• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Projo in barrel

DLMsniper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Central Valley, CA
I have an EDM Windrunner .338. I was doing a load work up so I had 5 cartridges for each load.
Apparently, in my haste I did not put the powder in one of the cartridges prior to seating the projectile.
I went to the range, fired this empty cartridge and nothing happened (of course).
After waiting a few minutes I ejected the round. The brass came out without the bullet.
I took the rifle home and removed the barrel. I looked inside with a flashlight and could see the boat tail end of this 300g SMKHPBT.
I thought I would take my Dewey rod and gently tap it loose from the other end. Did not happen.
Even with moderate force, it did not dislodge the bullet.
What to do next???
TIA
Dave

Re: Projo in barrel

Good way to screw up a rod. If you want to use a cleaning rod though you should have a blunt screwed into the threads to help protect them. You can make one from an old jag or bore brush.
I am thinking I would use a brass drift punch if you have one that will easily drop into the 338 barrel. Drop it in from the muzzle. Don't be gentle. Try that a few times to see if it will dislodge the bullet. If not I would then find a close fitting wooden dowel about the same length as the rod. drop in the brass punch followed by the rod and then take a mallet and whack the wooden dowel. Lastly, add Kroil and repeat the process.
You must use dare not to put anything hard down the barrel to keep from marking it up. You should also be very careful to not nick the crown. I'm sure you know that but not everyone does.

Good luck!

Go down to the nearest hardware store and get a 1/4 " brass rod, usually 3 '. Drop the rod down the barrel and hope it will drive the bullit out. If not, use a hammer to tap the rod.
I keep rods of different sizes around for just this type of use.
Works well for stuck brass, too.

Thanks shoot4fun.
I don't know what a brass drift punch is or where I can find one.
Has anyone thought about tapping the boat tail with an easy out, or would the potential for barrel damage be too great???

Dave

The brass rod he is talking about is a really long version of a drift punch. Look at punches in the Brownells web site and you'll see what it is. I thought every one who had a firearm had a drift punch. Maybe they call it something else in California.

Shoot4fun, thanks for the information. I'm relatively new to reloading so I guess I'll add a drift punch to my ever expanding tools for reloading.

Dave

Brass rod. Repeat, BRASS rod. Not a 1/4 inch all thread. Drop it in from the muzzle. Repeat. The bullet will come out.

Brass rod worked!!
Required a little more pounding than I expected.
Had great impressions of the lands and grooves.
Thanks all.
Also had a casing get stuck in my resizing die.
Had to tap the primer end and use the tapping screw and collar. It eventually came out.
I now need to add a vise to my reloading gear.

Thanks all!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also had a casing get stuck in my resizing die.
Had to tap the primer end and use the tapping screw and collar. It eventually came out. </div></div>

Let me guess. You use Hornady One Shot case lube?

Been there, done that and won't do it again.