• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Proper maintenance for direct thread cans ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I hope my OCD isn't getting the best of me, but I'm curious how you all maintain, clean and protect your threads ? Both on the rifle and the can itself ?

I have direct thread TBAC cans.

On the advice from industry experts, I put a dab of anti-seize on the threads of the rifle before I install the can. As it was explained to me, this is to prevent galling. I don't over do it, just a small amount. I sometimes will put a dab inside the can where the threading is as well. I usually just take my finger and spread it out and wipe off the excess with my finger. I bought the anti seize from an auto parts store.

As far as maintenance of the threads themselves, I usually take a few cotton balls and clean off the carbon and anti seize. The threads aren't usually that dirty but if I see any residue, I just clean it with a patch and cotton ball it again to remove any excess oil.

I use a thread protector when the rifle is being transported or when it is being stored.

What do you guys do ?

I invested a lot in my TBAC cans and I want to make sure I'm keeping them in the best shape possible. Thanks.

Anti seize should not be necessary to use on a regular basis. It's just a safeguard that helps prevent galling the first time or couple times you thread a can to a newly-threaded barrel. We ship cans with a dab of anti seize on the suppressor threads which is dispersed after threading on a couple rifles.

If the barrel threads are in spec, the threads should be kept clean, dry, and free of debris. That's how we maintain our cans.

If you do want to reapply anti seize, use just a little bit over clean threads and make sure not debris gets embedded in it.

Interesting. It appears there are several grades even within the Loctite family of anti-seize products: heavy duty, nickel, silver, copper, even "food grade." Which one(s) are correct?

Last edited:
The Heavy Duty grade is used for anyone who is taller than 5'11" or weighs more than .68 x body surface area. Has to do with how much torque you apply to the threads
Only use the Food Grade if you are hunting with the can attached, if you are not hunting then you can use any other grade beside the HD unless you fall into the factory specs.
Hope that helps

I clean as needed. Meaning, rarely.

I use anti seize as needed. Meaning only on the internal threading of a take-apart can. Not on the rifle / can mount threading

Last edited: