• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Cartridge change advice

I agree I love my X47. Question to you is should I just buy some factory 6BR Lapua ammo so I will have it for the brass (fire forming it to BRA) or just get Alpha brass?

I don't have any personal experience with Alpha brass, and fire forming for the BRA is easy and painless since you can still shoot accurately while fire forming, it's also a good way to break in the barrel. With my Dasher, I had one case failure out of every 100. With the BRA, out of the 450 or so cases I've fire formed I've had zero failures. My fire formed load is 29-gr of either RL15 or Varget behind a 105gr bullet.

Reactions: kthomas
I don't have any personal experience with Alpha brass, and fire forming for the BRA is easy and painless since you can still shoot accurately while fire forming, it's also a good way to break in the barrel. With my Dasher, I had one case failure out of every 100. With the BRA, out of the 450 or so cases I've fire formed I've had zero failures. My fire formed load is 29-gr of either RL15 or Varget behind a 105gr bullet.
I can’t find any Lapua brass at the moment so I just ordered some Lapua 105 Scenar L box ammo to fire form with. I will try the Alpha also just to have some data with that brass as well.

I put together a 6 BRA earlier this year for PRS. I've been shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor for the last 4 or 5 years and have done well with it. My experience has been that with the BRA I've shot some stupid small groups and also made some challenging shots, like headshots on a 66% IPSC from a bunch of positions on my barricade at 600+. That said, I shot better last year with my Tikka in 6.5 CM because I was practicing every weekend. This year I didn't practice much, struggled with some feeding issues, reloading issues, so having the BRA didn't give me better scores at all. I think the forgiveness of the BRA is certainly an advantage.

Last edited:
A little expensive, but saying it's in stock.

A little expensive, but saying it's in stock.

Just looked them up, it don’t seem like a legit company?

Yeah I seen the BR, should I fire form that or wait for the BRA brass to come back in stock?
Either or will work, I usually give a light load first firing regardless of brass choice. It'd form up just fine I'm sure. Maybe call alpha, sometimes they have extra laying in the back, dont ask me how I know. But sometimes they will help a fella in Need. Talk to Tom.

Reactions: Steve_O