• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proper size flash hole diameter 6.5 creedmoor

texasleftychef

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
I just got some new 6.5 Creedmoor brass that I am starting to prep in preparation for my new stick coming next week.

I have been spoiled in the past by only using Lapua and am not too sure thus far about the quality of the Hornaday brass. The Hornaday feels very light and thin.

One of the problems I am finding is that the flash holes all seem to be much smaller than .080. (have also seen .082 too), which appears from all my research to be the number they should be. I was hoping that somebody could confirm that this is what they should be and not some off the wall number.

thanks in advance.

Eric.

Re: Proper size flash hole diameter 6.5 creedmoor

I couldn't find anything on the Hornady site, except that it's a .210"/LR primer.

Maybe load up a small batch with stock holes and then bore some out to .080" and compare?

Chris

It should be a standard large rifle primer pocket, with a standard 0.080" flash hole. Nothing special. That said... Hornady has never been exactly known for their match grade brass. I'm not saying it won't shoot just fine for most purposes short of formal LR F-Class & BR, but if the holes are inconsistent and/or under-sized... just run a flash hole reamer in there and be done with it.

Well I called Hornady today to be sure and they said that the factory spec for the flash hole is .078. Seems a little weird to me that they would be the only ones using this size but that is what they said. I think I am going to ream them out to .081 to make then all uniform though.

Still not 100% sure on the factory brass. Thus far I have formed about 35 .308 Lapua to Creedmoor size to compare against the factory. Biggest difference thus far is the weight. Lapua weighs about 20 grains more and feels super solid.

I will report back more with any discoveries.

Eric.

Do some research on Accurateshooter.com if I am not wrong, you can make 6.5 Creedmoor brass from Lapua 22-250 brass. And using a flash hole reamer to insure that your flash holes are uniform is not a bad idea. I do it, esp to Winchester brass. I have also done it to Lapua brass as well.