• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problems with Sako Quad mags

tman300wm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
I recently purchased 3 Sako Quad magazines from Beretta USA. They are in 22LR/17HMR2. When I try to insert them in the mag well they will not stay and lock into position. I can't tell if it's a design flaw in the new magazines or if I have another issue.

I noticed that the 22LR mags look a little different from my other Sako Quad mags that are in 22WM/17HMR. The quad mags in 22LR have a long strip of metal that engages the mag release. The 22WM mags have a smaller nub. I also looks as if the feed lips on the 22WM/17HMR mags is lower or at a slightly lower angle than the 22LR mags.

Have any of you seen this problem on your Quad? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks,

Re: Problems with Sako Quad mags

I have some extra 5 and 10 round mags for my quad 22 and have never had the problem that you are describing.

The 10 rounders can be picky on what ammo they will feed fully loaded up.

Do your 22LR mags look different from you 22WM mags? Do you have both kinds?

there's different notches on the bottoms of the barrels to accept the different mags. A 22/17m2 barrel will have the correct notch for those mags and the same for a 22Mag/17hmr. Are you attempting to insert the wrong mag with your barrel?

OK, the problem was sorted out. I had purchased two aftermarket match grade barrels for the rifle. One being a 22LR and the other a 17HMR. The 17HMR had the proper notch in the bottom of the barrel, but the <span style="text-decoration: underline">22LR barrel</span> was apparently notched for the 17HMR mag! I simply had my gunsmith mil out the bottom of the barrel to accommodate the 22LR mag. Cost me $25.00 bucks, and the mags all work like a charm now.

By the way, just in case any of you run into this problem with aftermarket barrels on your Quad, the barrels came from Larry Gish. Larry is a helluva nice guy to do business with and his customer service was outstanding. I had an issue with one of the barrels and he fixed it for me gratis. The issue with the mag not fitting in the mag well because of the way the bottom of the barrel was milled was probably an issue that Larry would have handled as well, but instead of shipping the whole rifle to Larry I opted to take it to a local smith and save myself two weeks wait and $40.00 bucks for shipping. Larry uses Pac-Nor blanks for his Quad barrels and they shoot quite well for the money.