• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof or WOA for 223 SPR/Varmint 20" 1:8 Barrel?

SMTGWKD

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Building a Prairie Dog slayer/long range 223 and deciding between a 20" 1:8 heavier profile barrel to run.

Had decided on WOA but they only have a 22" in stock right now and I kinda settled on a 20 since I shoot suppressed and velocity difference is about 40-60 fps between the two.

Which would you choose? $330 for the WOA and $440 for the Proof.

Also - would you go varmint profile or SPR/Predator profile if shooting dogs is on the menu?

I actually have a stainless proof 18” 223 barrel. I’ve only took it out once last week to break in the barrel. I shot 24.4g of Varget under a 69smk. (Load is for a different rifle.) Results looked promising . After getting dialed in at 100 yards . I was able to put 5 rounds into around 1/2”. I was breaking in this barrel as I was letting my other rifles barrel cool during load development. I definitely need to spend some time and see what this barrel is capable of. As far as WOA they are great people and are only about an hour from me. I’ve used their handguards on a couple of builds. Their barrel nut/handguard design is the best I’ve found.
Here’s a pic . As far as their barrels I don’t have much experience with them.
AFDA1D08-E236-4F55-861D-B912AC46A0E6.png

I would disagree with the 7 twist if it’s for prairie dogs. The more explosive varmint bullets are going to do better with the 8 twist.
I'm sure the lighter varmint bullets would do better in the the 1-8 twist but that's not what I was talking about. The OP said Prairie dogs/Long Range and the last prairie dog or Rock Chuck I shot seemed to die just as good with a 77gr SMK.

Locked and loaded. Com
Sells them for around $475 shipped
That’s not bad for a cut rifle hand lapped barrel - if it shoots.

Locked and loaded. Com
Sells them for around $475 shipped
That’s not bad for a cut rifle hand lapped barrel - if it shoots.
It's amazing what happens when people use the Google button.🙄

They're actually down to $405 on LockedLoaded.

I've used them a few times, fast shipping too

Just know what I paid a few weeks ago . Picked up a 6.5 stainless proof as well. Now to see how they compare to the kreiger/bart.
Here’s a screenshot of my reciept. Looks like I paid $430 for my 6.5 also.
274702B9-DBC8-4D49-B4C9-200F3FBC74D6.jpeg
$488 after tax etc..

I'm sure the lighter varmint bullets would do better in the the 1-8 twist but that's not what I was talking about. The OP said Prairie dogs/Long Range and the last prairie dog or Rock Chuck I shot seemed to die just as good with a 77gr SMK.
Totally valid! However, my 1:8 desire is precisely to try 40 and 53 grain VMax and/or Nosler Ballistic Tips to blow those suckers up.

My go to load for my 223/5.56 rifles is almost exclusively 75 grain BTHP over 24.0 Varget and CCI 450s. Shoots sub MOA in every rifle I own currently. I'm hopeful the 1:8 will still stabilize that well enough for long range work.

Reactions: JS8588
It's still hard to argue with 275 bucks for a WOA at brownells.
I had decided on the Predator or Varmint profile with WOA - think the SPR is heavy enough for the P-dogs and strings of fire there?

It's still hard to argue with 275 bucks for a WOA at brownells.

You cant even compare those Brownells WOA barrels to a hand cut Proof barrel. If they were Bartlein or Krieger blank WOA barrels then they would be in the same league.

You cant even compare those Brownells WOA barrels to a hand cut Proof barrel. If they were Bartlein or Krieger blank WOA barrels then they would be in the same league.
Talking with WOA yesterday, they mentioned they use PacNor blanks for their 20 Practical barrels. Not sure which blanks they use for 223 wylde - maybe wilson?

My 20" 1:7 Proof SS barrel shoots 0.5MOA regularly with 77SMK and TAC/Varget powders in LC brass.

My WOA spr weighs 12.2 lbs with a standard AR lower and buttstock, athlon 1-10 Ares ETR, and ADM delta mount. Loaded 20 round mag of 77 gr as well.

So it's a pretty heavy barrel. It's a full inch in diameter up to the gas block and then it is .750 ish out to the muzzle. I get 2750 with 8208 and a 77 SMK and that is not pushing it in this rifle. With fast powders and light bullets you can do well in a 18 inch barrel. You can also hunt deer and elk (I know, I know, save me your pearl clutching there Karen) with the right bullets.

So you get a handy and maneuverable gun that will do what you want and a whole bunch more. The complete uppers used to be like 750 bucks, which is what I have.

Also, that rifle is as light as I can keep it. You could get yours nice and heavy for bench shooting if you wanted.

LMK if you want anymore specs or info.

The light varmint bullets have shot great for me in everything from 7 to 12. I have killed a lot of praise dogs with 77SMKs, and if its windy here or the shots are pushing past 650, I like it better than the lighter bullets. But I shoot a lot more 53 v-max at prairie dogs than anything else. The 77SMK kills them fine, but if you want splats and flops, the lighter hollow point and ballistic tip bullets are much more spectacular to watch impact.

The light varmint bullets have shot great for me in everything from 7 to 12. I have killed a lot of praise dogs with 77SMKs, and if its windy here or the shots are pushing past 650, I like it better than the lighter bullets. But I shoot a lot more 53 v-max at prairie dogs than anything else. The 77SMK kills them fine, but if you want splats and flops, the lighter hollow point and ballistic tip bullets are much more spectacular to watch impact.
Last trip to P-town I used a 16" 5.56 with 75 bthp and a 26" Desert Tech with 140s traveling 2820 fps. At 400 yards the Desert Tech was absoltuely stunning from an accuracy perspective, but no exposions - only big flips (which were a riot). With this one, I'm liking the idea of versatility and if I don't need the varmint taper I'd much prefer the SPR in WOA, Proof, or Wilson.

That said, I'm heavily leaning toward Wilson Combat in their Super Sniper 20" 1:8 fluted/threaded config. Seems super versatile and a well-regarded forum member that's steered me straight steered me in that direction.

Any reason not to pull the proverbial trigger? Any bad reports on Wilson Combat? I've seen their barrels in person and the fit and finish is on par with my Proofs...

These will make a mess out them from a 16" 223. I think the ballistic coefficient is brick though. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You don't need the Varmint taper.

After that, get whichever barrel tickles your fancy. All the barrels you are considering shoot extremely well. It has been mentioned here on the hide that WOA barrels are from Wilson blanks if that helps at all.

You don't need the Varmint taper.

After that, get whichever barrel tickles your fancy. All the barrels you are considering shoot extremely well. It has been mentioned here on the hide that WOA barrels are from Wilson blanks if that helps at all.
Thanks - Different Wilson than Wilson Combat though, right?

Building a Prairie Dog slayer/long range 223 and deciding between a 20" 1:8 heavier profile barrel to run.

Had decided on WOA but they only have a 22" in stock right now and I kinda settled on a 20 since I shoot suppressed and velocity difference is about 40-60 fps between the two.

Which would you choose? $330 for the WOA and $440 for the Proof.

Also - would you go varmint profile or SPR/Predator profile if shooting dogs is on the menu?
Ever since this barrel was posted I’ve been hooked to it, and it’s hard to believe that they have not sold out yet. https://compasslake.com/product/ready-to-ship-tactical-3/

The light varmint bullets have shot great for me in everything from 7 to 12. . . . But I shoot a lot more 53 v-max at prairie dogs than anything else.

The 53 grain V-MAX is one of the most accurate light-weight varmint bullets that I've tested. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a semi-automatic AR-15 at a distance of 100 yards. The group has an extreme spread of 0.533 MOA.

223_krieger_with_53_grain_vmax_10_shot_-2636268.jpg

Reactions: jLorenzo
In terms of pure accuracy, the nod has to go to Proof.
But no matter what barrel, I don't want a 45 oz barrel & a 12+ pound rifle to tote for PD shooting.
You don't need heavy to be accurate, especially off front & rear bags for PD'S.

JMHO

MM

I have one upper with a Proof SS 20" 5.56 barrel and another upper with a WOA 18" SPR barrel. Both 1:7 twist. A small sample size, but here is my experience:
-With my SMK77/TAC/LC handholds, both shared the same accuracy node (23.6 gr TAC);
-At this node, both could do 0.5 MOA;
-The width of the node is wider with the Proof barrel, and the groups opened up slower when the powder charge went higher or lower; with the WOA, the groups size increased faster when charge varied;
-Both generated some flyers. I didn't count the frequency of flyers with each barrel, but I have a feeling that WOA threw a few more flyers than Proof.
-Overall, they are both good barrels. The Proof barrel felt just a notch up at almost doubled price. WOA SPR barrels could be had for about 200 on sale, and Proof close 400. At the prices you cited (330 vs 440), I would go for Proof.

Who walks to shoot prairie dogs? I mean besides maybe 30 yards from the car to the bench. Probably one of my favorite things about living in KS when i was in college was it being legal to drive around and shoot prairie dogs out the window. You also didn't need a hunting license if you were a resident.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
So youve got a bunch of guys saying proof barrels are in a different league than WOA, with literally zero evidence or explanation. Alot of people just talk shit on here for the sake of typing it. What would be a good idea is to drown out these things and look for evidence based data on either both or someone who has shot both, which only one person in this thread did, with the exception of molon. I'd take his word over most anyone on here.