• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Proof Testing?

bowm0051

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2011
Minnesota
So I purchased a Savage Target Action from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply (great to work with btw). The tag on the action gives a warning that the action has not been proof tested. Should I be concerned about this or is it just another case of lawyer CYA? Should I perform some testing on my own? How would I go about it?

Re: Proof Testing?

1. why dont you call savage or where you bought it
2. i personally would not worry unless you are shooting over pressure loads
3. this is just an opinion

i was nice enuff to call them for you.. im assuming you bought the action without a barrel attached to it...

there not proofed because they have not been shot.. simply when the barrel gets attached by you or a gun smith proof it simple.. you never know mayber there is an out or spec part on the action and something happens.. thats all it basically means to me..

Re: Proof Testing?

Slightly different laws over here in UK,
I believe everything has to be legally proof tested before
Legally SOLD.

(I think proof testing means they put a round thru it 30% over the sammi pressure limit)

So you can buy a blank barrell, cut/ream/etc shoot it yourself, but
Before you can legally sell it.. You gotta proof it.

Same applies for ammo.. You can't LEGALLY sell handloaded ammo if it hasn't been legally proofed!