• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Barrels for AXMC?

PRDRIVER, Have you had any feedback on the Pre Fit AI barrels from any of your customers either pro or con yet?

I have done a couple reviews in different sections. The barrels are as accurate as any of my steel barrels and I’ve had A LOT of customs. The only gripe I have is the headspace/Brass shoulder seems to be a couple thousandths shorter than normal, on both barrels. Perhaps this is why some smiths like Gradous require a headspace check. Even my prime ammo was bloating after the first firing as there was no room for it to expand length wise. It might be perfect in a different chassis, they are all a little different despite what marketing tells you. No problems with virgin Lapua Brass on the 338 and it’s a hammer. I’ve been reloading once fired prime brass and shot a bunch of ladder tests and seating depth data and the average 5 shot group in 20mph winds was under .399” the best groups were in the .2’s and the worst was .5....had the winds not been so freaking ridiculous I am positive 3 of the groups would have been in the .1’s. ES and SD were teen and single digits respectively. The CTC spread from 41.9-42.9 H4350 AT 400YDS WAS 1.6”, not bad for rando seating depth and picking a ladder zone.

These barrels have a buttload of carbon fiber, I have other proof barrels and my 6.5CM and 338 LM barrels look like John Holmes next my sendero contoured barrels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Gradous
OH58DViper,
Thank you for the information. I would like to say that I am very very new to this game. I value the wisdom and input of people that know their stuff. The main reason that I asked the question is because I ordered a Proof Research carbon barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for my AIAT. When it arrived I checked the headspace. The bolt would close on the no-go gauge. I sent it back to Proof a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for some feedback from them on what is wrong. In the meantime I was wondering if anybody had experienced any similar issues.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
I forgot to mention that I am planing on using the 130 gr Prime 6.5 ammo. Any feedback on the Proof and Prime combo is greatly appreciated.

OH58DViper,
Thank you for the information. I would like to say that I am very very new to this game. I value the wisdom and input of people that know their stuff. The main reason that I asked the question is because I ordered a Proof Research carbon barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for my AIAT. When it arrived I checked the headspace. The bolt would close on the no-go gauge. I sent it back to Proof a couple of weeks ago and am waiting for some feedback from them on what is wrong. In the meantime I was wondering if anybody had experienced any similar issues.

I hope you sent the action/rifle in with the barrel for them to have as a reference, while the majority of prefits don’t have any issues, some will and having the action may help unscrew the headspace. It sucks that you had a bad one right off the bat, mine could be sent back but I’m pretty experienced with this kind of crap so I rock out and make it work, that’s not the preferred method btw ha. I’ve got 300 pieces of Norma (prime) brass that should last through barrel swap and 100 pieces of 338 LM.....I’ve never shot a 338 out, so that should last too.

Here is a picture of the first 10 rds out of the Proof with prime, shot 1 and adjusted, the following 9 are in that hole. It’s consistently printing sub 1/2 groups but ES is pretty high, not a factor if you’re inside 750ish. 3 rd groups have been in the .2’s and better, not saying that’s the norm...overall though it’s a great barrel and I’m happy with it.

ETA you can sell that once fired prime brass for a descent amount...

D289440E-E75B-43F5-ACF9-AA96542F8494.jpeg

I hope you sent the action/rifle in with the barrel for them to have as a reference, while the majority of prefits don’t have any issues, some will and having the action may help unscrew the headspace. It sucks that you had a bad one right off the bat, mine could be sent back but I’m pretty experienced with this kind of crap so I rock out and make it work, that’s not the preferred method btw ha. I’ve got 300 pieces of Norma (prime) brass that should last through barrel swap and 100 pieces of 338 LM.....I’ve never shot a 338 out, so that should last too.

Here is a picture of the first 10 rds out of the Proof with prime, shot 1 and adjusted, the following 9 are in that hole. It’s consistently printing sub 1/2 groups but ES is pretty high, not a factor if you’re inside 750ish. 3 rd groups have been in the .2’s and better, not saying that’s the norm...overall though it’s a great barrel and I’m happy with it.

ETA you can sell that once fired prime brass for a descent amount...

View attachment 6891097
Wow, that is what i'm looking for. I will wait and see what Proof has to say. Thank you again for the information.

I called Proof and told them that it had been suggested that the action should be considered. The very helpful person (Andy) at Proof asked that I send in the action and also the no-go gauge that I used so they could evaluate the entire system. I sent everything to them yesterday. It seems Proof is going the extra mile to make everything good.

I called Proof and told them that it had been suggested that the action should be considered. The very helpful person (Andy) at Proof asked that I send in the action and also the no-go gauge that I used so they could evaluate the entire system. I sent everything to them yesterday. It seems Proof is going the extra mile to make everything good.

Yeah they aim to please and want to make sure they got their recipe right. Good to hear they’re taking care of you.

I’ve decided I have to many 338’s and the AXMC is on the chopping block, wanting another short action AXMC, one with a SFP for a 6br. Headed to the PX with my big boy toy......it’s a disease I tell ya....

Yeah they aim to please and want to make sure they got their recipe right. Good to hear they’re taking care of you.

I’ve decided I have to many 338’s and the AXMC is on the chopping block, wanting another short action AXMC, one with a SFP for a 6br. Headed to the PX with my big boy toy......it’s a disease I tell ya....

I hear you about it being a disease. I'm only in the very early stage. If I was smart I would run fast and far. Problem is, no one has ever accused me of being smart.

Reactions: OH58DViper
What's the barrel life like on the carbon barrels? Say I get about 2k rounds with a regular 6.5 creed barrel; would it be similar, more, less?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just replaced my first proof barrel, accuracy dropped off pretty quickly for me after 4500 rounds of relatively hot 260. I'm very happy with these barrels.

Just got a call from Andy at Proof today. It turns out that both the barrel and receiver are in spec. The no go gauge that I used was not in spec. My thanks to Proof Research for looking into my issue and making sure that all is in order. They really went above the call especially considering that it was my equipment that was faulty not theirs. Outstanding customer service!

PRDRIVER, Have you had any feedback on the Pre Fit AI barrels from any of your customers either pro or con yet?
I have one of the 6.5 CM for the AX. Just got done putting it on the AX for the first time and installing the Area 419 Hellfire MB. It took half a day longer than it should have because the 5/8-24 threads for the MB were fucked up and needed to be chased before they would take the MB. I don't know how it shoots because I spent the time I could have spent shooting borrowing a 5/8-24 thread. I guess I think at the price point they should have done the threads properly.

Just got a call from Andy at Proof today. It turns out that both the barrel and receiver are in spec. The no go gauge that I used was not in spec. My thanks to Proof Research for looking into my issue and making sure that all is in order. They really went above the call especially considering that it was my equipment that was faulty not theirs. Outstanding customer service!

What brand of gonogo gauge did they recommend that you use? What brand is it that they are claiming is wrong?

What brand of gonogo gauge did they recommend that you use? What brand is it that they are claiming is wrong?
Diverdon, Sorry for the late response. The gauges are PTG. They did not recommend a different brand. The no go gauge was on the very edge of the spec for a go gauge. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good brand of gauges?

Reactions: diverdon
Diverdon, Sorry for the late response. The gauges are PTG. They did not recommend a different brand. The no go gauge was on the very edge of the spec for a go gauge. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good brand of gauges?

No need to apologize to me. The way I look at things if your bolt completely closes on the PT&G no go gauge then most likely the chamber is reamed a little too deep to be in spec on your rifle. I don't no how far out of spec you can be before any problems crop up but I guess they feel you are "close nuff fer gubberment work."

If a PT&G is not a good gauge I don't know what is.

No need to apologize to me. The way I look at things if your bolt completely closes on the PT&G no go gauge then most likely the chamber is reamed a little too deep to be in spec on your rifle. I don't no how far out of spec you can be before any problems crop up but I guess they feel you are "close nuff fer gubberment work."

If a PT&G is not a good gauge I don't know what is.
Thank you for the info!

How does it shoot? Did you purchase a different gauge? If so, which brand and how did it go?

Gar

Got a question guy, is the Proof 338LM barrel's throat long enough for single feed MTAC 277gr solid without compress the powder.

How does it shoot? Did you purchase a different gauge? If so, which brand and how did it go?

Gar
I went with the forster gauges. The barrel with me pulling the trigger is around 1/2 moa with a variety of factory ammunition. I am very happy with the barrel. So happy that I purchased two more (.223, 6.5CM) for my ARC Nucleus build.

Reactions: Gar.
ARRIVAL!

24” 6.5 CM - weight 3.6lbs - BTO 2.250 to lands with 140 Berger - total weight 17lbs with Atlas, magazine, & PVA Brake

26” 338 LM - Weight 4.0lbs - BTO 2.965 to lands With 300 OTM Berger - total weight 17.6 lbs with atlas, mag, and hellfire Brake

The chamber for the 6.5CM is identical to the .001 of my 6.5 Barrel from Tooley

The Chamber of the 338 is .060 shallower than my Factory 338......Thank goodness. I hated loading to most common BTO to clear the mag which happened to be .100 0ff the lands WTF right. Looks like a common BTO to clear the lands will be .040 from the lands, I’m digging it.

These boys are fatties! Lots of carbon fiber on these ones, a lot more than my 338 sendero that’s headed out for assembly tomorrow. The brown truck dropped off a but load of stuff today, like Christmas in March!

If you want something measured or have questions fire away, I’m not flying this week so I’m just going to finger F my new kit and load some test rounds. I also have 300rds of prime to try out that should be here by Friday. I just want the brass and to see if it’s as good as people say.

View attachment 6880805View attachment 6880803View attachment 6880809View attachment 6880801View attachment 6880809View attachment 6880808View attachment 6880807View attachment 6880806
Hi ,

About the Proof Research 6,5CM barrell, how does perform until now ? Can you tell me what kind of bullet you shoot , MV and what is the precision out of this barrel.
I have orderd one barrel for my AI AX in SA and I want to know what are will be the expectation.. :)

Thanks

Hi ,

About the Proof Research 6,5CM barrell, how does perform until now ? Can you tell me what kind of bullet you shoot , MV and what is the precision out of this barrel.
I have orderd one barrel for my AI AX in SA and I want to know what are will be the expectation.. :)

Thanks

I sold that barrel the summer of 18. I loaded 140 hybrids over H4350 and it was one of the most accurate barrels I have ever had and I have had A LOT of customs. The only reason I got rid of it, and the AXMC for that matter, is I couldnt single load as the tenon was to thick. Unless the round came out of a magazine it would jam into the tenon. So I traded for a SA AX. My 338 proof barrel was insanely accurate as well. MV was over 2800 if memory serves.

Reactions: GeKados
That's a great news (for me) :) , thanks !
And now you have an AX in SA if I understand well , is big difference between them? and what kind of barrel you run ?

That's a great news (for me) :) , thanks !
And now you have an AX in SA if I understand well , is big difference between them? and what kind of barrel you run ?
Sorry for the late reply, didn’t get a notification for some reason. I have had a couple SA AX’s, but am out of the comp game as I just don’t have time anymore. The only differences are a little weight and the ability to shoot LA cartridges, a longer bolt throw and I think the rail is a couple inches longer on the AXMC as well. I liked to run an MTU contour for competition. I’ve had them from Gradous, SAC, Tooley, proof and a few others. They were all hammers. The proof and Tooley barrels stood out but all were sub 1/2 consistently.

Reactions: GeKados
She looks a bit different now

2265B9B4-B36A-4861-B9BB-6CF902237C54.jpeg