• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Pros and Cons for IOR Valdada

Monkey83

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
AE
Hey, I would like to get some input regarding the 3.5-18x50 35mm FFP SF MIL/MIL Tactical DIGITALLY Illuminated MP-8 Dot Mod
Im debating between The Valdada or Leupold ER/T Mark IV...

Re: Pros and Cons for IOR Valdada

Pros
-great glass
-MP8 is a nice reticle
-nice elevation turret
-responsive customer service

Cons
-dubious history of earlier gens of some models
-resale value not that of some makers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pros
-great glass
-MP8 is a nice reticle
-nice elevation turret
-responsive customer service

Cons
-dubious history of earlier gens of some models
-resale value not that of some makers </div></div>

Good summary. The mechanical quality of new models has been excellent so that wouldn't be a worry, yet the resale does lag bit in value. That said, I would take IOR all day long over a Leupold at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Booze"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I would like to get some input regarding the 3.5-18x50 35mm FFP SF MIL/MIL Tactical DIGITALLY Illuminated MP-8 Dot Mod
Im debating between The Valdada or Leupold ER/T Mark IV... </div></div>

The IOR is head and shoulders above the Leupold scope in workmanship and quality of materials. The IOR is greatly superior in glass, the reticle is great and this scope is a value for the price.I have a number of IOR scopes and sold many of my Leupold.

Contact Scott at Liberty Optics if you decide to purchase an IOR scope. You will be well taken care of.

Depending on your intended use, I would say the biggest pro for IOR vs the Leupold would be the magnification range. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the IOR due to the mag. range and the illuminated reticle.

IOR has better glass and more features Leupold are generally lighter in weight and if you're mil or police you can get a discount. If AE means mil postal then you might qualify for that discount.

I went from Leupold Vari-x iii to IOR on several rifles and the difference in glass quality was astounding.

The new 4-16 IOR FFP is the one I would get. Has all the features of the 3-18 you are looking at for 400$ less. Same knobs, reticule, illumination, even same amount of travel in a 30mm tube...

Not sure why you're debating; I'd take the IOR over the Leuopld in a heartbeat given my experience with the IOR 2.5–10x42 FFP on my precision AR-15 compared to looking through a couple of Leupolds and reading problem reports of Leupolds on this board. Some digging with the search engine should turn up good info for you. My favorite thing about the IORs is the modified MP-8 reticle.

Consider also the SWFA 5–20x50 in this price range.

—Andreas

Booze,
I have the 3.5-18 and absolutley love it. I cant find any pro to the Leupold except US made. Other than that the glass, eye box, mag range, turrets, reticle, etc is all superior on the IOR

Leupy's are good but not on the same level. Good luck with your choice and definitely talk to Scott over at Liberty Optics, great prices and great customer service.

Steve

Tks to everyone for the input, I was debating because of an article that I read. Ill get The IOR Valdada for my GA Crusader! Ill post pxs... Thanks again

IOR's, at least my older 06 circa 4-14 MP8, are heavy.

That can be a pro and con all at the same time. One thing is they are built tuff !

I have the 3.5x18 50mm Ffp scope. I really like the turrets and reticle, glass is the best I've ever owned. The only thing that is a little below par (for me) is that the eye box is a little touchy. But I also wear glasses which doesn't help. The scope is still light years better then the vx3 my rifle came with.

IOR is good to go. You will not be disappointed

I like the weight of leupold scopes, and they have been very reliable for me. Their customer service is excellent.
I like the IOR scopes more. Only downside for me is their increased weight. Have had 4 or 5, one being an earlier generation. All exceptional. I really like the IOR scopes.
To date my favorite reticle (of all I've used) is the MP8 dot.

I originally started with Nikon, Leupold, and Bushnell Elite scopes in the Tactical offerings and then graduated to IOR, Kahles, Swarovski, and a few others. I have to say for the price and quality of service IOR is VERY hard to beat. I have had several generations of IOR scopes and currently have an IOR Spartan 2-12 and a Snipers Hide 3-18. Val at Valdada Optics and Scott at Liberty Optics have always gone above and beyond to ensure their customers are taken care of. +1 for IOR!

I've got an IOR Valdada on my GAP. Works fine. At the highest magnification however, I feel the reticle lines are too thick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "Booze"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tks to everyone for the input, I was debating because of an article that I read. Ill get The IOR Valdada for my GA Crusader! Ill post pxs... Thanks again </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an IOR Valdada on my GAP. Works fine. At the highest magnification however, I feel the reticle lines are too thick.
</div></div>

What reticle do you have, is it FFP?

Actually I was afraid to open this thread, as I just ordered the exact scope the OP mentioned, and I thought I might find some terrible reviews. But I am glad I did. Oh, and I bought mine from SWFA. The price was >10% less than the other vendor mentioned in this thread.

most of the less than stellar reviews of IOR were of the earlier gen scopes---Val replaced 1 for me no questions asked n/c and I was not the original purchaser! no problems since with the latest generation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The price was >10% less than the other vendor mentioned in this thread. </div></div>

Anything is possible I guess, but I seriously doubt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The price was >10% less than the other vendor mentioned in this thread. </div></div>

Anything is possible I guess, but I seriously doubt it. </div></div>

I'd rather you did not impugn my statement. I did give you the first shot at my business, and I would like to do so again in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Anything is possible I guess, but I seriously doubt it. </div></div>

I'd rather you did not impugn my statement. I did give you the first shot at my business, and I would like to do so again in the future. </div></div>

PM sent

I stand corrected. I actually paid 8.6% less. Sometimes those big numbers and my little mind collide. I apologize for any confusion.

Thanks for calling me, patsim, per my request. We have been adhering to IOR Valdada's MAP policy on this scope and certainly discounts from other vendors could save you money over our website advertised price.

My records show you did inquire about this scope via email but we never got to the point of an offline quote for a Hide member. I think you would have found we would have been very competitive. I think you would agree we both had a part in this failure to communicate, per our discussion. We certainly could have done a better job.

Thanks for your followup and enjoy that new scope.

Scott

After talking with Scott the other night I just bought another IOR! I have had experience with the original 2.5-10x42mm hunting, then the 2.5-10x42mm Tactical, then the 3-18x42mm SFP, then the 3-18x42mm SH FFP, and I bought a SPARTAN 2-12x36mm and have decided I needed another 3-18 but this time I am moving to a 50mm objective. I have had some failures in the past but both Scott at Liberty Optics (has been very informative and ready to help) and Val at Valdada Optics has stood behind the product and have done nothing but answer all my questions and promptly repair or replace what was needed. For the price, the product, and the level of service I will remain a happy IOR owner/user.

I've been looking for info about the new IOR 4-16x50 with X1 reticle. Actually, when does it hit the market? I pm'd Scott this a.m. and waiting for a response. I am on the list for the Bushnell HDMR w/ G2 reticle and I'm torn between the two. Any info on when it comes out would be appreciated. Thanx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What reticle do you have, is it FFP?

Actually I was afraid to open this thread, as I just ordered the exact scope the OP mentioned, and I thought I might find some terrible reviews. But I am glad I did. Oh, and I bought mine from SWFA. The price was >10% less than the other vendor mentioned in this thread. </div></div>

Thank you for the business and referrals. We have tons of Valdada scopes in stock and more coming in as fast as Val can ship them.

If our price is not the lowest you can find we do offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee. Simply fill the form out and we'll send you a coupon code to use during the check out process.

http://swfa.com/IOR-Valdada-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C90.aspx

http://swfa.com/PriceMatch.aspx

Also check The SampleList.com site for deals on used or demo Valdada scopes.

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Valdada