• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Barrel/ Action Question

Jlmccrarey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2021
Evansville IN
Hi,
I’m fairly new to the precision world and building a rifle (attempting to lol) for LE sniper work. I just picked up a proof research 18 inch 1:10 carbon fiber barrel. What actions will go well with this and does anyone have any gun smith recommendations to assemble the barreled action? Do I need a specific action? I was leaning toward nucleus. Thank you and sorry if this is a dumb question. Still learning, AR’s have always been my gun of choice.

087279A8-F803-4458-AB99-3B48EEC95AF5.jpeg

This looks to be a barrel blank which would need to be threaded and chambered for the .30 caliber cartridge of your choice. It is not specific to any action and will need to fitted by a gunsmith.

I'm thinking you are doing things out of order.
Maybe research things first before ordering something that could potentially be an expensive mistake.

Reactions: jackinfl
I'm thinking you are doing things out of order.
Maybe research things first before ordering something that could potentially be an expensive mistake.
I appreciate the comment but doesn’t help me at all. I’m doing research right now by asking questions. I was told and have read the proof research carbon fiber barrels are one of the top barrels. I cannot find any “Remington 700 pre fit” proof research barrels. So I went with thr 308 bolt action barrel and now I’m exploring my options of what action and gunsmith to use. If you have any sites I can go read up more on this, please feel free to share.

A Nucleus would work fine for that blank. That barrel has no chamber or threads, the .308 part is referring to the nominal groove diameter, not a specific cartridge. However, it can be chambered for .308 Winchester and thread to fit a Nucleus. If you are looking for something to just screw together you should buy a Nucleus pre-fit chambered in .308 Winchester. I assume you are using .308 Win for LEO, since that's what most M.O.s are still using.
The closest thing to a Remington 700 prefit is a Remage barrel that uses a barrel nut.

OP,
If you are building a personally owned rifle to use at work, check your Policy on which action and or rifle manufacturer is permitted.

I have 30 years in the business and have seen guy's waste money buying things they thought would be approved.

What does your Team use now?

Or are you building a LE sniperish gun for your personal development?

Either way, Personally I'd start with a full rifle.

Figure your budget first.

So many good builders.
KMW Long Range Solutions
Accuracy International
The new Seekins looks solid, we have 2 of their SP10-M guns. They're great, with great customer service

GA Precision
The list goes on...

If you didn't know, Proof offers pre-cut ready to go barrels for several different Action manufacturers.

Proof uses Zermatt actions on some of their in house complete rifles.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

I appreciate the comment but doesn’t help me at all. I’m doing research right now by asking questions. I was told and have read the proof research carbon fiber barrels are one of the top barrels. I cannot find any “Remington 700 pre fit” proof research barrels. So I went with thr 308 bolt action barrel and now I’m exploring my options of what action and gunsmith to use. If you have any sites I can go read up more on this, please feel free to share.
What he said was spot on. Your question could literally be answered by saying “Every bolt action, and every gunsmith listed on this site”. What is your budget? Any other likes or wants with your build? Stock or chassis? Be as detailed as you can, and you’ll get detailed info.

A Nucleus would work fine for that blank. That barrel has no chamber or threads, the .308 part is referring to the nominal groove diameter, not a specific cartridge. However, it can be chambered for .308 Winchester and thread to fit a Nucleus. If you are looking for something to just screw together you should buy a Nucleus pre-fit chambered in .308 Winchester. I assume you are using .308 Win for LEO, since that's what most M.O.s are still using.
The closest thing to a Remington 700 prefit is a Remage barrel that uses a barrel nut.
Thank you! So are there any barreled actions I could drop straight into a chassis you’d recommend over going this current route?

OP,
If you are building a personally owned rifle to use at work, check your Policy on which action and or rifle manufacturer is permitted.

I have 30 years in the business and have seen guy's waste money buying things they thought would be approved.

So many good builders.
KMW Long Range Solutions
Accuracy International
The new Seekins looks solid, we have 2 of their SP10-M guns. They're great, with great customer service

GA Precision
The list goes on...

If you didn't know, Proof offers pre-cut ready to go barrels for several different Action manufacturers.

We use Remington 700’s so we are requested to stay on that platform. Other than that, we’re good to go. So far I have a Magpul pro 700 chassis, nightforce 2.5-20 with a spuhr mount. Budget is pretty open at this point but we are a urban police department so most shots would not be long distance shots, 200 yards at most. I want high standards than that though obviously.

What he said was spot on. Your question could literally be answered by saying “Every bolt action, and every gunsmith listed on this site”. What is your budget? Any other likes or wants with your build? Stock or chassis? Be as detailed as you can, and you’ll get detailed info.
I need to try to stay on the Remington 700 platform. I currently have a magpul pro 700 chassis, nightforce 2.5-20 with a spuhr mount. I work in an urban area and budget I’m pretty open with. .308 win caliber

Pretty much every aftermarket action is based on the "Rem 700 platform"... do you have to use an actual Remington 700 Action, or can you use any brand based on that platform? That's a big difference.

If you can use any Rem 700 Platform Action, I would purchase a Proof Pre-fit barrel (They make prefits for several actions), buy the corresponding action, and just torque it on.

If you have to use an actual Rem 700 Action, you are going to need to buy a Rem 700 Action, have it Trued, and then have that barrel chambered for that action. I'd highly recommend LRI

Pretty much every aftermarket action is based on the "Rem 700 platform"... do you have to use an actual Remington 700 Action, or can you use any brand based on that platform? That's a big difference.

If you can use any Rem 700 Platform Action, I would purchase a Proof Pre-fit barrel (They make prefits for several actions), buy the corresponding action, and just torque it on.

If you have to use an actual Rem 700 Action, you are going to need to buy a Rem 700 Action, have it Trued, and then have that barrel chambered for that action. I'd highly recommend LRI
Can use any 700 platform, does not have to be Remington. Can you link me to a proof research pre fit barrel?

Call Long Rifles Inc.
I bet Chad has a 700 that he can perform his tier 1 blue print services on. He can fit your barrel, install everything into your chassis to make sure it all functions as it should.

That way you are using the approved action and avoid any questions.

I'm sure a defense attorney would love to hear about how you assembled the rifle yourself...

I can do a prefit Proof CF at 18" in .308 for several actions. All in $1,050+shipping or send me the blank you ordered and the labor is $300, you can send the action too if you need it assembled. PM me with any other specifics if interested. You could use a Zermatt Origin or a Defiance Tactical action etc. they will drop into a R700 pattern chassis as will an ARC Nucleus.

Reactions: vt_tac and Hegre
Most chassis manufacturers have an option for most actions, while they may be based on a Rem action they aren't the exact same dimensions. Since you already bought a chassis for a rem 700 then you'll have to choose wisely. :D. Buying a complete rifle would have been the best choice.

OP,

So many good builders.
KMW Long Range Solutions
Accuracy International

GA Precision
The list goes on...

What about the Daniel Defense Delta 5 pro?

Reactions: Boatninja
Know nothing about the LE part but you already have the barrel. Pick your action probably a dozen quality choices (I went with lone peak this time). Choose the chassis or stock that suits your needs and send everything to the smith you choose.

As others have mentioned. Most aftermarket actions out there are a Remington 700 footprint. There is no such thing as a Remington 700 pre-fit. The standard Remington 700 does not allow for pre-fit shouldered barrels. There are Remage barrels but that is its own thing. Could check out Zermatt Arms, Defiance Machine, Lone Peak Arms, Terminus etc. If you already ordered that barrel I would just purchase any of those above mentioned actions and have a gunsmith chamber and fit it to the action.