• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Prefit 6.5 Barrel

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
What kind of experience are you guys having with Proof prefit barrels. This is a 6.5 creed on an impact 737. Shot (6) 5 shot groups with it the other day and pictured is the result I got. This was the first rounds through the barrel but still was less than optimal. I dont want this to turn into a bashing session for proof research but maybe I have another issue. I use an area 419 brake that I plan to remove and try shooting a group just to make sure its not causing anything weird. Scope/ chassis everything torqued to spec. The high right group was shot with a magneto speed on which looked promising but still threw one way out. Ammo used is factory hornady 140 eldm and I got an SD of 3 with a 5 shot group. Any advice before I reach out to proof?

Attachments

• IMG_1157 (1).jpg
    IMG_1157 (1).jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 176
Hahahahaha dude got banned between replying 2 minutes ago and now🤣🤣🤣🤣

My Proof prefit on my Accuracy International AX will outshoot my abilities. I've had cloverleafs and bugholes out of it, so I definitely when I pull one, it's all my fault

Hahahahaha dude got banned between replying 2 minutes ago and now🤣🤣🤣🤣

My Proof prefit on my Accuracy International AX will outshoot my abilities. I've had cloverleafs and bugholes out of it, so I definitely when I pull one, it's all my fault
Not banned, my account was hacked recently and for some reason still have the tag on my account.

Not banned, my account was hacked recently and for some reason still have the tag on my account.
It was still amusing to me

Anyway, read what I wrote about my Proof AI barrel. I will admit, it's never had a single factory round through it, so that might have helped

I'm on Proof prefit #4 and they all have been hammers.

I'm very weary of guys blaming their barrels or any other equipment when 99% of the time it's the Indian, not the arrow.

The top right looks decent, and I'd bet the barrel didn't pull one, leave the Proof Research peeps out of this. 🤪

SD of 3... congrats on getting the best box of factory Hornady shit ever.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
I'm on Proof prefit #4 and they all have been hammers.

I'm very weary of guys blaming their barrels or any other equipment when 99% of the time it's the Indian, not the arrow.

The top right looks decent, and I'd bet the barrel didn't pull one, leave the Proof Research peeps out of this.
Interesting thought but probably not since my other rifle didnt seem to have that problem

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Tikkaguy
Interesting thought but probably not since my other rifle didnt seem to have that problem

Do those rifles print groups like that every single time you hit the range, do you take pics of all your groups or just the ones that look like that or the ones in the OP? I bet you don't have too many pics of your average middle-of-the-road, ok-but-not-too-impressive groups... It'd be pretty pompous of any of us to go around acting like we can just print a one-hole group at will every time.

The difference between printing a .25" group and a .5" group has more to do with how most guys slept the night before or what they had for breakfast than their equipment.

There are guys at my club every single weekend wearing out their fancy long-range rifles shooting too many groups at 100 over and over wondering when they'll find some magic barrel/load recipe instead of looking in the mirror.

Unless you lock the barrel in a mechanically rigid rest and can mechanically/electronically actuate the trigger exactly the same every time, you shouldn't be blaming the barrel, at least not yet, after only 30 rounds.

Do those rifles print groups like that every single time you hit the range, do you take pics of all your groups or just the ones that look like that or the ones in the OP? I bet you don't have too many pics of your average middle-of-the-road, ok-but-not-too-impressive groups... It'd be pretty pompous of any of us to go around acting like we can just print a one-hole group at will every time.

The difference between printing a .25" group and a .5" group has more to do with how most guys slept the night before or what they had for breakfast than their equipment.

There are guys at my club every single weekend wearing out their fancy long-range rifles shooting too many groups at 100 over and over wondering when they'll find some magic barrel/load recipe instead of looking in the mirror.

Unless you lock the barrel in a mechanically rigid rest and can mechanically/electronically actuate the trigger exactly the same every time, you shouldn't be blaming the barrel, at least not yet, after only 30 rounds.
What is the statistical probability that I shoot one rifle for (6) 5 round groups and not one groups falls out out .5 inches most of which being around 3/8 of an inch and then I pick up an identical rifle and shoot (6) 5 shot groups and not a single groups falls inside of an inch? Your comment would be more digestible if you were talking to some tard shooting his grand papys 30-06 hunting rifle off of a set of 27 inch height bipod legs but this isnt that scenario so your cliche boomer comment "iTs tHe InDiAn" is less than helpful, thanks

What is the statistical probability that I shoot one rifle for (6) 5 round groups and not one groups falls out out .5 inches most of which being around 3/8 of an inch and then I pick up an identical rifle and shoot (6) 5 shot groups and not a single groups falls inside of an inch? Your comment would be more digestible if you were talking to some tard shooting his grand papys 30-06 hunting rifle off of a set of 27 inch height bipod legs but this isnt that scenario so your cliche boomer comment "iTs tHe InDiAn" is less than helpful, thanks

I bet the CS peeps at Proof cannot wait to hear all about it. :rolleyes:

I will offer a few things.

1. Confirm EVERYTHING is tight......from muzzlebrake to recoil pad.

2. I strongly suggest shooting a non-Hornady factory match ammo. I have been recommending Federal Gold Medal Match with bergers as a great baseline.

3. If you are shooting this in a chassis of some sort.....make sure everything is clearing on your action.....trigger hanger, side bolt release boss, bolt handle, etc.

4. If everything is good to go at this point and you are using a chassis or mini-chassis, make sure the recoil lug is fully seated in the recoil lug recess in the stock. Tilt the rifle barrel point up and loosen your action screw so the barreled action shifts rearward as much as possible......then tighten front action screw first then the rear. Also, make sure your front action screw isn't too long and hitting the bolt when closed.

If all this checks out.......you may have been "PROOFED".....

Ern

I will offer a few things.

1. Confirm EVERYTHING is tight......from muzzlebrake to recoil pad.

2. I strongly suggest shooting a non-Hornady factory match ammo. I have been recommending Federal Gold Medal Match with bergers as a great baseline.

3. If you are shooting this in a chassis of some sort.....make sure everything is clearing on your action.....trigger hanger, side bolt release boss, bolt handle, etc.

4. If everything is good to go at this point and you are using a chassis or mini-chassis, make sure the recoil lug is fully seated in the recoil lug recess in the stock. Tilt the rifle barrel point up and loosen your action screw so the barreled action shifts rearward as much as possible......then tighten front action screw first then the rear. Also, make sure your front action screw isn't too long and hitting the bolt when closed.

If all this checks out.......you may have been "PROOFED".....

Ern
Now this is how to be helpful ^. Everything was tight, chassis torqued, muzzle brake tight, everything. Ill give that ammo a try. I know hornady isnt top shelf at anything but in all the creedmoors ive ever shot I have not seen that specific ammo not perform at least "decent". To me its like a 308 that doesnt shoot gold medal match, very rare. Im just not willing to put alot of money and effort into something that may just not be there. Im going to try a few small things and if those dont work short action customs is getting a call and im just going do what I should have done to begin with and have them spin up a barrel. The proof barrel was just too good of a price not to try on a back up/ practice rifle.

I don't blame you. I use to see the Hornady 140gr Match ammo as the gold standard too.......but I have found it to be spotty since Covid.

The Proof prefits are cheap for sure and I have seen some shoot really good......but you are definitely increasing yours odds of getting a great barrel with a different maker from a known builder.

Keep this thread updated, if you don't mind.

Ern

Reactions: Average guy
I don't blame you. I use to see the Hornady 140gr Match ammo as the gold standard too.......but I have found it to be spotty since Covid.

The Proof prefits are cheap for sure and I have seen some shoot really good......but you are definitely increasing yours odds of getting a great barrel with a different maker from a known builder.

Keep this thread updated, if you don't mind.

Ern
Well this was precovid ammo I had left over but who knows. Ill try a couple things and let you know how it goes.

every one wants to hate on proof. The barrels do shoot but don’t expect every load to give you the same results
Agreed, one simple round of load development will show that the vast majority of a powder charges don’t shoot well.

You have to find something that shoots well, not the inverse

i had a tl3 with a proof carbon 6.5 prc barrel that shot .5moa and stupidly sold it. have a tikka/proof 6.5cm that is easily sub moa. had a tikka/proof in 300wsm that i couldn't get below moa with a variety of factory ammo and proof took it back and sent me a replacement which i have yet to mount up and shoot.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor defiance prefit. It shoots around a half inch. Not stellar but definitely acceptable. My 6cm proof prefit was a quarter minute barrel.

To the OP. Try other loads, my barrel has been fairly picky.

I’m confused. You took a brand new barrel out and are asking about accuracy after you have only put 30 rounds down range?

Shit man, I’ve had barrels that didn’t settle down until 200+ rounds.

Go shoot more.

I have some Proof barrels.
They all shoot. All but 1 have many 5 round groups right at .5” or just under.
My CF from them is for hunting, so I only shot some 3 round groups once broken in, cleaned, and a couple fowlers.
.278” and .251”
With some Copper Creek hunting ammo I got off here for a song.

I have a Bartlein prefit from Ern that shoots as well as any barrel I have ever owned (with a skill-less moron slapping the trigger anyways).
5 shot groups routinely in the upper .2s to .3s.
Load development was “try a pet load 15 thou off and see”.
Rounds 11-15 .279”
It runs that to distance too

And my barrels from my local smith all hammer like no tomorrow. All of them.
But wait times and $ are a real thing for a broke dick like me, so good deals on prefits are nice.

OP, clean it really well.
Couple fowlers.
Try some different ammo. FGMM has shot well for me in a variety of calibers, as Ern noted, its also a good gauge.
My CF Proof listed above was .8-1.0 for 3 shots with old Hornady.
ammo it loves is Lapua SRP and Berger 140 hunters from copper creek.

Reactions: AccuSol-ERN
I’m confused. You took a brand new barrel out and are asking about accuracy after you have only put 30 rounds down range?

Shit man, I’ve had barrels that didn’t settle down until 200+ rounds.

Go shoot more.
If a new 6.5 CM barrel isn’t shooting under an inch with factory Hornady Match ammo immediately, there’s something wrong in the system. Be it the barrel or something else, like Ern mentioned. More rounds is just more rounds wasted.

Reactions: Marksman_92
If a new 6.5 CM barrel isn’t shooting under an inch with factory Hornady Match ammo immediately, there’s something wrong in the system. Be it the barrel or something else, like Ern mentioned. More rounds is just more rounds wasted.
This is precisely why I have a bundle of used Proof Carbons sitting in the corner. They didn't shoot with typical factory offerings or typical reloads. So it was easier to just rebarrel and send back out. Proof has been great about replacing them.....didn't even want the old barrels back for analysis or inquire about serial number or lot number on barrel.

When I have time I will slug them, re-lapped them, and maybe even rechamber them. I will most likely get them to shoot after devoting a ton of time/components to the cause......I suspect resulting in a VERY picky barrel.

Re-work does nothing to pay my bills and move other waiting customers through. Not to mention leaving the bad barrel customer with a bad experience. No bueno.

Ern

This is precisely why I have a bundle of used Proof Carbons sitting in the corner. They didn't shoot with typical factory offerings or typical reloads. So it was easier to just rebarrel and send back out. Proof has been great about replacing them.....didn't even want the old barrels back for analysis or inquire about serial number or lot number on barrel.

I like Proof barrels and all of mine have been hammers, but there are absolutely valid cases where people have gotten duds, and this post speaks volumes. If Proof doesn't even question it, that tells me that $750 tomato stakes going out the door aren't few and far between. If that was a Bartlein I can guarantee you that Frank would want it back for evaluation.

This isn't meant to be hate towards Proof, and I will still roll the dice because my luck has been good thus far. If I got a bad one and they didn't stand behind it then I would certainly have a different opinion and would no longer buy them but unless that happens I will still continue to buy them because what you get for the price is incredible. Most of mine have been CF FWIW and I currently own two, one OEM prefit, and one Altus spun prefit.

I will also say that's its reassuring to see a smith standing behind the barrel with labor and rebarreling them. Most of the time when that happens it turns into a blame game between the barrel manufacturer and the gunsmith and yields negative results for the customer even when the gunsmith supplies the barrel, so kudos to you for that.

Reactions: AccuSol-ERN
On another note, I did have an SS Proof RPR prefit that wasn't shooting great out of the gate. It was still shooting good at around 3/4 MOA with handloads, but not what I typically expect out of a cut rifled hand lapped barrel. I ended up cleaning it up real good after about 40 rounds, putting a few Tubbs final finish bullets through it and then cranked out 100 rounds of cheap hornady american gunner at an open range day and after that it went to shooting little knots per usual. So that barrel was just a little rough and IMO not a big deal since 3/4 MOA isn't terrible and it broke in pretty easily.

I have a Proof carbon barrel in 6.5CM that is shooting similarly with Prime 130gr ammo

Proof saga continued….
Cleaned barrel really well with boretech took it back out to the range and shot 4 different groups without the brake and 3 with the brake on(top row is without brake). Ammos used were 140 and 147 eldm (couldn’t source any Berger or federal. Pictures are the groups. I also took a video of myself shooting for anyone interested but I’m confident I made good shots. I did have a few rounds with ejector swipe, unsure if ammo or barrel is causing it.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 105
Check your fired brass. I had a proof prefit that chamber was so rough on it was marking the brass. Honestly it’s probably rare that one like that gets out. I only mention it because the brass not flowing properly caused some unusual side effects and is a possible cause for your ejector marks.

Check out the shoulders before and after firing.

CC003A8D-5843-48E8-AC6D-E438953C566D.jpeg

Attachments

• BA768705-7622-400D-BDD7-722B9EDFEA1D.jpeg
    BA768705-7622-400D-BDD7-722B9EDFEA1D.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 26
Proof saga continued….
Cleaned barrel really well with boretech took it back out to the range and shot 4 different groups without the brake and 3 with the brake on(top row is without brake). Ammos used were 140 and 147 eldm (couldn’t source any Berger or federal. Pictures are the groups. I also took a video of myself shooting for anyone interested but I’m confident I made good shots. I did have a few rounds with ejector swipe, unsure if ammo or barrel is causing it.
That's a bummer. You may have indeed been "Proofed". Best case is you have a super finicky barrel that you will need to source a particular factory load for and hope it doesn't change.....or do a custom load work up.

Also, if it doesn't shoot FGMM with 130berger AR hybrids.....it is for sure junk. I swear that stuff will shoot good in anything short of an afghani ghost gun.

Ern

Yeah if it won't shoot that Berger otm 130 bullet, it won't shoot. How big are those groups?

Spoke with a tech at Proof , guy was helpful and didn’t try to shrug it off as there is no way it could be the barrel. Sending it back to them for inspection where the barrel will be inspected , pressure tested and fired. I asked what test ammo they use and I was told Hornady 147 eld or 143 eldx. Tech was pretty convinced if it doesn’t shoot either of those then there could be an issue. So barrel is coming off the gun and going back to proof. I’ll update further once I hear something.

Update from Proof. Received a call from one of the guys. They said they looked at the barrel and noticed the same marks in the throat that I observed while scoping the barrel. Said they tried to clean it up and reshoot it. Shot a 5 shot group that was .8 and an 8 shot group that was over an inch. He said this was outside the acceptability for their barrels so they are sending out a new one. However production isnt running for prefits so it may be 2 months before I see a replacement. Sucks I have to wait that long and I feel something should be done to shorten that wait time but I am glad to see they are making it right instead of just putting blame on the shooter. Just wanted to share my experience so far with Proof prefits.

Reactions: RSKYBSNS
Proofs customer service was top notch for me. They blamed me 100% but promptly replaced my barrel, “just to eliminate it”.

Update from Proof. Received a call from one of the guys. They said they looked at the barrel and noticed the same marks in the throat that I observed while scoping the barrel. Said they tried to clean it up and reshoot it. Shot a 5 shot group that was .8 and an 8 shot group that was over an inch. He said this was outside the acceptability for their barrels so they are sending out a new one. However production isnt running for prefits so it may be 2 months before I see a replacement. Sucks I have to wait that long and I feel something should be done to shorten that wait time but I am glad to see they are making it right instead of just putting blame on the shooter. Just wanted to share my experience so far with Proof prefits.

That sucks to have to wait but it's nice that they're taking care of it and not sticking you with it. That's not a terrible 5 shot group and most companies would send it right back with that.

If you need something sooner Wade Stuteville has chambered 6.5CM 3B barrels on the shelf ready to be cut and threaded to customer specs that run $875 with cerakote and can even flute them for $125 more. The finished weight ends up being very close to a Proof Sendero. He said an 18" spiral fluted 6.5 3B is 2.6# and + .2# per 2" for longer.

Final update. Bought a Brux barrel blank and had Short Action Customs chamber it up. Went to the range this week and rifle hammered as expected. Shot a pressure test with 3 shot groups just to get an idea on speed and all charge weights shot great. Currently shooting eldms but might get some Berger hybrids once the eldms are gone.

Attachments

• mdt.jpg
    mdt.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 47
  • groups.jpg
    groups.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Prison Mike
Final update. Bought a Brux barrel blank and had Short Action Customs chamber it up. Went to the range this week and rifle hammered as expected. Shot a pressure test with 3 shot groups just to get an idea on speed and all charge weights shot great. Currently shooting eldms but might get some Berger hybrids once the eldms are gone.
This thread is making me lean heavily towards a barrel from Ts customs or Kinport Peak Rifles.

TS is never a bad choice.

I have had awesome luck with Proof steel barrels and 1 CF.

Enough I took the gamble on a couple more CF prefits I havent gotten to shoot yet…..
But soon.

Reactions: hairy_pineapple588
CHEAP Savage 12FV Action with Proof stainless pre-chambered barrel. Horrible factory non-target Accutrigger....
1000001353.jpg