• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proper shooting technique

Meat Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2011
SE TN
I keep reading from guys on here and other places about proper shooting techniques. The context has been mostly when dealing with muzzle "bounce" or recoil from calibers such as the .308. Some have stated that with proper shooting technique you would not need a muzzle brake or compensator. I would be very interested in learning this technique if someone would please explain. I have tried everything I know to see the hits and cannot even with a compensator. My rifle simply jumps too much. Tight hold, lose hold, holding the forearm or shooting cross armed does not stop the jump. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Re: Proper shooting technique

For the best details and instruction subscribe to the online course for details, check out the "marksmanship" section here. Aside from having the butt correctly positioned, there is a technique called "loading the bipod" to decrease hop, which is basically a forward shift of your body weight raising the rifle forward on top of the bipod and then settling down into your normal relaxed shooting position. Some people do this "lift" by using an anchored foot or big toe, I personally find I have to use my thigh muscle and inner forward sides of the feet. Staying relaxed as you shoot is part of they key - letting the recoil ride through you so you move as one unit with your rifle instead of the rifle recoil just slamming into you. That's also why its easier to be directly behind or "square" to your rifle (and this opens up a whole discussion on making yourself a smaller or bigger target to the enemy...) If you have a light rifle that is a high caliber, some "hop" and recoil is inevitable, esp. if you are small or less muscular. You can also add weight to the stock to decrease hop, but there is a trade off in energy expenditure in carrying the extra weight. Yes, adding a brake, or better yet suppressor, will reduce recoil and help you see your "splashes".

As stated above some 'hop' is just going to happen. Can't beat the physics behind the bullet. I have recently switched from a harris to an atlas bipod, and can say for me this has maded a significant improvement in reducing that hop. The atlas allows you to load the bipod more efficently, which allow for more of the recoil to be taken up by the bipod rather than 'hopping' up. I am definitely not as experienced as some on here, but really like the switch to the Atlas.

With due respect to my fellow member and shooter: Horse feathers! The best instruction will be from a seasoned marksman coaching, perhaps a veteran High Power marksman, for example - a marksman accomplished in the art of shooting and coaching.

A few weekends ago a shooter friend's brother enjoyed an afternoon of shooting with us. He'd perfected a destructive habit of raising his head immediately upon firing his shot, in addition to shouldering the rifle far too low on the shoulder. Whether he was looking for something or this was simply inadvertent even he didn't know. Worse, he couldn't stop the habit.

A coach can help you spot this kind of flaw for example. Train up with a rimfire at 200 yards. You will experience little or no recoil and the distance should provide time to spot your impact with a good optic on the right magnification. Promote yourself to a centerfire 22 caliber, then 264?

To see trace requires a combination of particular atmospheric conditions. Impact on steel isn't always visible either. As usual, guys don't boast much about when they don't see it.

Slung up tight and the rifle doesn't bounce...it's more like a push. I can stay right with the scope after recoil and I'm usually right on it. Learn to shoot with a sling.