• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof CF vs. Craddock Bartlein AR10 barrel??

LongRangeAggie

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2019
Central TX
Need some help deciding between the 22" Proof Carbon Fiber Camgas and the Craddock Precision Bartlein. This will be going on my LaRue that I hunt with chambered in 260 Rem.

How much weight difference between the Proof and a fluted Bartlein? When you pick the gas block diameter on Craddock, does that change the weight/contour too?

Thanks

What profile on the Craddock? He can cut anything you want that will work on an AR10. Yes, the gas block size changes things. You should reach out to them, they can give you an estimated weight with/without flutes.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
What profile on the Craddock? He can cut anything you want that will work on an AR10. Yes, the gas block size changes things. You should reach out to them, they can give you an estimated weight with/without flutes.
Sounds good, I'll reach out. Which would you go with?

Just curious, if you are worried about weight, and are hunting, how far do you plan on shooting? Why not go lightweight 18” or 20”? 20” 260 should easily hit 1K yds even at sea level.

Sounds good, I'll reach out. Which would you go with?

I’ve got two barrels on order (keep in mind AR15 in 6mm ARC) - one 10.5” and one 18”. I don’t like longer than 18” on AR platform rifles or bolt guns for that matter. I shoot out to 1k a lot and it’s plenty to get me there with the right cartridges. Both of my barrels are .750 gas block relatively heavy taper before gas block then obviously smaller for the gas block diameter. I do straight flutes.

One thing great about Craddock - they know what works. Chat with Paul or whomever over there and tell them what you want to accomplish and they can help you pick the right tool for the job! It’s worth the money for the great Bartlein barrels and chambering/work they do, but the advice is invaluable.

Paul Craddock is a great guy, but not likely you'll get him on the phone right now as they are overwhelmed with business, lots of OEM.

I've been waiting for more than 12 weeks for a barrel............tried to call & got some new guy I've never talked to before, told me another month.

But whatever you get from them, it will be good no matter what blank you use................at least for now. I just hope they don't get so busy that they start cutting corners.........I've dealt with Paul since he was at WOA, but it's really hard to get & keep good help right now. Sometimes too much business is not a good thing.

MM

I tried emailing 3-4 times in two different email addresses and never could get ahold of anyone at Craddock. Bought a half a dozen other barrels instead. But hey I hear the Craddock barrels shoot.

Reactions: Earnhardt
Just curious, if you are worried about weight, and are hunting, how far do you plan on shooting? Why not go lightweight 18” or 20”? 20” 260 should easily hit 1K yds even at sea level.
Probably top out at 1000-1250 yds. I've been shooting the Berger 140 EH so the extra length helps me get to 2750-2800fps with H4350. I guess I could go shorter...

Probably top out at 1000-1250 yds. I've been shooting the Berger 140 EH so the extra length helps me get to 2750-2800fps with H4350. I guess I could go shorter...
Smaller port, longer gas system, heavier buffer to help brass make it past one & done.
Shooting suppressed?
If yes, what can?

I picked up a barrel from Craddock earlier this year. It's a 20-inch 308 from a Bartlein blank and a .936GB that's primarily intended for target/PRS style shooting. Groups at 100 yards were good, but it really excelled at longer ranges. I was able to connect with a diamond at 600 yards that was 6"x10" and go 10 for 10. Paul's barrels hold their accuracy out to distance for sure.

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
Smaller port, longer gas system, heavier buffer to help brass make it past one & done.
Shooting suppressed?
If yes, what can?
Yes I will be shooting suppressed with Silencerco Omega. My Lapua brass comes out unharmed with the current LaRue barrel and a SLR AGB. It's just that the LaRue barrel only holds about 1moa with handloads.

Yes I will be shooting suppressed with Silencerco Omega. My Lapua brass comes out unharmed with the current LaRue barrel and a SLR AGB. It's just that the LaRue barrel only holds about 1moa with handloads.

Not shot Larue barrels, but have you checked all the common accuracy culprits such as barrel <-> upper receiver interface? Might get more out of it with some metal shim stock and heating the upper for a tight fit - that's what I'd look at first. Also make sure there's no contact of anything with the handguard (gas tube, block, whatever), taking into consideration barrel whip. Check gas tube alignment. I'm sure they pay attention to this all at the factory, but worth spot checking since it only takes a few minutes. Are you seeing vertical dispersion or horizontal? It may very well be the barrel, just throwing some stuff out there in case it'll save you time/money on a barrel order. I did a quick search and it seems many can get 3/4" out of a Larue Stealth barrel, but not seeing much better - so if you're looking for half minute or better, barrel order is probably the way to go.

Reactions: LongRangeAggie
130 Berger AR hybrid, 22” PredatOBR w/TranQuilo attached.
5E77D68F-BEC1-4DD7-82EC-08F9E0EE8427.jpeg
36A86DF8-D828-46B2-9EBE-7623A2161F57.jpeg

Not had much issue getting below 0.75 MOA from several LaRue 22” PredatOBR bbls in factory configuration.
Do you have a UUK or PredatOBR bbl?
How heavy is buffer?

Not shot Larue barrels, but have you checked all the common accuracy culprits such as barrel <-> upper receiver interface? Might get more out of it with some metal shim stock and heating the upper for a tight fit - that's what I'd look at first. Also make sure there's no contact of anything with the handguard (gas tube, block, whatever), taking into consideration barrel whip. Check gas tube alignment. I'm sure they pay attention to this all at the factory, but worth spot checking since it only takes a few minutes. Are you seeing vertical dispersion or horizontal? It may very well be the barrel, just throwing some stuff out there in case it'll save you time/money on a barrel order. I did a quick search and it seems many can get 3/4" out of a Larue Stealth barrel, but not seeing much better - so if you're looking for half minute or better, barrel order is probably the way to go.
Yes, I've checked all those things. There's no dispersion. Thanks for the advice

D0BC255A-5403-436A-A904-B1DB6F25B0E0.jpeg
75E5D569-4A91-4EB2-9B17-BD444D43EAB0.jpeg

LaRue 22”, UUK, 260
Zeroing scope to this recently acquired upper.
Loaded magazine w/5 rds.
Using a large piece of cardboard @ 100, did a quick mk 1, mod 0 eyeball test to verify not grossly off.
Shot one rd at cardboard, dialed correction on scope, switched to diamond target and shot 4 rds.
Low & right was last round.

130 AR Hybrid @ 2800, LaRue supplied buffer and spring, TranQuilo attached.

2750-2800 w/140 from a 22” AR is possible but takes some special, extra effort gyrations. You’ll want an H3 at minimum, 6.5 oz from Heavy Buffers would be better and an 8.5 oz extra heavy for use with Omega won’t hurt you.

Craddock Precision makes great bbls but 2750-2800 from 22” bbl gas gun 260 w/140s, even with smaller port, longer gas system and suppressed calls out for a heavier buffer. You really want to keep bolt locked up just a little bit longer. Lotta ways to skin a cat but physics is physics, gas guns are not bolt guns. Finding the balance of smoothly cycling while port pressure, gas volume increases due to slower burn rate, charge weight increasing to get desired velocity (2750-2800) is going to make system fairly peaky and temperamental.
Accuracy trumps velocity.

You’ll absolutely love the Craddock Precision barrel.
Don’t be too surprised if Craddock 22”, +2 gas system, 260 barrel shots 140s best at 2700ish though. YMMV

View attachment 7395087View attachment 7395088
LaRue 22”, UUK, 260
Zeroing scope to this recently acquired upper.
Loaded magazine w/5 rds.
Using a large piece of cardboard @ 100, did a quick mk 1, mod 0 eyeball test to verify not grossly off.
Shot one rd at cardboard, dialed correction on scope, switched to diamond target and shot 4 rds.
Low & right was last round.

130 AR Hybrid @ 2800, LaRue supplied buffer and spring, TranQuilo attached.

2750-2800 w/140 from a 22” AR is possible but takes some special, extra effort gyrations. You’ll want an H3 at minimum, 6.5 oz from Heavy Buffers would be better and an 8.5 oz extra heavy for use with Omega won’t hurt you.

Craddock Precision makes great bbls but 2750-2800 from 22” bbl gas gun 260 w/140s, even with smaller port, longer gas system and suppressed calls out for a heavier buffer. You really want to keep bolt locked up just a little bit longer. Lotta ways to skin a cat but physics is physics, gas guns are not bolt guns. Finding the balance of smoothly cycling while port pressure, gas volume increases due to slower burn rate, charge weight increasing to get desired velocity (2750-2800) is going to make system fairly peaky and temperamental.
Accuracy trumps velocity.

You’ll absolutely love the Craddock Precision barrel.
Don’t be too surprised if Craddock 22”, +2 gas system, 260 barrel shots 140s best at 2700ish though. YMMV
Thank you for the great info, I will try a heavier buffer. BTW I have the LaRue lower too. It's a 22". I will definitley settle on 2700ish if the accuracy is there.

I'll update this thread as soon as I get a new barrel for her.

Because it was a matter of time, in-stock, yada
I went with Proof Research CF 24" 6.5CM
and
DRACOS 22" SJ 6.5CM.
Received both in just days.
Best to you.