• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Projectile tarnishment after long storage duration

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
Hey Guys,

I have noticed some minor tarnishment markings on my 175 SMK's.

They haven't been in storage for that long (about 6 months to a year).

My question is if you buy in bulk can the projectiles have issues when in storage for around a decade?

I'm thinking about purchasing one large lot and being set for quite a few years unless their are issues I should be mindful / concerned of.

It's nothing to worry about, tarnish shouldn't affect accuracy. But, closed sealed factory boxes should be free of tarnish for a long time, unless you might be in coastal Alaska with a salt environment/for instance.

I have opened a few Hornady boxes that had some tarnish, none lately, but that's all I can think of? And, I have boxes on the shelf that are many years old, still bright as new. Things like vapors from a washing machine or generators might have fumes that cold penetrate your containers, rare but I have heard of at least one case where it affected IMR powder and then attacked cartridges in the same cabinet. BB

How exactly are you storing than and in what percent humidity and average temp?

I store all of my ammo in large, sealed ammo cans with rechargeable desiccant packs inside and have no issues with tarnish..

ETA: Generally speaking discoloration isn't something to get concerned about, however, it may point to your needing to improve your storage situation as over the long term it may produce something that will actually affect performance. Since you're in AUS I will assume it is closer to a coastal region with higher humidity and salinity content. Might be worth investing in some large ammo boxes to store rounds that aren't in a spam like air tight container.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

In general if you live in Australia your usually within a few hundred kilometers at most of the coast. I'm about 50km inland so I don't think salinity should be an issue.

The containers were opened and that's probably why the tarnishing. I don't know the environment at the factory and I assume aslong as they are sealed they will be good for years?

I'll also look into getting some airtight containers.

Thanks again.

Gi'day Aussie,

They will tarnish on exposure to several things, most likely to oxygen.
Also moisture/oils from skin doesn't help.

It's just a micro-layer of oxidised copper - no big deal.
Only the top few layers tarnish, and this layer of tarnish seals and protects the underlying layers from further oxidation.

Keep them (the 175) sealed in the heavy plastic bag with the twist top that they come in, and it will be a very slow process.

Sealing them keeps the oxygen exchange to a very low level (the oxygen will get used up inside the container - although some may still 'diffuse' in).
The best would be sealed with nitrogen or something - which would stop it totally (as long as oxygen doesn't seep/diffuse in).

Because, Lord knows, snipers want SHINY ammo. LOL!

I have some straight walled pistol brass that's as old as I am, been reloaded several dozen times, beautifully patinaed ("tarnished"), camouflage extrordinaire, and smooth as butter. Shiny is pretty, but patina shows character;-)

AussieShooter, unless your bullets are showing some rough, green verdigris, some nice, even tarnish won't hurt a thing.

Last edited: