• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prone Shooting Glasses

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
I've had some cheap sunglasses and some Oakley "Gascan" glasses that I've used out in the field but I have not been happy with them when shooting prone. I usually have some of the frame blocking out my sight picture. Anyone have any recommendations of glasses that ride a bit higher for shooting prone?

Don't wear any..........

But seriously if I do wear them I wear my gas cans and don't have that problem. If you like that style look into the Oakley glasses with the same square look but bigger lenses.

Your head position is probably more angled forward if the gascans aren't working, ie you are pointing your forehead forward and looking up at an angle to look through the glass.

Last edited:
Don't wear any..........

But seriously if I do wear them I wear my gas cans and don't have that problem. If you like that style look into the Oakley glasses with the same square look but bigger lenses.

Your head position is probably more angled forward if the gascans aren't working, ie you are pointing your forehead forward and looking up at an angle to look through the glass.

I don't wear any on my own now, but I shot a match a few weeks back and I was required to have me eyes on.

Also, I'm really not too concerned with the look here. I'd wear spectacles if they were what the sniper ordered.

Yea look for something with a larger lense or see about adjusting your head position if you can so that your head is closer to level and looking as straight ahead as possible.

I have no problems with Oakley Radars. Mine have curves in the lens that keep them off of my cheek.

Just FYI you can get them in the "Shooting Specific" lens again. (G26)

These are the lenses i was talking about. They don't hit my cheeks when I get down on the rifle.
LixXvRw.png

Last edited:
Oakley M-Frame is the only ones I've used that aren't in the way. They also have a version with slim arms that fit better under muffs.

Randolf Ranger frames.

They sit higher up on the face so work better for shooting.

Easily swappable lenses for different shooting conditions. I have yellow for indoors and overcast. Brown for bright days (brown enhances contrast) and target purple for clays.

I have mine in prescription from Morgan Optical. Morgan is a long time trap shooter and they can advise as to colors for various needs.

I have the old Gargoyle glasses, several pairs. They have pretty good protection and came in lots of shades and are my go-to glasses for just about anytime I need protective or ballistic lenses. Not sure if you can find 'em anymore, but they were the tits. I have some ReVision or whatever they are called, that are more like protective googles, but low profile and good peripheral sight --kind of like big Speedo glasses? Worth checking out, like I said, I have a pair but haven't use 'em yet. For some folks, the ESS goggles actually seem to work well. You know, the big ones that go on helmets? They can be adjusted for use without a helmet and for some, they like this.

I'm sure there are others, but bear in mind that anything ESS makes is the military grade arm of Oakley. There's another brand, Wiley X and they used to be popular back in the day. Not sure about today, again, worth checking. Lots of good eye pro out there now as opposed to 15 years ago.

I ordered the ESS ICE glasses with the different lenses. I also got a pair of regular glasses from them. What sold me was their reasonable price and the fact that they are a subsidiary of Oakley, but even more, that they are what our troops use.

There is a very informative article at Eye Protection and Shooting Glasses Review - LuckyGunner.com Labs where the guy tests a variety of eye protection. What I had not appreciated was the degradation that apparently occurs from exposure to UV. The up to date APEL list is at https://peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/ plus a poster.

Personally I use the Smith Optics Aegis Echo with their RX inserts. It rides high enough on me for prone but facial shape will play a part. I like that the Aegis Echo design accounts for wearing over-ear protection as ESS do with the Suppressor glasses.