• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pros/Cons of 5R rifling

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    Looking at Bartlein barrels & almost all of them are 5R rifled. Going to be rebarralling my 300 WM soon. Has a Krieger 1-10 with 3100 rnds on it now.
    What are your thoughts?

Pro is they are great, con is they arent "traditional" groves and lands.

Since youre having to ask you wont be able to shoot the difference. Its really only benchrest that seems to like the normal 4 groves over 5r but that could very well just be steeped in tradition. Some say that 5r fouls less and cleans easier. Some say that it doesnt.

And there you have what ever forum conversation about 5r boils down to only with out the eventual multiple insults and name calling lol

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/faxonfirearms.com\/product_images\/uploaded_images\/riflingprofiles-zps0f29dd06.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The odd number of lands also prevents the lands from being diametrically opposed, supposedly decreasing stress on the bullet

5r's are very popular, which is why the stocking vendors have them. I think it's a fad mostly. Ive owned a fair number of them, and they shoot awesome, no denying that. Buy with confidence. If you end up going direct with bartlein, they have quite a few different land profiles for you to order if youre interested.

Ok thanks. I was aware of the physical differences between the two but have never actually shot one or know anyone who had one either.
    This rifle is my ELR right & seldom fires on Sunday 1200 ystems targets so accuracy & speed are essential.
    I've heard that Bartlein barrels are "fast" & I know my Krieger is "fast". Don't want to compromise anything since I'm having incredible results with the Krieger now.

If you have that many rounds on a 300WM and it still shoots; I would find another barrel like that, Just sayin!! I have had both type barrels, now a 5R Bartlein. I can't tell if one is more accurate than the other. Both shot very well and handled heat well too, regarding longevity.

I think one "con" is that the "5R" name is getting a bad rap due to recent marketing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what made 5R famous was its enhancement over other geometries of cut-rifling . . . with the catch being that we were always talking about cut-rifling.

I see now that manufacturers are using the "5R" label on both hammer-forged and button-rifled barrels. Apples to oranges to bananas . . .

I don't think anyone has claimed more accurate, just all else being equal 5r, 3r, poly, etc, are slightly faster, might last slightly longer, and slightly easier to clean.

Ok thanks. What about velocity? What are those with the Bartlein getting for velocity as compared to say a Heart or Benchmark?
    My Krieger has been giving just shy of RUM velocities in my Win Mag.

Ok thanks. What about velocity? What are those with the Bartlein getting for velocity as compared to say a Heart or Benchmark?

IMO, there's no good answer to that. Asking a bunch of handloaders what their particular barrel will do just isnt useful. Too many variables.

Reactions: PoorFarmer

Even if there was an answer to that, its debatable. Slower twists yield faster velocities vs faster twists, but even that is almost negligible. Probably a big enough difference to notice between, say a 1/9 twist and a 1/12 twist. Supposedly gain twists yield faster velocities without the under-stabilization issues of the slower twists.

If you have that many rounds on a 300WM and it still shoots; I would find another barrel like that, Just sayin!! I have had both type barrels, now a 5R Bartlein. I can't tell if one is more accurate than the other. Both shot very well and handled heat well too, regarding longevity.

My thoughts exactly!

Barrel speed has too many variables to predict accurately from one maker or even the same maker and a different chamber reamer. Then there is the difference in the brass causing a varying pressure curve. Bullets vary, rifling cutters wear, chamber reamers wear and finally, barrels wear. Powders vary with age, temperature, storage conditions and temperature at the firing line. Primers? More of the same.
    If all is well, you'll get a barrel that performs very well and may even improve a bit as it wears. The better the manufacturer, chances are, it will be more consistent over the range of barrels that they sell. But, they can't control everything and maybe a heat treat on a batch of barrels didn't go as planned and there are some stresses in their that increase the friction of the bullet as it travels through the barrel.
    That is some of what determines the speed of the bullet as it exits the barrel. Basically it is a force vs friction experiment and you are dealing with machines, machinists, stock pulled off shelves and the level of QC at the manufacturer stage. Just shoot the damn thing and if your chronograph is running particularly well, accept what it tells you and modify your dope to suit.

Reactions: PoorFarmer