAH, I'm OLD)
Respectfully,
LG

LG,

As I posted above I am using 230 grn HSM FMJ with Remington No. 2 1/2 primers and 5.8 grains og hodgdon's universal. If there is more information that you need let me know. At this point I don't know what I don't know. Thank you for your willingness to help I want to learn how to do this right. Thanks again Philip

SORRY FM, I had not seen that, MY BAD.
What press and dies are you using?
Does a sized EMPTY case fit your guns chamber?
How does factory ammo fit that chamber?
Rerspectfully,
LG

Ok this is where I'm at...

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have a used partner press with used RCBS 3-die carbide set. Once I get some more experience I will order a CO-AX.

My sized brass drops into the chamber great as does factory ammo. All of the below is loading dummy rounds. Following FNP's advice of seating the bullet deeper I was able to solve my problem of the round not chambering. The only problem is completing the crimp and bullet seating in the same operation. I've read the directions that came the the dies and tried about 10 times with no luck. Most likely it is operator error. I took Lumpy's advice and split out the seating and crimping. Since then am no longer smashing the tip of the bullet and my legitimate OAL is 1.235 . Thanks for the help getting me pointed in the right direction. Just wait until I move up to precision 308 and beyond. Philip

I load everydamnthing(not 12ga or 50BMG, BTW)on a Dillon 550.
For your pistol ammo, let the Lee Factory Crimp die become your friend(taper crimp for autos/roll crimp for "wheel" guns) and order a Dillon chamber check gage to check your ammo with.
It's a learning curve your in, and your doing fine.
Respectfully,
LG

FYI...DON'T, repeat, DON'T...seat and crimp at the same operation. Therein lies a lot of your troubles. When you apply the crimping stage at the same time as the seating, you are forcing the bullet farther in as the crimp tightens. You wind up expanding the case below the mouth, flattening the bullet and potentially ruining the accuracy of the load. From the beginning, resize the brass. Expand the mouth of the cartridge and prime the critter. Drop the powder. Seat the bullet. Apply whatever crimp you wish. Taper or Lee factory. Don't roll crimp .45 ACP if you wish accuracy. Proven many years ago. The depth of seating is determined with your barrels chamber...as described previously. Glad Lumpy set you straight on that. When you turn the crimp under as you seat the bullet, you mangle the bullet and do bad things to the case. Especially if you try to do that with a FMJ. The FMJ's, if the sizing of the case is correct, really don't need any, or if any, a tiny bit of crimp. When you crimp a jacketed bullet without a cannelure, you are warping the bullet. If you desire to crimp the FMJ, use the Lee FCD. You won't be able to crimp a roll or taper crimp on a jacketed bullet without ruining the bullet. And, claims not withstanding, you'll harm the bullet with the Lee. Lead bullets are another story. AND...if you are going into precision loading for long range...read all the posts about that on the "stickies" at the beginning of the Reloading section...get many, many books...and, if I may be crass...get an experienced Mentor to begin. JMHO. Good luck and good shooting

You can seat and crimp in the same step if you set the die up correctly. What brand of dies are you using?

With the lee, you should back off the crimp as much as possible, get to the seating depth that you want, then set the crimp.

There is no actual "crimp" required with an auto pistol. Just bend the brass back straight from the "belling" operation.

And buy lots and lots of my bullets. They are second to none, I assure you.
laugh.gif