• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Prone + Bipod + Red Tac Gear rear bag? Help!

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
So, I am trying to learn to shoot F-class by myself. Problem is I just bought a Red Tac Gear rear bag from Triad Tactical and it is so small the only way I can use it in a prone position is with my bipod on its shortest notch (ie 6in). I find it more comfortable to have the bipod extended about 3 notches though. But, at that setting the rear bag does not provide enough elevation. Is it more desirable to be in the lowest position when prone or is it a matter of preference. If so, how are you supposed to use this rear bag when it is only 3" thick? <span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, I realize that it can be turned on end, but at the cost of stability.</span>

d-16802.jpg

Re: Prone + Bipod + Red Tac Gear rear bag? Help!

try gripping the bag itself with your hand through the bigger loop, and give it a squeeze

I feel you have to do whats comfortable for you, so you can shoot mor consistant. if the squeezing doesnt get you the elevation and putting it on ent isnt stable enough. I would try elevating the rear bag with another bag under it something square and a lil larger than the footprint of your rear bag. or try another rear bag like a bald eagle with the bunny ears.

I have the Triad bag and a TAB gear bag. I prefer the TAB bag when on end to the Triad bag when in same position. When shooting down hill I have stacked the Triad bag on the TAB bag for extra rear height.
just my .02.

The small bean bag is designed to be used in conjuntion with the bipod at it's shortest setting.

Rule of thumb: The lower you can get to the gound, the more rock solid your support will be.

I realize that not everyone can do that & or they choose not to.

FWIW,
Stu

I usually shoot a taller position as well so for added height, I place my log book underneath the redtac bag. Add additional material as necessary for height.

Geb

What about the bigger tactical pillow they have? I'm interested in buying a rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I am trying to learn to shoot F-class by myself. Problem is I just bought a Red Tac Gear rear bag from Triad Tactical and it is so small the only way I can use it in a prone position is with my bipod on its shortest notch (ie 6in). I find it more comfortable to have the bipod extended about 3 notches though. But, at that setting the rear bag does not provide enough elevation. Is it more desirable to be in the lowest position when prone or is it a matter of preference. If so, how are you supposed to use this rear bag when it is only 3" thick? <span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, I realize that it can be turned on end, but at the cost of stability.</span>
</div></div>
You should use whatever gear and position are most comfortable for you as long as you get good results. About a year and a half ago I called Adam Bauer and ordered a set of two Red Tac Gear beanbags (<span style="font-weight: bold">Tactical Pillow</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">Rear Bag, aka Original Bean Bag</span>). I use both of them.

The range I shoot at most of the time is oriented uphill, so the more distant targets require substantial muzzle elevation when shooting prone. I use a Harris BRM-S (6"-9") and while I prefer to get as low to the ground as I can, using the smaller Rear Bag/Original Bean Bag strains my neck and compromises my cheek weld so I wind-up using the Tactical Pillow. The Rear Bag/Original Bean Bag works great off the bench.

Are you using a Harris bipod? If you are then you only have one more notch of elevation left, so maybe you should try using a taller bipod (LM Series in a Harris) in conjunction with a Tactical Pillow. The additional height of an LM Series will provide extra elevation should you need it if and when you go with a Tactical Pillow.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it more desirable to be in the lowest position when prone or is it a matter of preference. </div></div>

Lower is better. As long as you have the elevation to hit the target.

If however your body is shaped so as to prevent a low prone you have to make concessions.

Don't get into that habit of thinking if it's not comfortable, then it's not correct. That is nonsense. Many extremely stable shooting positions are not comfortable at all. They are just tolerated for the time required to engage the target. "Snapping in" or forcing your body into the correct position time and time again will stretch the muscles and build the muscles that are required for that position. The discomfort will wane and you will be able to hold certain positions for longer.

When talking about prone you have to figure out WHERE the discomfort is coming from. When I am prone on a concrete slab I rarely extend the legs of my 6-9" bipod. I can hold that position for hours. My neck will get a little stiff if I am on the scope for that long, and my eyes will start to burn.

However I am not you.

If your body shape will actually not allow you to lay down with your chest and chin on the deck, then you may need to use an alternate position.

Just like everyone else said,lower is better. I made a "redneck" rear bag by using a sock and filling it with beans. For me it has more adjustability than anything I've seen that's store bought. Just my 2 cents

Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it more desirable to be in the lowest position when prone or is it a matter of preference. </div></div>

Lower is better. As long as you have the elevation to hit the target.

If however your body is shaped so as to prevent a low prone you have to make concessions.

Don't get into that habit of thinking if it's not comfortable, then it's not correct. That is nonsense. Many extremely stable shooting positions are not comfortable at all. They are just tolerated for the time required to engage the target. "Snapping in" or forcing your body into the correct position time and time again will stretch the muscles and build the muscles that are required for that position. The discomfort will wane and you will be able to hold certain positions for longer.

When talking about prone you have to figure out WHERE the discomfort is coming from. When I am prone on a concrete slab I rarely extend the legs of my 6-9" bipod. I can hold that position for hours. My neck will get a little stiff if I am on the scope for that long, and my eyes will start to burn.

However I am not you.

If your body shape will actually not allow you to lay down with your chest and chin on the deck, then you may need to use an alternate position. </div></div>

This was very helpful. I have actually never fired a rifle prone, I have never needed to. But as I said, I am trying to learn to shoot F-class by reading and teaching myself. I am also dry firing from a prone position on a shooting mat. The discomfort comes from laying on the ribs. If I raise up a few inches ribs are off the ground. Just for reference I am 5'11" 205lbs. I figured I needed to stretch those muscles before I actually showed up to a match. If lower is better then I will go with that.

Discomfort is one thing. Pain is another. Make sure you know the difference.

If you experience any pain laying prone you may want to talk to your doctor. If it's just a little soreness, then it will pass.

If you are a real Marine sniper, then what you consider uncomfortable might be downright painful for average Joe.

Not so much so.

IMHO Pain is a signal from the body that damage is occurring or has occurred. You MUST take note of this and evaluate it. Sometimes the situation dictates that you push through it even though more damage may occur. Obviously this is NOT the case with recreational shooting.

Discomfort is just that. It's your body advising you that it's under stress it was not equipped to handle. Sometimes we have to endure this to prepare the body to handle the stress on a regular basis. It's no big deal and doesn't even require any recovery.

If you have ever had to recover from a serious injury and go through physical therapy then you know what I am talking about. It's something that weight lifters, long distance runners and other athletes know well.