• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Proper way to work up a load?

stoop14

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2010
I'm starting to reload for my 5r .308 and was wondering what do I work on first the powder charge then the distance off the lands or other way around? And if it the powder charge first hat ogive should I use for that?

Re: Proper way to work up a load?

I do the charge first, then the jump.

But before anything, I think you should try to determine the max charge before signs of excess pressure appear.

Powder charge first, fine tune with seating depth after...

what i do:

1. determining what bullet style and weight works the best off the shelf compared to the type of shooting i'm going to do (hunting or target, short or long range), with the intent of tweeking it from there.

2. proper case length so as not to f up the chamber

3. a safe powder charge, followed by a performance powder charge / choice that is not over or under charging the cartridge or head that was determined in #1.

4. completed case OAL, keeping #1,2,3 in mind.

5. then comes the primer selection

6. when all of that is working in harmony, smaller tweeks like neck tension, crimp / no crimp, primer pocket uniformity, and all the other "little" things.

6. when all of the that is determined and working well with each other, crank 'em out.

My method, decidedly not as complex as some others.

Prepare brass: resize, trim, chamfer, primer pockets
I use a Lee Collet neck die, works well for me.
Prime and set aside.
ETA: Don't forget the case gauge.
Sort bullets by bearing length.
Calibrate the scale, set it, and trickle the charges.

Seat bullets by ogive measurement. I use a Redding micrometer seater die.
I don't crimp for bolt guns and rarely for anything else, usually as an experiment only to see what will happen.
I test loads that vary only in one dimension per range trip, powder charge first. Once I find one that's promising if I'm not lucky enough to hit it, next trip will play with OAL again measured by ogive. I don't worry with a chronograph until I find one that groups, and it must group repeatedly.

As for ogive, I measured FGMM 175 at 2.222 with the Hornady set and used that as a standard to work from. My 5R shot best 5 round group of .483 at 2.232 ogive measurement using 43.5 Varget with FGMM brass at 2.005-2.007 with Wolf primers, 100 yds. Same everything except ogive at 2.222 shot just under an inch as did 175 FGMM. Next range trip I'll see if it repeats and then gather data.

If you work at it the rifle will definitely shoot, so don't become discouraged.

Check out the sticky at the top of the first page of this forum.

Read Tresmon's stickys at the top of the page & then re-read them.

Find your distance to the lands, jam the pill .01" in & ladder test that powder/bullet combo. Refine from there.

Good reading at the top of the page. Tresmon has saved many new reloaders a lot of time thru his posts here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stoop14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm starting to reload for my 5r .308 and was wondering what do I work on first the powder charge then the distance off the lands or other way around? And if it the powder charge first hat ogive should I use for that? </div></div>

Skip all the fluff and bullshit, and read this until you completely UNDERSTAND it......

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/