• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prone shooting

DocDAJ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2014
Northern Nevada
I'm starting as a 100 yd shooter and I want to build to a 1000 yd shooter. I have built up to 300 yds and I'm shooting 1.5-2.5 in. groups. I try to refocus on my shooting basics with each shot, breathing, natural point of aim, etc. my problem is that when I'm shooting prone I line up right behind my rifle, load the bipod consistently and get my consistent cheek weld but I have to maintain enough muscle tension in my shoulders and back that I am shaking after about 10 rounds. Can anybody give me some advice on a better shooting position? I'm concerned I'm developing a bad habit in my position which will really effect me when I push the target out farther.
Thanks to the experts in advance.

I was able to learn how to do this by watching the Rifles Only Fundemantals DVD. Jacob takes it step by step on making a prone shot.

The only muscle tension I have while in the prone position is my bicep pulling the rifle into my shoulder pocket.

I don't pull the rifle with anything. I setup and let my body position put the weight against the stock to load the bipod.
It is basically trapping the rifle between the bipod and my body. Then I relax everything and settle into a regular breathing pattern.
Then I put finger to trigger and slowly apply pressure and let that pressure build during normal respiratory pause until the trigger breaks.
I continue to apply the pressure to the trigger until I see the shot hit the target. It works pretty well for me at my current skill level.

but I have to maintain enough muscle tension in my shoulders and back that I am shaking after about 10 rounds.

If you're shaking shooting 10 rnds then you're fighting the position. The harder you fight to maintain the position the worse it is going to get. As stated prone is a relaxed position behind the gun you should be able to stay there for more than ten rnds without feeling like you've been to the gym. Consider taking a precision rifle class to reinforce good technic.

Last edited:
I'm starting as a 100 yd shooter and I want to build to a 1000 yd shooter. I have built up to 300 yds and I'm shooting 1.5-2.5 in. groups. I try to refocus on my shooting basics with each shot, breathing, natural point of aim, etc. my problem is that when I'm shooting prone I line up right behind my rifle, load the bipod consistently and get my consistent cheek weld but I have to maintain enough muscle tension in my shoulders and back that I am shaking after about 10 rounds. Can anybody give me some advice on a better shooting position? I'm concerned I'm developing a bad habit in my position which will really effect me when I push the target out farther.
Thanks to the experts in advance.

You are using muscle to get your sight picture. You are effectively using your shoulder muscles to maintain aim. Try this: Shoulder the rifle, allowing it to point where it wants. Do not steer to target. Your NPA will likely be somewhere off the target. Adjust NPA using entire body to get the desired sight picture. You should now be on target in a muscularly relaxed condition, which means less movement and more consistent recoil resistance.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice I get in these forums. Palomino Valley Gun Club, I have found out, offers classes for beginners. I think I'll try to get into a class. In the mean time I going to try the suggestions in my dry fire practice.