• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof pre-fit or a factory AI barrel

Bungi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
I am considering getting a barrel for my new Accuracy International AT rifle -- would be in 6.5cm

Without considering price, would you prefer a factory AI barrel or a Proof Research pre-fit

Which would be more likely to produce tighter groups?

The Proof barrel would be steel -- not carbon fiber

Last edited:
Out of interest what AI do you have, where are you based. Would help answer you question more accurately.

there are a lot of prefit options for AI barrels and they will all shoot just fine

first pick a contour and length then figure out who can do it in your time/price range

IN RESPONSE TO "clubsportmark":

I just recently bought an AT in 308

I am located in Southern California

I intend to primarily shoot from a bench -- I do not compete at all

I do not reload (yet) -- I just have some FGMM 168 grain

If/when I get a 6.5cm barrel, I would likely shoot Hornady Match ammo -- 140/147

Thanks

I’m not sure how it works with accuracy international North America but here in the UK there is no factory option for 6.5 creedmoor on the AT & AX308. However they are available to purchase from gunsmiths and distributors, they might not be in the same profile as factory or from lothar walther for example. However I think in the US bartlein are standard?

Proof prefits are supposed to be excellent, so will be the “factory“ barrels. So as mentions above either go with what length or profile you want or the least path or resistance. I don’t think you can go too far wrong.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Proof is awesome.

Bartlien is awesome.

If Proof has the contour and length you want get one of them. If a AI take off fits better get one of them.

There’s been a few take offs in the for sale section

Reactions: Steel head
I’m not sure how it works with accuracy international North America but here in the UK there is no factory option for 6.5 creedmoor on the AT & AX308. However they are available to purchase from gunsmiths and distributors, they might not be in the same profile as factory or from lothar walther for example. However I think in the US bartlein are standard?

Proof prefits are supposed to be excellent, so will be the “factory“ barrels. So as mentions above either go with what length or profile you want or the least path or resistance. I don’t think you can go too far wrong.
In the US, the 6.5 CM is an option (among many others;6.5x47, 6mm CM, etc.)

I am considering getting a barrel for my new Accuracy International AT rifle -- would be in 6.5cm

Without considering price, would you prefer a factory AI barrel or a Proof Research pre-fit

Which would be more likely to produce tighter groups?

The Proof barrel would be steel -- not carbon fiber

I'd opt for a traditional steel barrel. The carbon fiber are nice for weight savings, but I find they develop a mirage much quicker when fired in moderate strings of fire.

For reference I have a Tikka with a CF barrel in 6.5, and an AI-AT with a AINA 6.5CM barrel.

I bought my AX with the factory 6.5, 26” barrel. It shoots great. I’m sure the proof would do just fine as well, but for similar cost I’d stick with the factory one. At the least the color will match the rifle better :)

The luxury of buying an AI is that you don’t have to waste any time overthinking shit like this. Buy which ever barrel you can afford that looks the coolest. If you are even asking this question to begin with, I seriously doubt you are capable of shooting well enough to determine a discernible difference between any of the options you have to pick from.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
I've had great experience with the proof prefits on my origin. Definitely would recommend them but if you order direct they have like a 5 or 6 month wait time. So I'd try to find one in stock at a dealer. Altus Shooting Solutions may carry them.

Opticsplanet has some great deals on Proof plus you can call and ask for ten percent off

But it’s opticsplanet

I know the OP asked about Proof, so this doesn't help. But Benchmark also does AI prefits. Just another option. They don't advertise it on their site.

Last edited: