• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Progressive Press

Well, hoping I don't piss none of you guys off here, but, I ended up picking up a LNL AP. I bought it from an older guy around where I live that has a couple of them and is starting to slow down as far as reloading goes. The one he sold me is brand new, came with 4 shell plates, a big pack of the bushings, powder cop die, and some other stuff. He gave me a hell of a good deal on it so it was hard to pass on. I've done a ton of reading on it, and watched a few of the highboy videos on youtube and am actually liking it quite well. Someday, when I have room I'll probably pick up a Dillon. That will be a ways down the road though.

I've only had time to load about 500 rounds of .223 on it so far as I've been crazy busy between my day job and the side business that my wife and I own. I'm hoping things will slow down a bit the next couple months so I can do some plinking.

I did pick up an aftermarket case feeder setup and a bullet feeder setup, but haven't touched my reloading bench in the last 3 months so I honestly can't say how well they work.

On a side note, my family went 4 for 4 on deer tags this year, with 3 of them being mule deer bucks, and my wife drew her once in a lifetime elk tag here in ND. Needless to say it's gonna be a fun fall!

Reactions: jetsurgeon
well i am late to the party on this thread. i have had a square deal, 550, and 650. i still have the 550 and square deal. didnt like the primer feed on the 650; but i did like the primer seat station being away from the deprime station....cleaner. anyhow.....

i’ve. talked with all kinds of folks through the years, one guy i met had dillon, got a LNL, and sold his dillons. iirc, he said it had to do with the priming station being away from the deprime station...i could be wrong on that. but there was a specific reason he gave. point being, hornady is a fine company and some folks prefer them over dillon.

if you got a press that does what you need, and you are happy with it, AND you got a deal, that’s all that matters. my guess is, if i had started on a hornady, i prolly wouldnt feel compelled to go to dillon. it just happens that the guy that got me to go progressive was a dillon man. so i got a dillon(s), and had an Insta-mentor; which is really handy when you are stepping into something new.

Well my experiment with my Dillon 550b and H4350 was a massive fail. My powders drops are .5+- off from my target load of 41.9gr. I guess I'll stick to the ol' rock chucker.

Well my experiment with my Dillon 550b and H4350 was a massive fail. My powders drops are .5+- off from my target load of 41.9gr. I guess I'll stick to the ol' rock chucker.

Some powders meter great, others give issues. I switched powders with my 243 because the powder i was trying to use was not metering well. Switched to ball powder, no more issues.

Some powders meter great, others give issues. I switched powders with my 243 because the powder i was trying to use was not metering well. Switched to ball powder, no more issues.

Yep. AA2200, H322, H4198, CFE-Blk all meter well for me. Varget and now H4350 have been two that do not. Oh well.

Well I tested some loads. Two of these are with my Dillon 550b and two are with rock chucker/chargemaster.

I don’t know which is which (I’m an idiot) but I’m 90% sure the largest one is from the chargemaster.
F012EFE1-BA5B-4AC4-A191-400B620C740C.jpeg

The position of the shots relative to bullseye isn’t important, I was resighting in my rifle with the can on since I tried a match without it last weekend.

Last edited: