• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof 223 competition contour 1:7 twist

lycokayaker

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2022
NJ
Hey

does anyone have a proof stainless steel 223 barrel for a bolt gun? Was curious what grain bullets it will handle run. Im debating going for a cheap way rather than have my guy cut me a barrel to spec of a bullet

Bill

Reactions: powdahound76
Hey

does anyone have a proof stainless steel 223 barrel for a bolt gun? Was curious what grain bullets it will handle run. Im debating going for a cheap way rather than have my guy cut me a barrel to spec of a bullet

Bill
Mine loves 88s and seems to stabilize 95s fine from a 28" barrel.

Mines not a Proof prefit but a Proof Comp Contour 7 twist blank that Josh at PVA did a prefit for me and it loves 75 elds. Haven’t shot any light weight bullets through it though. 68grn is the lightest. As mentioned it should do fine with lighter at .223 velocities. There are a lot of 7 twist ARs shooting 55s.

I’ve shot 55gr vmax and 55gr Blitzkings through my 223 proof prefit. Worked really well

Mine shoots 75gr and 69gr scary good. 88gr it does ok and 52 and 55gr it does ok.

Good barrel and will last forever.

When you guys shot these heavier bullets did you have mag feeding problems at all?
my proof has seen a diet of 55fmj for break in and then a light load of 62 bthp's for 100 yard barricade practice and 75 ELD's loaded to jump .035" for long range practice. zero issues feeding... that said I have had issues with snap caps feeding with polymer mdt's, the live rounds have been fine though.

my proof has seen a diet of 55fmj for break in and then a light load of 62 bthp's for 100 yard barricade practice and 75 ELD's loaded to jump .035" for long range practice. zero issues feeding... that said I have had issues with snap caps feeding with polymer mdt's, the live rounds have been fine though.
sweet was thinking about those eld rounds for a trainer and double duty for coyotes. What size groups were you getting with the 75 grain rounds

sweet was thinking about those eld rounds for a trainer and double duty for coyotes. What size groups were you getting with the 75 grain rounds
Screenshot_20221031-162037_Gallery.jpg

Hey so what mags are you running with the 75 ELD's. Did you have a problem with MAX COAL. What did you net out of COAL

Mine likes 77gn. I'm away from home so shooting box stuff, but best I've found is federal match. 26" Zeus QC. Damn barrel weighs 7 pounds

Mine likes 77gn. I'm away from home so shooting box stuff, but best I've found is federal match. 26" Zeus QC. Damn barrel weighs 7 pounds
Good to hear. It was considering one for my Zeus to save money than have a smith make me one