• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Projector screen

mercracing

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2013
    Green Bay, WI
    Looking to get a new projector screen preferably something in the 106-120" range. Anyone have any recommendations for a brand/model? Was thinking about a fixed screen maybe grey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to get a new projector screen preferably something in the 106-120" range. Anyone have any recommendations for a brand/model? Was thinking about a fixed screen maybe grey?
    This is actually something about which I do have some real knowledge. My first question to you is, what's your budget? You can go anywhere from a $500 projector and a paint job on a basement wall, all the way up to $100k projectors and a Stewart Filmscreen Snow Matte screen for an equally ungodly sum.

Also, not all of the best screens in some price range will be the most expensive ones. There are some wonderful bargains that non-videophiles overlook.

Also also, why do you want a grey screen? Will you be using this in a room with a fair bit of ambient light? If so, grey is a good idea. But if you plan to use it in a home theater room (i.e., with aggressive light control), then white generally works best.

-David

Last edited:
    We just upgraded to an epson powerlite pro cinema 9350. Currently we have a roll up screen that's not sized to 16:9. Price I would like to keep 500 or less. The room is in the basement but the stairs are right behind me, so depending on the time of day/ time of year it can be kinda bright behind me. With the new projector, it's bright enough to overcome the outside light. I just thought it would be nice to have. Most use is COD followed by Blu Ray.

I bought a Da-Lite Cosmopolitan 10 years ago. It runs fine and still reflects vivid coloring from our projector. They're kind of pricey now, but eBay has them for almost 1/2 price. That's where I bought mine.

We just upgraded to an epson powerlite pro cinema 9350. Currently we have a roll up screen that's not sized to 16:9. Price I would like to keep 500 or less. The room is in the basement but the stairs are right behind me, so depending on the time of day/ time of year it can be kinda bright behind me. With the new projector, it's bright enough to overcome the outside light. I just thought it would be nice to have. Most use is COD followed by Blu Ray.
    Okay, let me get on the horn with some friends of mine and I'll see what can be wrangled. I'll get back to you tomorrow, Monday at the absolute latest.

For $500 for a fixed screen, you should be able to pretty well. One of those fancy motorized pull-downs? Oh, that'll cost you. But a straight fixed screen? You'll do fine.

You said you want 106"-120". All else held equal, is bigger better in your book? The trick there is, the bigger the image, the dimmer the image, which is why guys with those 7' screens use such insanely powerful bulbs. But if I can find a deal for you on a 120-incher, is that what you'd prefer?

Yours,

David

Okay, let me get on the horn with some friends of mine and I'll see what can be wrangled. I'll get back to you tomorrow, Monday at the absolute latest.

For $500 for a fixed screen, you should be able to pretty well. One of those fancy motorized pull-downs? Oh, that'll cost you. But a straight fixed screen? You'll do fine.

You said you want 106"-120". All else held equal, is bigger better in your book? The trick there is, the bigger the image, the dimmer the image, which is why guys with those 7' screens use such insanely powerful bulbs. But if I can find a deal for you on a 120-incher, is that what you'd prefer?

Yours,

David

No need to do that yet. Not looking to buy right now. We are paying off other parts of the theater room right now. Just looking for feedback on what people have and like.

When it's time for a new screen, i'll let ya know.

You've got it. I know the Da-Lites and Elite Screens are quite popular, especially as they offer a wide range of price points. Because of their simplicity the fixed screens generally give your most bang for buck in picture quality. If you have a door to the theater room or even just can cover the doorway with a heavy curtain (that'll require wife approval, naturally), then you easily can go with white instead of gray. The other thing to be aware of is the screen grain. As a rule of thumb, the more reflective a screen, the brighter its image can get, but that'll also get you more light pollution from the stuff around it and other visual artifacts that enthusiasts don't like. A matte screen will eliminate reflections etc., but it'll be a dimmer image. What I've seen a lot of guys go for in dedicated theater rooms is a grain of 0.9 or thereabouts.

I'll talk to some buddies and see what they think your best options are.

Yours,

David

Very interesting thread, considering.... as we too would be looking to upgrade our screen and projector eventually.

We've already got the 'powered' screen, I've just been thinking of simply dismantling it, and replacing the screen itself with a better one. Who's done that?

Hi mercracing, hi Sean,

mercracing, here's the deal according to a friend who runs a home theater/electronics store: so long as you can fully darken the theater room, that's the single most important thing to do. It'll improve your picture by leaps and bounds. Assuming you can do that, a matte white fixed screen from Elite Screens will give you your best bang for buck. Below is a link to the sort of screen he suggested for your needs, but note that the AcousticPro features aren't needed; the CineWhite model is the best bargain:

Amazon.com: Elite Screens R120WH1-A1080P2 ezFrame Acoustically Transparent Fixed Projection Screen (120" Diag. 16:9 58.9"Hx104.7"W): Electronics

If you can't fully darken the theater room, then a gray screen is your better option, which Elite also offers. In that case you'll want a very reflective screen, preferably w/a screen grain of 2.0-3.0, and higher is better when fighting ambient light.

Sean, in your case I'll pose the same question: what's your budget? Because IFF you can go as high as ~$1,500, there's a truly world-class screen designed by Joe Kane himself, one of the founders of the Imaging Science Foundation. It's made by Da-Lite, using their HD Progessive screen material, and it's called the Da-Lite JKP Affinity (JKP for Joe Kane Productions). A screen grain of right around 0.9 is ideal for a dedicated theater room. If that's too rich for your blood, there are other more affordable ones from Da-Lite that are still very good. I've seen the Joe Kane screen in person, though, and I readily attest to its quality. The only way to best it would be to go up to a Stewart Filmscreen, which would cost a $$pile$$. One thing about a screen, especially a fixed one that has no moving parts: once you get yourself a good one, you never need to upgrade or replace it (short of disasters with inquisitive toddlers and the like). Projectors, flat panels, and AVRs get upgraded all the time, but good quality screens, speakers, and theater chairs are permanent.

Link: Da-Lite - JKP Affinity Screens

As for keeping your current motorized mount and just replacing the fabric, he said it would be a doomed effort, even for someone with an engineering degree. The issue is that outside of the factory it'll be almost impossible for you to get and preserve just the right amount of tension perfectly evenly across the whole screen.

For both of you, should you, when the time comes, decide you want to use my connection with this guy in order to get your best price, his name is Robert Zohn and he runs a shop called Value Electronics. PM me and I'll give you his contact info (I don't want to post it publicly because that might verge on advertising, and no way do I want to break any of Lowlight's site rules).

Yours,

David

Last edited:
    Thank you for the info, David. In time, I will be going further with this venture. As it is for the moment, what we have is 'up and running', and there are currently 'brighter fires' being dealt with at this time.

We fell into some fantastic deals when we got our 'theater' up and running. You'd almost think that they 'fell off the truck', except for the fact that we did this over-the-counter AND had to deal with a warranty issue as well. No problems there at all.

To upgrade from here, I know it will cost. But one thing for sure.... we'll NEVER go back to "postage-stamp" size tv again. The overall experience is such a drastic change, that even the news is literally 'viewed differently'. Though, to be honest, we waste VERY little time with the 'news'.

"Silver Screen" really is/was a thing, eh? With little beads of silver impregnated into the cloth. Now it is actual faceted crystals on the fabric, to multiply the reflected light, eh?

I've learned of the differences between 'bad' and 'good' let alone 'incredible' screens many years ago. I'm going to have to take my Lady around to a few shops, just to show her the difference between what we have, and what we CAN have. Then that would probably expediate the call to you, soonest! Thing is, she too has to juggle her "reloading components" budget with her "viewing pleasure" budget. That way, it ain't all "just on me".

HA. :D

Hi Sean,

Yeah, home theater is a wonderful hobby, but it's plenty expensive, and there are all sorts of other expenses in life that any rational person will put first.

The fabric they create for these modern screens is indeed a far cry from what we had growing up--and it definitely makes a difference.

Yours,

David

Currently I am waiting to hear back from a place about building us a riser for the back row of seating(couch). That's the first thing I want done. I want everyone to be able to see decently. After that, it's time to upgrade various parts.