• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Elevation

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
CA
So, I recently acquired a new Proof Research Elevation in 6.5 Creedmoor. I cleaned the bore from test fire at the factory and ran a bore scope through to see the condition and take pictures of throat/crown to track barrel wear. The last six inches of the bore had spots with significant pitting and deep tool marks. Not what I would expect from Proof and not like my other Proof barrel at all. I called and they were very apologetic and sent me out a shipping tag immediately. They informed me they would inspect the barrel to determine the cause and re-barrel the rifle.

** Kudos to Proof Research for outstanding customer service. I hope the new barrel looks like what I would expect from Proof and shoots like my other Proof barrel on a Defiance action.

Please keep us posted on when you get it back and get a chance to shoot it. I've been thinking of getting one also either in the 6.5CM or the 6 CM. For the price its a pretty good deal if it shoots. Since you did actually have a chance to handle it, how did you like it overall from a balance point? Also, how was the fit and finish of the rifle - good or??

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
Please keep us posted on when you get it back and get a chance to shoot it. I've been thinking of getting one also either in the 6.5CM or the 6 CM. For the price its a pretty good deal if it shoots. Since you did actually have a chance to handle it, how did you like it overall from a balance point? Also, how was the fit and finish of the rifle - good or??
The rifle is light for sure. The action left a little to be desired as far as smoothness, but that is comparing it to other custom actions. The action functioned flawlessly running dummy rounds through it. I like the hybrid design of the action. control-round feed with claw extractor, fixed ejector, Savage style floating bolt head and Savage small shank tendon threads. Kinda felt like a plastic BB gun to be honest, but it is supposed to be light and it is. The rifle was a little front heavy with a full-length barrel, but I imagine the will change with an optic mounted. I wanted a lightweight 6.5 CM for hunting with a full length barrel and most companies making lightweight 6.5's a chopping the barrels at 22" at most. I shipped it off on the 5/02 and I will update post when I get it back, scope the bore, mount an optic and break it in.

My next hunting build will have a PR Barrel .
931D3174-B50A-49D8-9A4E-E95C66D4EEE4.jpeg

This is my work horse rifle. Defiance action, 20” Proof Scendero chambered in .308, little bastard brake, Timney Calvin elite 2-stage, in a Manners EH1.

Running the new 175 TLR’s at 2,590 fps. Just shot them at 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900, and 1K. Advertised BC was right on. They still get their ass kicked by the wind at 800 and beyond, but they do better than 175 SMK’s. I am very comfortable taking an animal out to 700 with it.

The rifle is light for sure. The action left a little to be desired as far as smoothness, but that is comparing it to other custom actions. The action functioned flawlessly running dummy rounds through it. I like the hybrid design of the action. control-round feed with claw extractor, fixed ejector, Savage style floating bolt head and Savage small shank tendon threads. Kinda felt like a plastic BB gun to be honest, but it is supposed to be light and it is. The rifle was a little front heavy with a full-length barrel, but I imagine the will change with an optic mounted. I wanted a lightweight 6.5 CM for hunting with a full length barrel and most companies making lightweight 6.5's a chopping the barrels at 22" at most. I shipped it off on the 5/02 and I will update post when I get it back, scope the bore, mount an optic and break it in.
the action is a bighorn origin. they break in pretty quickly

I’m seriously considering one of these for a mountain rifle. Curious to hear how it shoots once you get it back.

It’s branded Proof, but as mentioned above, Proof is using the Big Horn Origin for this rifle.

I have one in 6.5, and it’s a great little rifle. Preliminary load work up has all been sub moa 5 shot groups with hunting bullets with my can attached. It’s showing a lot of promise for my lightweight hunting rig.

Reactions: duramaxed
It’s branded Proof, but as mentioned above, Proof is using the Big Horn Origin for this rifle.

I have one in 6.5, and it’s a great little rifle. Preliminary load work up has all been sub moa 5 shot groups with hunting bullets with my can attached. It’s showing a lot of promise for my lightweight hunting rig.

What can are you using and how does it balance with a longer barrel?

I’ve got a Dead Air Sandman Ti. It’s a bit muzzle heavy, but I actually shoot that better than a rifle that balances below the mag well. As I said I’m pretty optimistic that this is going to end up as a dynamite hunting rig.

I had an issue with a proof research switch (somehow got wrong bolthead). Their customer service addressed immediately, outstanding, and no questions asked.

Well, I received a voicemail from Andy at Proof Research today while at work and he confirmed that there was some pitting inside the barrel. He said the barrel shouldn't have made it through their quality control and they have re-barreled the rifle. The rifle was test fired to ensure it met quality/accuracy standards and they shipped it out today. Can't wait to get it, inspect it, break it in, and see how it shoots.

Well, I received to rifle back from Proof research and it has a new barrel on it. I scoped the bore on the new barrel and it is better. I ordered a Leopold VX5 and when it shows up, I will mount it up and see how she shoots.

Good job Proof research on taking care of your customers.

Well, I received to rifle back from Proof research and it has a new barrel on it. I scoped the bore on the new barrel and it is better. I ordered a Leopold VX5 and when it shows up, I will mount it up and see how she shoots.

Good job Proof research on taking care of your customers.
Any update on how she shoots?

I wish they made the 6.5 in a 20" barrel. I inquired about it via email and they said it was not an option to spin one on at this time.

I did the same thing. I want a 20" 6.5 PRC....nobody makes one. I'm not looking to spend that custom money anymore. The factory stuff shoots good enough.

So these things are now selling for $2316 at some of the online retailers. That seems.... remarkably cheap for what it is. It's like paying for the barreled action and trigger, and getting the stock for free. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
So these things are now selling for $2316 at some of the online retailers. That seems.... remarkably cheap for what it is. It's like paying for the barreled action and trigger, and getting the stock for free. What do you guys think?

Origin 825
Prefit proof 825
Stock 500
Trigger 200

Decent deal

Origin 825
Prefit proof 825
Stock 500
Trigger 200

Decent deal

Yeah, plus the stock is a CF proof stock that retails for $850. Also there's the cost of the BDL. ~$150.

Spend another $350 on a KRG Bravo and you have effectively a nice precision rifle and a nice hunting rifle.

Used my 6.5 to take a nice big Cow elk in Colorado. 127 LRX over 41.3 grains of H-4350 did the trick. 289 yards quartering away, I took a neck shot and stoned her.

Reactions: Genin
I like that stock. Did you buy an after market stock, paint it, or get from proof like that? I thought these came with black stock only.

Brianc74, I’m sure they will take care of it for you. No doubt very frustrating. I imagine they were working holiday hours this week and that is why you didn’t get an answer.

I have a LWRCI REPR Elite in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. From day-1 it's been a friggin' nail driver ... shooting sub-MOA to distances of 1,000 yards and further. After a few cycles in our monthly gas-gun competitions, I get a group of guys around telling me I'm "cheating" because no gas-gun should be that accurate at those distances. I'm pondering a few re-barrels with Proof Research on other guns. The REPR was wicked expensive ... but it's more fun than two twenty-year-olds ... and it's way easier to keep it happy.

A Proof representative contacted me yesterday. She explained the muzzle end of the barrel to me. She said the had planned to use button pulled barrels in the beginning but decided to stay with the cut rifling instead. With this. They had setup the machines to backbore the muzzle to get rid of the processing runout of the barrel during button rifling. So when they chose to use the cut rifle liners they did not change the computer settings. So my rifle during the muzzle threading to 5/8x24 was back bored about 7/10 of an inch with a light crown to be parallel to the bore. I can see the whole thing now that I know about it. She said this is just part of their manufacturing process and it will shoot great for me. I did ask how a person is to recrown the barrel if needed. As we all know. Most barrels will probably need a new crown to regain accuracy after several hundred rounds, as the fire coming out of the muzzle will eat away at the crown. She said she didn’t know. That is a good question she said.

Hopefully she will get back to me on that.

Brian
any updates from proof research?