• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Proposed Precision Build- New to the game

lamarbrog

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Houston, TX
Hello! I'm just starting to get into long range precision shooting (after initially considering it to be boring... Crazy, right?)I'm trying to get in with something affordable, and with the help of a few friends and some reading, I've put together a "shopping list".

I think I've thought it all through pretty thoroughly, but the reputation of this forum is widely known, so I thought I'd see what y'all think before I get too far into it.

Here's it is...

Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308Win
H-S Precision PST012 Stock
NightForce 20MOA Base
NightForce 30mm Scope Rings (not sure which height I need).
SWFA SS 10x42mm w/ Side Focus (so I want the "sun shade" and/or caps?)
HRMS Harris Bipod

This ought to come out to being about $1650, assuming my math is correct.

Is there anything I'm wasting money on here? Something I should put some more money into (while still staying under $1800)? Something I can swap out for about the same price?

I very recently learned of the SWFA SS 10x42mm. I'd previously been looking at a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm. Turns out they're about the same price, and the SWFA has some features a like (side focus) and has a great reputation. So, great information like that is what I'm after.

I appreciate the input. Looking forward to learning a lot.

Re: Proposed Precision Build- New to the game

If you are looking to spend that kind of money, consider getting your gun bedded in your new stock. That would put you under your 1800 dollar cap and it would be money well spent. Good luck with your new project.

I'd heard that the H-S Precision stocks with the aluminum bedding block don't need to be bedded. Is that incorrect?

Also, how necessary is a torque screw driver? Since I'll probably not be using it much, what's a fairly cheap one?

Wheeler makes a cheap Chinese made torque wrench called the "Fat" wrench. I got one at Bass Pro Shops for $50. I guess it will get you by. Mine seems to work fine but I wish I had waited and found a Borka torque wrench or a quality brand cause I have no idea how accurate the fat wrench is. Hopefully its not $50 worth of not shit...

I would have to say that investing in a good torque wrench instead of some Chinese poo would be like the difference in using surplus ammo and handloads, you get what you pay for. The wrench could be used for any rifle you own, on scope bases, rings and action screws.

Get a torque wrench. Never thought I'd use it much but I ended up using it all the time. Wheeler FAT is pretty cheap, but it has had some mixed reviews.

if you want budget run with the bushnell fixed 10x mildot/mil knobs leupold prw rings and egw 20moa base.

honeslty i would also recommend just getting the 700 ltr, it already comes with nice hs stock and isn't a jlock reciever. it also has a better finish and typically smoother action than the sps line.

this could save you at least $500 and you could spend the money on ammo or training which would be my advice, unless you can get hooked up with a good bunch of local shooters.

I have been using the SWFA SS10x with side focus and it has been good to me. I've had zero issues with it but my only complaint is the mildot reticle and MOA knobs. I was just getting started at the time so it wasn't a big deal. I would say it's' an all around good scope to start with if it's all you can afford. I'll be upgrading to a better scope with matching reticle and knobs here shortly though.

The SS10x42M is a great scope, as long as you don't mind mil/moa reticle/knobs. Sturdy, repeatable, good glass. I'd get the sunshade though. I was shooting on a bright day without mine and it was a little intense, but that could just be my cataracts letting in too much light....

I think I understand how MilDots work for estimating range. (I read the website about how they work... so it's probably a basic understanding.)

How does that relate to having MOA knobs? I guess I'm just thinking it through, and that seems like it's the easy/logical way to do it. But if more experienced shooters (you guys) see it as a problem, maybe I'm not really understanding as much as I think I am.

The way I'm thinking of it is you'd use your MilDots on something of known size to find out how far away it is. Then, knowing your bullet drop at that distance, you just turn your knobs to adjust.

So, let's say you have a target, you measure it with MilDots and find that it is 500 yards away. You have a 100 yard zero, and know that your drop at 500 yards is 20". Your scope adjusts in 1/4 MOA increments, so you'd give it 80 clicks up. ... What other ways would this be done?

[/quote] So, let's say you have a target, you measure it with MilDots and find that it is 500 yards away. You have a 100 yard zero, and know that your drop at 500 yards is 20". Your scope adjusts in 1/4 MOA increments, so you'd give it 80 clicks up. ... What other ways would this be done? [/quote]

What are clicks?

Delete that word from your memory bank. You would dial 4 minutes or 4 moa and squeeze. There is no need to use "click" values with a scope, in fact, it'll potentially just confuse you. Get used to thinking in MOA.

In the case of the particular scope in question, it's 1/4 MOA. If I just know I need a 20 MOA adjustment... I still don't know what to do to the knob. Since it's a 1/4MOA adjustment, and I need 20 MOA... It's going to require 80 of something.

But, since it's at 500 yards... 20" isn't 20MOA, right? That'd be at 100 yards. Each MOA is getting larger in inches as it moves outward... So... 20MOA divided by (?) 5 is equal to 4MOA.

4MOA x 1/4 MOA increments = 16 of something. (What term should I use to indicate one adjustment of the knob? Seems to me that's eventually what it boils down to.)

... I wish they had covered this in high school Geometry...

1 MOA at 500 yds is roughly 5 inches. Therefore, 5 X 4=20 inches.

Dial your knob to 4 and shoot.

Alrighty, that's if you're zeroed at 100 yards and want to shoot at 500.

What if you are already zeroed at 300 yards? Or, maybe 600 yards?

Do you subtract 300 from 500, to get 200... then adjust for 200 yards? (Since 300x=0y... 500x=200y... right?) ... Or am I making this too complicated?

... wait, but the change in bullet drop from 0-200, and 300-500 would be different... so that wouldn't work. Hmmm

MOA *bullet impact up* for new distance = [drop in inches from your zero]/[distance in hundreds of yards]

So if you're zeroed at 300 yards and the relative drop for 600 yards is 72 inches below your 300 yard zero, you take the inches and divide by distance in hundreds of yards. So 72 / 6 = 12. So you need to dial "up" 12 MOA. Of course MOA isn't EXACTLY 1" but it's close enough for that range to not matter.

I'll admit right now. I've only used a magnified optic on a rifle on one occasion. My experience besides that has been with reflex sights such as the Eotech.

The only scope I've spent any time at all with was an old Bushnell 3-9 power. You unscrewed these little caps, and used a quarter to turn these little dials inside.

Maybe this is the source of my confusion. When you're turning these knobs on a tactical scope... you're changing your zero, right? If I zero the rifle for 300 yards... and then adjust the knobs because my target is at 500 yards... I'm changing the zero. Or, is there another way that the zero is changed, and the knobs are just making adjustments in relation to the true zero?

... Sorry if that doesn't make any sense... I've got no experience in this area.

I'd just get a Remington 5r Mil-Spec .308 and add the scope etc. Ready to go out of the box...Maybe cheaper that way as well. I think you would have better resale value with the 5r no matter what...

I actually already have the stock (HS Precision PST012). I'm just deciding which rifle I want- The SPS Tactical or the Varmint. (20" vs. 26")

I'm really not that fond of the stainless anyway. I'm used to the "black rifle" look.

Get the AAC-SD then. Already threaded barrel and pretty cool markings on the action...in my opinion. You guys can call me gay, but I like the AAC-SD on the action!

I'm in your same shoes. I'm starting my 1st build and it's going to be on a budget.
Remington has a $75 rebate on the SPS Varmint. BudsGuns.com sells the Remington 700 SPS synthetic varmint in .308 for $546, no tax and shipped to your FFL. That's $471, you will need to add in the FFL dealer cost but that's a $20 dollar bill where I'm from.
If you check out Stockysstocks.com, you can find a HS or B&C stock similar to what your looking at for $203. Although, I've read some bad review's of this site.
EGW base is about $40 and Burris XTR rings for $55, and these are new prices. I've seen the EGW base sell for $25 used on here and I picked up Burris XTR med rings for $40 shipped, also on this site. Bushenell Elite 3200 10x40 MIL/MOA you can find here used for $125-$150. You could bed the stock yourself or have a gunsmith do it for around $100.
At the cheapest you could build this for just over $1,000. That gives you alot of room for better glass, which if all my reading has done me any justice, that's a good place to sack some money.
I understand I don't have alot of posts yet so you can take what I've written for what it's worth.
If your not in a hurry to build this gun, a few weeks or months on here before you build will help answer alot of questions you will have.

Good Luck

I forgot about that rebate... I'll definitely get the SPS Varmint now.

I got my HS Precision at MidwayUSA for $298 shipped. Got to me in under 96 hours from placing the order to being in my doorstep.

I'm going with a higher end base and rings... I figure it won't hurt a cheap scope to be in nice rings, but it may hurt a nice scope to be in cheap rings. Less to upgrade later. Just my philosophy.

I'll eventually get better glass... The Super Sniper is just to allow me to shoot it until then.