• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proper Muzzle Velocity?

Christopher.Schiller

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
So I have since done my research and know that a heavier .308 bullet will treat me better, but I have a new question. With a 1:10 twist, what would be the highest muzzle velocity I could go without shooting out the barrel in said .308?

BTW, if you can't tell, I'm so new to bolt action long guns that I'm still in the decision phase of what I want to get and I want to be sure that I get what is something I'm happy with.

Re: Proper Muzzle Velocity?

The barrel isn't going to just shoot out in a hurry if you're not abusing it. Rather than chasing velocity, chase accuracy and you'll be ahead in the game.

Are you going to load your own ammo? Or just buy ammo and save the cases?

If you are buying new, check out southwest ammo. They have just about the best prices in the world, supposed to be excellent to superior in accuracy, and come with quality components. They are also a snipershide vendor. I learned very quickly to deal with vendors from this board. The ones I have dealt with have the best customer service in the industry. Also try FGMM ammo. Shoots excellent in all my .308's.

If you are rolling your own, find a load that shoots good, write it down, and go shoot. If your gun shoots sub-moa, how much more accurate do you need? My most accurate loads fall right in around 2600 fps, not because I was aiming for that velocity, just happens that is where they shoot good.

I know I should worry about accuracy but I want to find a happy coexistence between velocity and accuracy and bullet weight.

My thought is this: If you know your velocity, you can build your DOPE (using JBM, shooter app, or whatever), and then you can spend more time shooting and verifying your DOPE.

In a 308, with 175gr SMK's, I would not push too close to 2700fps. Like I said, mine are shooting right at 2600fps (175gr SMK), and it is perfect. No sticky ejections, no sticky bolt, only very light extractor marks. That is what I would go for. Your gun will let you know if there is too much oomph behind your bullet.

What weight bullet you planning to use?

I'm still very unsure what I want to shoot. I still need to get the rifle, but want to be sure a .308 is what I want.

You aren't going to get a .308 with heavier bullets (180 plus) much faster than the 2500 or so fps, not nearly fast enough to wear out the barrel quickly. Keep in mind even a 300 Win mag shooting 180gr bullets is typically around 2800-2900 fps...

John

And keep in mind, the greater the MV, the greater the recoil. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Wow what a thread. A bunch of misinformation floating around here. So lets start here. 308 is known for good barrel life and it is very difficult to work up a safe load that will be hard on barrels. Now on the subject of barrel wear MV has very little to do with it. A barrels three worst enemies are these and in this order:

1) Heat
2) Pressure
3) Improper cleaning techniques

So forget about MV and just find a safe load the shoots well out of your rifle. Also barrels are expendable, this is just a simple truth in the firearms industry you might as well get used to it.