• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Pros and cons of sealed vs break down suppressor

Jeff in TX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2004
McKinney, TX
My suppressor is the break down version meaning I can take the front and rear end caps off, baffles and bullet strike tube out for cleaning. My buddy’s suppressors are all the sealed type with no way of breaking it down. He told me he should never have to clean his

I do like the fact that I can break my suppressors down and have cleaned it once. Not a chore I would like to do on a regular basis but I could see the need after a few thousand rounds.

Having stated all this are the really any benefits to a sealed over a break down or vice versa, or is it just personal preference?

As always, thanks for your input!

Jeff

Rimfire- yes cause they get messy

Centerfire- no need, the suppressor is supposed to selfclean and unless that, they only last about the lifetime of a barrel, alu versions that is and then its´s time for a new one.

/Chris

It really depends on how much you plan to shoot with the 22 can. I have a shooting buddy that has over 10k of ammo through his Outback II and it's still quiet. He kids that one of these days he might send it into Gemtech for the "D" upgrade.

I have both sealed suppressors (. 22,. 45,.223) and a complete take apart can on a SMG in 9mm & 45). I have never needed to clean any of my suppressors even after LOTS of rounds fired. The. 22 is definitely the dirtiest and it had not changed after a couple thousand rounds. The. 22 can is stainless steel so I can clean it with "the dip" when it needs it.

I am in NO WAY an authority on Can's; I've read by other posters -on this site- concerning the .22 cans that they have to be cleaned every couple hundred rounds, more rounds meant more EFFORT to take apart and it would be possiible -given the worst scenario- too many round's and it would not come apart.

Me: I'd rather spend more time shooting few hundred or a brick thru my SEALED OutBack2 rather than spend MAYBE AS MUCH TIME CLEANING AS SHOOTING! My next CAN will be a TBA, 22L-1 or something like those numbers. It will handle 22 lr as well as 22mag. it is All Titanium and can be soaked....to be cleaned...