• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Prone position question

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I had a quick question about the prone position. When I set my cheek down on the butt of the rifle it moves my POA, which I then adjust for. My question is whether thats supposed to happen? Is the rifle supposed to be so rock solid before you set your cheek down that nothing moves or is that normal for the POA to move as you set the cheek down.

I know that your supposed to set up your position first and then adjust for NPA, and I do. I just wanted to know if my head is applying too much pressure on the rifle.

Also, my stock is a comfortable size for me to position my head on without adding a thick cheek plate. Is there something I should add to make sure I have the exact same cheek position on the rifle? Currently I just scoot back till the edge of the eye relief. My vortex has a short eye relief so my comfortable position is literally on the edge of the eye relief, which works out.

Re: Prone position question

I don't claim to be one of those who knows everything about everything, or even anything about anything for that matter- but I'd humbly offer input....

When you say that setting your cheek down on the stock (getting "stockweld" or whatever we wanna call it) changes point of aim - are you shooting with a sling or bipods or what?

I've never thought about it much until just typing here now, but my opinion either way would be that its normal to expect POA to shift a bit once your face is now contacting and pushing against the rear of the rifle- so not too worry - yeah it changes POA but then you adjust and get that nice solid position before the shot like you mentioned.

And about your last question - if I interpret it correctly you want to know if you should put a reference point on the stock to make sure you've got the same cheek position each time -
    A couple humble and thrifty things you could do on this one - just think outside the box to determine which is best for you. When I want some type of reference point on a weapon - for optics or whatnot - I just make a mark with a paint pen. So you could get your perfect position and then have a buddy trace around your face with a paint pen onto the stock - but that’s obviously gonna be something you can't see once you are in position, so maybe put a little bit of that rough medical tape on the stock so you can feel it with your cheek each time without looking (just ideas here)

Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting using a bipod and my shoulder. Last two times I bought some rabbit ear type sandbags from walmart and used those. It helped me stabilize the rifle but made me feel like I didn't have as much recoil control. So I actually just ordered the Tab sandbag for the rear and hopefully that will help that situation.

While I got you guys here, has anybody noticed the harris type bipods have rolling legs. Why would they do this??? I have a hard time loading the bipod sometimes because the legs start spinning! I'm not loading it hard enough for the legs to slip, just rather the little feet start spinning. Its the most annoying thing ever! I am about ready to just drop super glue down the legs in there, is there a reason not to? Do the legs spin for a reason?

A proper stock-weld is achieved by resting the full weight of the head upon the comb of the stock. It is often observed as a chipmunk cheek, as the cheek will roll over the comb. Also, the key word here is "resting", not pushing, and not lifting, just resting. In addition, the stock-weld is just one factor of a steady position. It is established after the butt of the stock is brought to the head and thereafter placed in the pocket formed in the shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A proper stock-weld is achieved by resting the full weight of the head upon the comb of the stock. It is often observed as a chipmunk cheek, as the cheek will roll over the comb. Also, the key word here is "resting", not pushing, and not lifting, just resting. In addition, the stock-weld is just one factor of a steady position. It is established after the butt of the stock is brought to the head and thereafter placed in the pocket formed in the shoulder. </div></div>

Thanks fr the good explanation. This is what I did yesterday and recoil managment seemed shoot or miss.out of my 5 or so 3-5 shot strings only 1 of them felt great. From what I thought my position felt right, but every time the rifle would recoil to the side were I would momentarly lose site of the bull and it wouldn't return to first position. One of the time's though it did exactly as it was supposed to. I was completely surprised, every shot threw the rifle directly back and it settled right back on the NPA. Not even reloading and doing follow up shots pretty fast changed the NPA.

The problem is, I didn't feel like I did ANYTHING different on that round. Obviously I did, is there something in particular I should be looking out for to trace back the problem? The main problem is the rifle not recoil straight back but a bit to the side and because of that doesn't return to the NPA.

Here's my exact process I do to get in position:
    1.lay down behind the rifle and aim the scope in the targets general direction

2.start 'building' my psotition and getting comfortable around the rifle

3.Make sure the rifle is into my shoulder and lay my head down comfortably onto the comb

4.adjust position by moving body left/right and adjusting sandbag(for up/down) until crosshairs are just a smidge above target.

5.go just slightly forward to load the bipod and this usually puts the crosshairs right on.

6.Close eye's for a second or two and then open to make sure NPA is right on

Is there something in this process thats wrong, or something I should look at more carefully, to make sure the rifle recoil's straight back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring the comb to your head (chin) rather than head to the comb; and then, place the butt in the pocket formed in the shoulder. Right now, I'd say the position is too low. </div></div>
    ok thanks for the advice I'll try to pay attention to that. I should be going tmrw morning to a 500yrd match, so maybe I can get one of the guys there to look at my position.

Sounds like you are doing things right but, Here's what I would do in more detail.

Get into prone shooting position and close your eyes, relax and shift your cheek and neck/head position to provide the least amount of strain and as comfortable as possible, if your eye relief is not right after opening your eyes, adjust your scope not your body or head.

Repeat and adjust your cheek position to the most comfortable position with the stock solidly on the bony ridge of your cheekbones, if after you open your eyes you are still looking through your scope with a clear image, your're good, if you are low, you may need a stock pack or cheekpiece depending on height needed, or maybe changing ring height to adjust.

After you do that, get back into prone position, get on target, close your eyes, shift your position, pick up your rifle and get it set solidly against your shoulder in the pocket, if you are no longer on target, change your position and repeat until you stay on target after opening your eyes.

Get a good rear bag, rest your cheek with the weight of your head with enough downward force to help handle recoil jump, do the close and open eye stuff and reposition etc, and then adjust you bipod height accordingly.

For recoil management, you should get into position so that after firing with recoil, you are still pointed directly on target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you are doing things right but, Here's what I would do in more detail.

Get into prone shooting position and close your eyes, relax and shift your cheek and neck/head position to provide the least amount of strain and as comfortable as possible, if your eye relief is not right after opening your eyes, adjust your scope not your body or head.

Repeat and adjust your cheek position to the most comfortable position with the stock solidly on the bony ridge of your cheekbones, if after you open your eyes you are still looking through your scope with a clear image, your're good, if you are low, you may need a stock pack or cheekpiece depending on height needed, or maybe changing ring height to adjust.

After you do that, get back into prone position, get on target, close your eyes, shift your position, pick up your rifle and get it set solidly against your shoulder in the pocket, if you are no longer on target, change your position and repeat until you stay on target after opening your eyes.

Get a good rear bag, rest your cheek with the weight of your head with enough downward force to help handle recoil jump, do the close and open eye stuff and reposition etc, and then adjust you bipod height accordingly.

For recoil management, you should get into position so that after firing with recoil, you are still pointed directly on target. </div></div>
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try to do this.

The other thing that I discovered after alot more research, is to make sure I'm straight behind the rifle. It feels like I am, but I've never had anyone verify that I am or not, so this could be the cause as well.
    I know my spine is supposed to be parallel with the rifle, but is it supposed to be directly behind(right handed) or slightly off center to the left of the rifle(still parallel).

A good solid rear bag is definitely a must. Use your off-hand to squeeze the bag, that will allow you to make minor elevation adjustments as well as giving the butt a stable platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daveog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good solid rear bag is definitely a must. Use youroff-hand to squeeze the bag, that will allow you to make minor elevation adjustments as well as giving the butt a stable platform.</div></div> It is definitely not a must. Also, it's the ground which provides the most stable platform. The idea is to transfer the stability of the ground into the position through bone/artificial support. There are no one size fits all techniques to maximize bone/artificial support; yet, the elements of a steady position are the same for all; and, the factors of a solid position must be applied by all consistently. In addition, since a proper position may feel unnatural to an inexperienced shooter, a coach's observation of the shooter is paramount to correct obvious shooter, gun, and ground relationship errors, as well as better assure correct muscle memory development.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daveog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good solid rear bag is definitely a must. Use youroff-hand to squeeze the bag, that will allow you to make minor elevation adjustments as well as giving the butt a stable platform.</div></div> It is definitely not a must. Also, it's the ground which provides the most stable platform. The idea is to transfer the stability of the ground into the position through bone/artificial support. There are no one size fits all techniques to maximize bone/artificial support; yet, the elements of a steady position are the same for all; and, the factors of a solid position must be applied by all consistently. In addition, since a proper position may feel unnatural to an inexperienced shooter, a coach's observation of the shooter is paramount to correct obvious shooter, gun, and ground relationship errors, as well as better assure correct muscle memory development.</div></div>

Honestly, do you have any clue how different a sling supported prone position is from one where the rifle is supported by a bipod?

Does anyone ever shoot prone unsupported anymore or is it just me?

I mean I like the rear bag and bipod, but sometimes it's fun to go total unsupported or use the sling wrap-around...

(Highpower and smallbore days)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone ever shoot prone unsupported anymore</div></div>

That's about all I shoot. I believe it's more accurate, especiely while shooting rapid fire.

The only way you can prevent the rifle from changing POA when you get behind it is if it's in a shooting vice and that takes all the fun out of it.

What I tend to do is get behind the rifle and move it to a NPA while looking through the scope BEFORE any part of my body touches it. I'll get it settled on target (or as close as possible) and make sure it's seated nice and snug on the bag then I'll take my cheekweld and fine tune from there with the bag.

If you're shooting off a bipod that has a pan/tilt feature, the margin of error is much larger as all it's doing is pivoting on an already stable base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That's a beautiful shot of your car in the mountains. Take one like it of your butt. It will help us know more to make suggestions. ;)) </div></div>

Butt of the rifle, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies. I have been shooting using a bipod and my shoulder. Last two times I bought some rabbit ear type sandbags from walmart and used those. It helped me stabilize the rifle but made me feel like I didn't have as much recoil control. So I actually just ordered the Tab sandbag for the rear and hopefully that will help that situation.

While I got you guys here, has anybody noticed the harris type bipods have rolling legs. Why would they do this??? I have a hard time loading the bipod sometimes because the legs start spinning! I'm not loading it hard enough for the legs to slip, just rather the little feet start spinning. Its the most annoying thing ever! I am about ready to just drop super glue down the legs in there, is there a reason not to? Do the legs spin for a reason? </div></div>

Hard to go wrong with TAB's rear bag. It makes life much easier compared to the other methods I've bastardized trying to re-invent the wheel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daveog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good solid rear bag is definitely a must. Use youroff-hand to squeeze the bag, that will allow you to make minor elevation adjustments as well as giving the butt a stable platform.</div></div> It is definitely not a must. Also, it's the ground which provides the most stable platform. The idea is to transfer the stability of the ground into the position through bone/artificial support. There are no one size fits all techniques to maximize bone/artificial support; yet, the elements of a steady position are the same for all; and, the factors of a solid position must be applied by all consistently. In addition, since a proper position may feel unnatural to an inexperienced shooter, a coach's observation of the shooter is paramount to correct obvious shooter, gun, and ground relationship errors, as well as better assure correct muscle memory development.</div></div> Honestly, do you have any clue how different a sling supported prone position is from one where the rifle is supported by a bipod? </div></div>Proneshooter

Who said anything about slings? There are a multitude of artificial supports which can help to transfer the stability of the ground into the position. Yet, of these, the rear bag is problematic in that it may force a position that's too low, when shooting a standard rifle from the prone position. The consequence may be vertical dispersion. And, if the inexperienced shooter does not correctly analyze this, such dispersion could be attributed to errors in other arenas, thus hindering marksmanship development, as well as good hits at distance. Did you not know about this? Surely, one who describes himself as a "proneshooter" would have some knowledge about the possible effects of a position that's too low.

All

With, or without artificial support, the elements and factors of a steady position are the same; and, without some knowledge about these elements and factors, to promote a good start, the inexperienced shooter will have trouble, no matter what aids to good shooting he has brought to the firing line. And, since what's correct may be unnatural to the inexperienced shooter, he may not, without coach intervention, come to comprehend the effects of his particular relationships with the gun, and the ground, thus thwarting proper motor memory development.

The core issue here is the inexperienced shooter may begin with the notion that a powerful scope, accurate rifle, match grade ammunition, and a bipod will get him the desired results. He goes to the firing line not knowing how to properly use this equipment, and, more importantly, he goes to the firing line not knowing anything about marksmanship. However, equating equipment to what's important to good shooting, rather than marksmanship, he stumbles terribly, and shows up here with questions about how to use the equipment. Thing is, these questions are from a mindset that's focused on aids to good shooting rather than on marksmanship. After all, this inexperienced shooter still thinks he knows how to shoot. He does not realize that executing the two firing tasks, or getting good hits on targets which can be hit intuitively is not the equivalent of actually knowing how to it.

Unfortunately, some here, with no more knowledge of marksmanship than the man in the moon, will advise the inexperienced shooters coming here about how they can better apply their gadgets. An example of this is the poster who advised, "a good solid rear bag is definitely a must". Shooters who get good hits from the prone position using bone alone prove it is definitely not a must. Of course, maybe, for someone who does not know how to build a proper prone unsupported position, the rear bag, sandbags, bipod, rucks and other stuff could be perceived as musts. Don't get me wrong, it would be stupid not to use any artificial support you can muster; but realize, while these may aid good shooting, they are not substitutes for basic prone marksmanship skill. This is what ArticLight and kraigWY were alluding to, more diplomatically than me.

I went to the range again yesterday and used the TAB bag. It made things more comfortable, but did not help accuracy. I would have to agree with sterling based on my own inexperienced opinion. I went from nothing but the shoulder, to a bad sandbag to the TAB sandbag over the last couple weeks and groups didn't change at all. They all subsequently might have made things a bit easier to set up and faster correction after recoil if I was thrown off a bit, so I will still be using it, but not for accuracy reasons.

I only put 10 shots through the 308 yesterday, so did have much practice but I wasn't still wasn't able to align myself properly to get the rifle to recoil striahgt back and set back into the NPA. Gonna have to keep trying I suppose

They may not be substitutes for skill, but they can enhance the results for a person with a given skill level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it would be stupid not to use any artificial support you can muster; but realize, while these may aid good shooting, they are not substitutes for basic prone marksmanship skill. </div></div>

Of course they do, at distances the target can be hit intutitively, that's to say, at distances which do not require an exact understanding for where the barrel is pointed for a good hit. In that regard, magnification, and support can be applied for good results without a need for an understanding of the basics.

Timeline, would you mind completing your profile please? Its just one of the simple rules of participation, but there is something more important.

Remember those clowns who crashed planes into buildings having taken flying lessons for years right here under our dumbass noses? Same thing here. We don't want to be stupid teaching some other jihadist how shoot a VIP. Anyone can tinypic a pic of a Vette in the American mountains. Right?

I'm a lawyer and a friend who is a former US Attorney is urging me to stop being naive. I'm trying.

No email on your profile even? Do me this one little favor please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timeline, would you mind completing your profile please? Its just one of the simple rules of participation, but there is something more important.

Remember those clowns who crashed planes into buildings having taken flying lessons for years right here under our dumbass noses? Same thing here. We don't want to be stupid teaching some other jihadist how shoot a VIP. Anyone can tinypic a pic of a Vette in the American mountains. Right?

I'm a lawyer and a friend who is a former US Attorney is urging me to stop being naive. I'm trying.

</div></div>

That's an interesting request. who says he'll be 100% honest if he's a bad guy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timeline, would you mind completing your profile please? Its just one of the simple rules of participation, but there is something more important.

</div></div>
    The guys over at Azprc have met me, and so has mike from southwest ammunition but since it will make you feel better I filled out a couple things in my profile
    wink.gif
    That picture was taken right next to my place in good ole arizona!

Yeah, awesome you guys. This is going to revolutionize airport security. No more scanners, no more metal detectors even. Just "Are you a terrorist?"
    'No.'
    "Well can you tell me a hobby or two and the name of a town in the US?"
    'I like romantic walks on the beach and dancing, and I'm from New York City."
    'Oh, now we're a little less nervous! This was COMPLETELY useful and highly unlikely if you were a terrorist you would have been able to come up with this!!!"

Anyway, the rest here, I'm sure know more than I do about this topic, but I just wanted to say that from other skills I have learned where body mechanics are important, what feels unnatural at first will become natural feeling after time, and what feels the best right away isn't always the best way to do things. From a physics standpoint, straight back seems the way to go to me as the recoil will be stopped most directly and the muzzle moved straight up and not up and to the side.

Just wanted to to add something. Last time I went I made major improvements on recoil management and having the rifle go back to the original spot. For anyone else having trouble this is wht I did differently...

I positioned the rifle on the bipod and sandbag to be barely touching my shoulder for slight stabilization. Then adjusted it until it pointed at my target(or very close), but still with barely touching me in any way. Then I 'fell down' on the rifle to a comfortable shoulder and cheek weld,attempting to move the rifle as little as possible.... So all pressures on the rifle would be evened out by an equal pressure from the other side for this to work.

So for example putting your cheek down would move POA to the left but you can counter that with slightly more shoulder pressure. Basically, doing this, I was able to 50% of the time get the sought after recoil that went straight to the rear and settled almost right back on the target. The 50% of the time it didn't was because I moved the rifle while settling in around it. It's hard not to, but the more I did it the better I got at it. You can check if you are good between shots and such by backing off the rifle and making sure its still at your POA.

Hopefully that helps someone else thats learning to get recoil management down. I've never seen a technique described this way, and seems to work for me. Its kind of combining your own NPA with the rifles NPA.

This VASLTY improved my 200 yard's groups by cutting them almost in half(one was .3MOA but I know that was random/luck)

ALSO one of the things I realized that makes it harder for some of us, is if you have a hunting type stock. Not the 'tactical' ones with a flat bottom, but the ones that are diagonal in the back. I noticed the time's that it did move after recoil was because the sandbag naturally slid down ever so slightly down the angle's rear of the stock. Gotta come up with a quick fix for this.