• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing pronghorn rifle.

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
my father and i are going pronghorn hunting this october. he has a rem 700 7mm so he is ok. the only rifles rifles i have at the moment are a long range 260 that weighs 19.2lbs. and a 300wby. im thinking of trying to find a light weight bullet for the wby or buying a gun.

if i buy a gun what calibers do you recomend. im leaning toward a 243ish rifle or a 25 cal. what do you pronghorn hunters recomend

Re: pronghorn rifle.

It's just like anything else, it's all in where you hit them. They aren't hard to kill with a well placed shot. A 243 would be great, 25/06, lighter 260, 708. Find something you'd like to have, practice with it, and you'll be good to go!

never hunted pronghorn before but I have seen posts by members on here who have and who have used the 243...I use a 243 as my primary hunting rifle....about to take it on a corsican ram hunt this Thursday. It works great for hunting and there are people who recommend it for almost everything. i started a thread to see if I could use it for wild boar and nobody had anything bad to say about that round.

I shoot all my speed Goats with a 10lb Lapua.Most say its unethicle but I say F*** it dead is dead. Any way make sure you pick somthing that bucks the wind well. Alot of people seem to like the .257 Wea Mag with a 100gr bullet.

Pete

Doesn't take a big rifle to kill antelope. Something that does well in the wind helps, the 243 does well as do most of the standard deer hunting calibers.

Unless you just want to buy a new rifle, I would take the 300 Wby and just use lighter bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: retrieverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you just want to buy a new rifle, I would take the 300 Wby and just use lighter bullets. </div></div>

i know i wont know for sure until i try, but i have a 1-10 twist. im GUESSING 150ish will be the lightest it likes. ive been thinging of getting a new coyote gun. im leaning towards a built 700 in 243. mabye i can buy a 700 243 and use for the hunt, then use the action for a build at a later date. if i buy id like to get a 700 .383 colt face in a short action. that way i can build alot of diffrent calibers

The 243 is perfect for pronghorn...............personaly I use a 257 Roberts but thats because my wife wont let me have her 243.

25-06 25-06 25-06 25-06 25-06 25-06!!!
laugh.gif

If you want a .243 anyway than by all means go shopping!! It's plenty of antelope rifle, try an 85 grain Hornady Interbond. I've taken lots of antelope with a .243

Use the 300 Weatherby with a lighter weight bullet. My father has killed over 15 antelope with that rifle (300 Weatherby Mark V) and I have killed 5 with a 7mm Weatherby Mark V.

I use a .270 with 130g barnes ttsx..at about 3,100 fps. Drops them where they stand.

Pronghorn rifle hunting is for the most part spot and shoot, with possibly a little getting into position. Most shots will be across flats/open space with almost guaranteed wind. You have the rifles already to handle this. Work on your windcalling and train with both on UKD to see what works best for you. The things aren't big, even a kill shot will send them running unless you get em in a spot that just drops em on the spot.

good luck handling the stench. I hate the way those things smell and taste.

i ordered a tc venture 243 today. sub moa garentee with anu factory ammo and cost 430 to my door after transfer fees. should do well on antolope and coyotes.

A 7mm or 300 with lighter bullets would be just fine. Those are made to reach out and touch something at greater distances.

If you want to downsize a bit for a pure antelope, coyote, small deer and hog rifle, this might be the perfect reason to set up a 6.5-284 custom. With a Surgeon action, 25-inch 7/8" match barrel, Jewel trigger, McMillan A5 stock, Zeiss glass with Near base, etc, etc, etc, assembled by a good smith.

Maybe find a benchrest enthusiast who just wants to move up to 7mm from the 6.5, has 800 rounds through his rig, and is ready to sell it for less than replacement cost. Have an inch or two lopped off the receiver end of the barrel and get the stock adjusted for yourself. Should be good to go for pronghorn then.

My son has dropped them on the spot with a well placed shot out to 250 yards with a stock Rem 700 .243 Youth rifle (factory 100gr SP). .243 is plenty for them as they are not that large and are thin skinned. My rifle for them is a sporterized Mauser in 6.5x55 and it does well also. I have also taken them out to 500 yards with a .308 (using my GAP).

Whatever you choose should be fine, bullet types and placement are always key.

I use a 300WM with 200AB since I already have it out there with me for elk. If I were to build a gun specifically for antelope, however, it would be a 243AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to build a gun specifically for antelope, however, it would be a 243AI.</div></div>

Bingo. something in a 6mm with a fast enough twist to shoot the mid to heavy grain bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i ordered a tc venture 243 today. sub moa garentee with anu factory ammo and cost 430 to my door after transfer fees. should do well on antolope and coyotes. </div></div>

I have a Venture in 300 win mag. It's a nice rifle. Accurate, nice action, etc but the stock kinda sucks and there really isn't any option for a replacement.

I found though that mine fits a Rem 700 Long Action stock pretty well with some work around the trigger and safety. I have a take off wood 700 LA stock I'm thinking about dripping it into but I'm not sure how to deal with the detachable magazine.

Tom Manners will make a stock that will fit your Venture. He is also making the on the new TC Warlord.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25-06 25-06 25-06 25-06 25-06 25-06!!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

this man knows

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom Manners will make a stock that will fit your Venture. He is also making the on the new TC Warlord. </div></div>

I new he was making Icon stocks and was planning on maybe getting a manners at a later date but then I found out (after the purchase) that the Venture action isn't the same as an Icon action. I thought it was the same, just missing the integral rail and the 3 position safety, but it's not, it's round on the bottom like a rem 700.

Whatever you feel most comfortable in placing a bullet right behind the shoulder with at 500 yards. I've killed dozens with a .308 and .280 but this one was with an AR-15. Iron sights, 69gr Sierra, 780 yards.

Picture112.jpg

Maybe so but at the time I was shooting about 5-10k rounds a year, mostly thru ARs and that rifle was a national match rifle. That doe was so unlucky I hit her twice, once from the other side that didin't exit. I made the hit you see the 1st shot and it made her wobble but she stayed on her feet, it was a kill shot but I didn't know it, missed her the 2nd shot and the 3rd shot put her down.

I know better now, I wouldn't take that shot again.

You've already bought your rifle, but I'll put my two cents into the hat:

NEF Single Shot 25-06 Bull Barrel, Burris 3x9 BDC scope, 47 grains IMR 4350 pushing a 115gr Nosler blue tip Ballistic Tip.

This set up (until I was forced recently to sell it) will kill any Speed Goat alive and do it very humanely, quickly, and NOT destroy the meat!

Speed Goat is TASTY...but you've got to like the taste of Lamb, other wise, grind it up, make sausage out of it....but a word to the wise, AS SOON AS YOU GET IT TAGGED, YANK THE HIDE OFF OF IT POST HASTE........

I kid you not, so many hunters have lost their goat meat because they left the hides on....in 80-100 degree heat, it doesn't take long to undo a LOT of work and leave your freezer less full.

Cheers.

My dear fellow, surely you do but jest?

Speed Goat steaks and roasts are utterly delectable. The KEY, as with any wild critter, is to take care of it properly in the field.

Do they smell a tad when gutting them?

Surely.

The Innards of any critter smells.

I take it you've never gutted a Turkey, wild or domestic before?

The key aspect with Goats is to yank the hide off of them as soon as possible: and I mean as soon as you're done tagging and gutting them, YANK it off!

Dropping them so that they don't run is another correct aspect: no adrenaline in their systems to seize up the muscles.

Shot Placement. Shot Placement. Shot Placement.

NEF 25-06 Bull Barrel, 47 grains IMR 4350 pushing a 115 grain Nosler blue tip Ballistic Tip bullet.

Puts paid to any antelope living.

Cheers.

I think you will be happy with the 243. It is a nice versatile round that you can use for many applications. All the best on your hunt!

.223 works just fine on them. but 243 308 and anything else that you can shoot accurately will work.

You could be like that Western Extreme hunting show and take a 50 BMG!

Seriously, If I were to go for antelope again I would either take a .243, a 25-06, or a .270.
The first two being close to ideal IMO, but my .270 is just cool.

Scrolling through the posts above the 243 AI and 257 wby look like fun. Wby makes a pretty big boom.
260 and 7-08 seem pretty taylor made too.

I have had good antelope. I can remember my kids not leaving a scrap. Antelope is a cool way to hunt. Very western. Haven't done that in a while...

Question on the 243 AI... Whats the difference in the case of it compared to the regular 243 and can you use them interchangeably in a rifle? Or like one in both but not the other in both?

I looked up above for the 243 AI and it appears to be the Ackley Improved version which are a family of cartridges. These cases have a sharper shoulder angle and are created by fire forming using standard .243 factory ammo. Once done the AI case can only be use in an AI chamber and require hand loading from that point on. They usually provide improved ballistics and higher bore ware.

And better case life.
Velocity and bore ware increase is not too big a deal in many of the AI's.
It's not like the .243 is known for long barrel life anyways. It should be a moot point in a hunting rifle.

My biggest gripe with the AI is cleaning that sharp shoulder in the chamber. I guess I just don't have a good system for that yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest gripe with the AI is cleaning that sharp shoulder in the chamber. I guess I just don't have a good system for that yet. </div></div>

Have you tried using brake cleaner, the kind from an aerosol can? Nasty stuff that I only use outside, but it's been very effective so far.

Ranger,

I have some in my gun cleaning kit. What do you do just spray it down the chamber? Sounds messy.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I would add, even though it has already been stated, that antelope meat is my very favorite but I have three criteria for good goat meat. First, don't shoot them when they have been running. Second, get that hide off within an hour or two. And third, don't cook the meat to death.

I have killed antelope with .243, 25-06, 308, 30-06, and 45-70. My only input on caliber is that I don't think any of the 22s are enough for big game all the time.