• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Barrel Weight

brazz04

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
I have a question I've been searching for and just can't find an answer for. I currently have a remington 700 SPS with a 20" .308 barrel. From what I understand, it is a sendero profile, but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm wanting to swap the barrel to shed some weight from it, So the thought was an 18" 6.5 Creedmoor swap. I'm just wondering if there is anywhere I can see the weights of a Proof barrel as well and the weight savings it would really save over the current barrel I have. The McGowen barrel calculator gives me a weight of 3.1 lbs for my current 20" barrel. Thanks in advance for any input!

Got it, I was clicking on the wrong area apparently. So am I correct in seeing that a 20" .308 carbon fiber barrel weighs just 6 oz less than my stock barrel? I was just surprised that the weight savings weren't more

Assuming a stock Remington 700, your sendero barrel is not the same contour as a proof CF sendero contour.

The proof CF barrel will be significantly lighter than a steel barrel of comparable contour (M24-MTU). An example a 20” .308 steel M24 contour barrel would weigh ~6lbs. A proof CF sendero barrel 20” .308 would weigh ~3lbs.

Got it, I was clicking on the wrong area apparently. So am I correct in seeing that a 20" .308 carbon fiber barrel weighs just 6 oz less than my stock barrel? I was just surprised that the weight savings weren't more

Gotta compare apples to apples... Carbon has to be thicker in order to be stronger than steel but it will be lighter per a given stiffness.

A proof 18" has a muzzle of like .9" vs your tiny sendero profile... to be as stiff as a steel barrel the proof has to be thicker.

You really only see the weight benefit in long tubes.

Gotta compare apples to apples... Carbon has to be thicker in order to be stronger than steel but it will be lighter per a given stiffness.

A proof 18" has a muzzle of like .9" vs your tiny sendero profile... to be as stiff as a steel barrel the proof has to be thicker.

You really only see the weight benefit in long tubes.

You are correct. CF is stronger than steel BY WEIGHT. Average of 300% stronger and 200% stiffer for the same weight of CF vs Steel.
It looks like the proof contour is about .070 bigger at the same muzzle length vs a bartlien sendero contour. I wonder if this also has to do with how they arrange the weave to radiate heat out vs insulating it into the steel liner.
For a 26" sendero contour a proof is about 2# lighter. At the same 20" your barrel is 3.8# according to my quick math and a proof would be 2.7#. That would be noticeable on the overall balance of the rifle.

Thanks for the info, that much weight savings on a 20" makes much more sense.