• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Carbon Fiber 18” 1/8 T barrel

N-C

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
Proof Research Carbon Fiber 18” 1/8 T barrel rifle length gas

Got this barrel at local gun store, idea is replace my Proof Research Carbon Fiber 14.5” 1/7 T barrel, so can shot lighter bullet ,
But my very best friend said don’t do that ( replace the barrel ) just build a new one AR or complete upper, so ~~~

I do looking for many upper and lower, Wilson Combat, Seekins Precision, Zev Technology, San Tan tactical stt-15, 2 A Armament , and ~~~

So witch one is the one I should get it ? Thanks

Last edited:
And I will have Seekins Precision selector adjustable gas block, for with or without the suppressor

I agree with your friend, just build another upper. If you value your time it’ll be about the same cost as replacing the barrel, and now you have two uppers.

Side note: what cartridge are you shooting? With the 1/7 and 1/8 I assume one of the 6.5mm options, but your setup will be very different for Grendel and Creedmoor.

Reactions: N-C
My best friend like to Coyote hunting so is for 50 or 55 grand V-max bullet

My ideal is get the matched set upper and lower, but only use the upper now

3 things:

1. Posting multiple times back to back is considered padding your post count (which isn’t kosher here); you should strongly consider editing your post and adding the new info that way.

2. Going from a 1-7 to a 1-8 will not have a huge impact on the 50-55gr bullets. Lots of people have had great success with everything from 1:7 to 1:12 with those, with the difference that if you also shoot 77gr bullets the 1:7 is your best option.

3. Understood re: preference for matched receivers.

Fair enough.

NormanChang, there’s rarely a reason to *not* build more rifles. It’s certainly more fun than taking them apart, because then you then have more things that are slightly different that are fun to shoot. With the AR platform, you have the opportunity to build half of a rifle and still be able to use it.

Personally, I just go with the aero precision upper receivers by default. The fancy other options aren’t worth the cost in my view, with the slight exception of the Gibbz side chargers. That said, if you have the cash to throw at it and think it looks cool, no reason not to get a matched set.

14.5in 1-7 twist is going to be distinct from an 18in 1-8 twist mostly by virtue of the extra length giving extra velocity (~50fps or so per inch in that range depending on bullet weight.) If this new build is strictly only going to be a varminting upper or build, it might be worth going to their 20in 1-8, which will give you then fun and maneuverability of a short barreled build in your 14.5, and as another option the extra velocity of the 20in.

Just some food for thought.

I do like to get factory guns HK LWRC POF NEMO Volquartsen , and this is first gun AR I need to build it Because I buy the barrel already , and I like very high quality items

Pictures show some guns I do have before and some I still have of course some hand guns ( pistol )

And this is the AR15 I planned to replace the barrel, but my friend said don’t do it

I’m very Serious for this one so that is why I come here to asking for help

The barrel Twist AR15 have 1/7 1/8 1/9 Twist
Some people said have no difference and they tested shot at 100 yards only ( and said is ok no difference )for different twist barrel and different weight bullet ammo ( 223/556 )
But if they test shot at 200 yards and 300 yards ~ 400 yards, I believe it will have more result
This is my understanding
Thanks

You obviously have the budget to build a new upper so I would do that.

Me personally,,,,, I’d swap barrels and I’d love to have that 18” Proof.

I’m not into multiple AR’s anymore.
I’m down to two now and they are quite dissimilar.

For swap barrel Actually it is not very difficult

Me personally,,,,, I’d swap barrels and I’d love to have that 18” Proof.

I’m not into multiple AR’s anymore.
I’m down to two now and they are quite dissimilar.
Now I down size to 3 AR15 20” 1/9 twits 16” 1/7 twits and 14.5” 1/7 barrel, if I build a new AR I will let the 16” one go

Finally I returned the Barrel and Exchanged the SIG SAUER TANGO6 5-30x56mm Rifle Scope ,
Can use for my 338 Lapua mag rifle :)

I also like the Seekins products, especially if you're looking for the most rigid receiver made. But they're not light in weight.

The reason I stressed:

BAD
STT
2A

... is that they go along with the super lightweight, precision theme of a Proof Research CFW barrel.

Last edited:
I just get the FN SCAR 16s , easy for carry shooting and looking very nice ( I do own the SCAR 17s before it’s black color I not really like it so I sell it, some days get another one )
With Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x24 Scope

Thanks everyone !

End the story

Last edited: