• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Barrels Accuracy?

lancetkenyon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Glendale, AZ
I am in the process of collecting parts for a rebarrel/rebuild of one of my hunting rifles. I would like some info from guys that have a Proof Research barrel. I have the chambering down to two candidates. 6.5-06AI w. 140 HVLD or a .280AI w. 160-168 bullets.
The rifle now is a .25-06AI pushing a 115 HVLD @ 3400 from a 28" Shilen #5.
R700 LA BDL trued
Shilen trigger @ 1.5#
New Manners EH1 (it replaced a B&C Medalist that was on it for about 15 years of field use)
Seekins 20MOA alloy Picatinny base
Seekins 6/4 34mm high alloy rings
Steiner T5Xi 5-25×56 w. SCR (will be replaced by 1 of 3 scopes, leaning towards a TT315M)

Rifle weighs a tad over 10# now, was 11#+ before the stock swap, hope to lose another 1#+ with the barrel and scope swap.

The barrel swap alone will save over 1#. 26" Proof Research Sendero Light in either .264 or .284 bore. But not if I get bad reviews on accuracy.

This will be a 600-800 yard hunting rig for deer, and an occasional elk rifle.

I'm interested in opinions about PR barrels also and on a side note I'd go with the 280AI regardless of barrel maker !

I have one in 6.5, I absolutely love it. I have numerous high end barrels and the Proof is my favorite. It is no more accurate then any of the top barrels but it weights less, runs much cooler, and doesn't shift POI after long strings. They look cool too and are cut rifled which I much prefer. I would not hesitate to purchase another.

Attachments

• photo49603.jpg
    photo49603.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 77
I have one on a trued R700 as well which I use for hunting. Love it, precisely because of the weight savings. It it as accurate as my Bartlein. Chambered in 6.5 cm. Love that gun.

I've had consistent POI (no shift in zero) from 5 degrees to 75 degrees this winter. Accuracy is sub 1/2 MOA. Latest load testing session I had a couple that were shooting 1/3 MOA elevation spread @ 400yd.

In other words, pretty much the same performance I'd expect from a Bartlein, Rock Creek, Krieger, etc.

I have one in 6.5, I absolutely love it. I have numerous high end barrels and the Proof is my favorite. It is no more accurate then any of the top barrels but it weights less, runs much cooler, and doesn't shift POI after long strings. They look cool too and are cut rifled which I much prefer. I would not hesitate to purchase another.

XLR Carbon chassis are super sexy!