• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Gun Buggy/Cart/Stroller conversions.

This is an interesting thread. Competitors have been using more effective brakes, heavier rigs and advanced bags to help them perform better, but a cart is the line in the sand.

I don’t use a cart, but I can see the advantages for some people in certain situations. I know guys who have crushed multiple vertebrae from falls, worn out their knees from running or just experienced wear and tear from aging where a cart would be helpful for them to complete a match without being in pain the last few hours and the following days.

Will it win them a match? Nope, not at all. Much like a brake or bag, it’s just another tool to help make a match more enjoyable and the brake and bags will likely help the hit percentage far more than a cart.
I don’t think anyone is going to begrudge someone using a walker or a wheelchair if they can’t walk either. I was under the impression this was about having more gear than you can comfortably carry in a ruck rather than a thread about handicap/medical condition aids at shooting competitions.

Presenting this like you need all that crap to someone new to the sport is what I sort of object to, but then again I really don’t give much of a fuck so knock yourself out.

I wonder which carts the pros use?

I don’t think anyone is going to begrudge someone using a walker or a wheelchair if they can’t walk either. I was under the impression this was about having more gear than you can comfortably carry in a ruck rather than a thread about handicap/medical condition aids at shooting competitions.

Presenting this like you need all that crap to someone new to the sport is what I sort of object to, but then again I really don’t give much of a fuck so knock yourself out.

No, OP started by wanting to see jogging stroller conversions, wagons etc and then it devolved into your g*y, lazy, fat etc etc for not personally carrying all your shit.
Like I said, I have both so depending on where the match is, what type of match, I'm taking the cart or the pack, whatever makes my day more enjoyable.
Now your definition of enjoyable may be 10 min miles, wall climbs and shooting while fire ants munch your nuts, that's fine, to each his own.

• Haha
Reactions: BoltRunner

I’m not an advocate for carrying lots of gear either. I just bring a gamechanger and pint size GC, binos and some tools and snacks/water.

But, to your question, rhetorical as it may be, I’ve seen a few guys that routinely place in the top 20 at matches using a cart. It may not be every match, but depending on the stage/match layout, they have a cart available if they think they’ll need it. These carts are modified jogging strollers.

Guys hanging out all day in 3-gun have been doing gear carts for long time . I seen this one particular type/model of baby jog cart stripped and remodeled a bunch .
These 3-wheel baby carts are very lightweight, have a quick-clip front wheel and brake, also has a pull-pin frame to fold down and lay flat . Also can hold 2 long guns on each side of frame . So just strip down and bolt a diamond plate to bottom and build to your needs .
So this is one that I did up . Also does good for going out on long hikes in big area for Coyote hunting or Sage Rat shooting .. etc .
-
BBY jog cart.jpg

-

On some ranges, it can be a serious stroll from the car-park to the firing line.

Here in Oz, I've seen shooters using basic, collapsible golf buggies to carry guns, ammo, umbrellas, food and water, camera kits, telescopes etc, in one neat package, up to the firing line..

Also seen some very impressive "bespoke" ones at Cowboy matches; added revolver loading stands for cap and ball, for instance.

The wildest one I have seen was like a narrow rickshaw, but using the sprung / damped front forks from mountain bikes to smooth out the ride. 26" "fatso" knobby tyres and all. It looked like it was based on a "rescue cart" designed for carrying a rescue stretcher over rough ground and narrow tracks.

The wheel; Right up there with the brass cartridge case, sliced bread and bottled beer.

I made one years ago for 3 gun matches, wish I had pics but when I stopped shooting matches my wife ordered the cart out of the garage. I used a three-wheel jogging stroller and can't stress enough to get the absolute biggest wheels you can find. As I recall the front wheel could be locked in a straight forward position - best for rough terrain, or allowed to swivel which was great on sidewalks/pavement. And if you can find air-less tires or find some sort of flat-free tires go for it; if you get a flat the cart isn't worth a thing. Most of my matches were on flat fields, but on rough ground it's much easier to pull than push. Not that I ever got around to it,but if you can also rig a way to pull it (waist harness?) that would be a plus.

Don't let the purists rattle you - they're probably the same ones that railed against these new fangled telescopes people are mounting on their guns and using instead of iron sights. People don't like change; unless it's their idea. Some of them will come around, some won't.

Use a converted golf caddy or check out Academy store and get one of those pull wagons. Work smarter not harder.

The realm has been machoman for a long time, like most sports and the military if you don't do it the tough guy way you're "gay" or what ever the case. Why waste your energy hauling gear around on your back for shoots that's tiring you out when you can roll it around with and safe that energy? Maybe they're jealous lack of brains.

Plus like it's been said, you run a risk of falling and injury before you even get to test yourself and show your skills.

Roll with the punches around here because not everyone has tact. It's a social media forum and like most there's not a lack of a**holes.

I use a Gorilla cart can haul cooler,clothes and gear plus use the cooler/cart as a seat while doing dope cards or glassing.
works great in sand( big tires)
I still carry my gun on my shoulder.

It is obvious that your a troll and don’t feel
like manning up to post your match stats
You just gotta keep hammerin' at it, building your well deserved brand.......Gunny First Class Asshat........

Guys hanging out all day in 3-gun have been doing gear carts for long time . I seen this one particular type/model of baby jog cart stripped and remodeled a bunch .
These 3-wheel baby carts are very lightweight, have a quick-clip front wheel and brake, also has a pull-pin frame to fold down and lay flat . Also can hold 2 long guns on each side of frame . So just strip down and bolt a diamond plate to bottom and build to your needs .
So this is one that I did up . Also does good for going out on long hikes in big area for Coyote hunting or Sage Rat shooting .. etc .
-
View attachment 7676395
-
I see a hunting trip to GoodWill in my future..... :) :) :) See those jog strollers all the time for $10-15, often reduced by 75% if not sold by fourth week. Are carts limited to non-powered? Anyone use a Gator or Ranger??? That'd be my style... :) :) :)

Back to the thread.
Thank ya'll for all the input, some good and some not so relevant.
All taken well, and No, I did not push the Mommy button.
But, I did get ideas and places to buy gun racks, etc.

Good for you. I am proud of you.
Fat? Nah. Lazy? No. To much shit? Probably.
I didn't say I couldn't do it, I just see an easier way. You do your thing, I will do mine, as long as we both enjoy it, why should you give a f---k how I get it done?
Hike all you want, it's not my thing.
Don't waste your time responding to assholes like this. Snipershide is loaded with dicks like this...

Reactions: Adam B
You are WAY off base thinking that anyone who derides you for your cart does so because they consider themselves macho, but that is a telling comment.

I, like many here, consider tactical steel/PRS to be a real sport. As such there is a minimum amount of athleticism and fitness required. I say "minimum" because it is extremely low. Somewhere between chess and badminton.

Obviously some matches like Mammoth are more physical than others, but carrying your gear, IMO, ought to be a requirement unless you have a disability.

I, like many here, consider tactical steel/PRS to be a real sport. As such there is a minimum amount of athleticism and fitness required. I say "minimum" because it is extremely low. Somewhere between chess and badminton.
Half the competitors I see at matches are morbidly obese. Let’s not kid ourselves. This is not a real sport.

https://rangetacticalgear.com/

More and more of these showing up at USPSA Matches, pricey for sure but well built for sure too and they break down much smaller than a stroller for packing in your vehicle. Where else can you get a keymod umbrella holder?

This is what I use for USPSA and Steel Challenge. They are definitely pricey, but they are very well made. The options on them are great too, you could easily set up a cart to carry a rifle on one side and have a wide enough bracket for one or more tripods on the other side. A guy I shoot with is sponsored by them so he always has the latest setup, and those big ass umbrellas are a life saver in the summer heat down here in the South. It's nice being able to carry a large range bag on the cart because I can keep plenty of tools and spare parts to help other competitors out if something breaks. On more than one occasion I have been able to save a match for someone by giving them a set of hex keys or a squib rob to get their gun back up. I couldn't be able to carry that stuff if I went all macho minimalist commando.

Coming from shooting USPSA and Steel Challenge before getting into PRS, I really don't understand the hate for carts. You don't get bonus points for making it more difficult on yourself to go from stage to stage. Even then, most of the guys I see talk shit about carts are the same guys who have gone out of their way to have a bag for every occasion, their rifle weighs as much as possible, they've got Kestrels, and bubble levels, and dope cards, and thousands of dollars into their rifle for every bit of competitive edge, but making it slightly easier to carry your shit is blasphemy? Fuck that, if I want to carry a small cooler so I have a snack and something cold to drink, I'm going to do it. If I want to carry some extra stuff with me that you feel is unnecessary, why are you upset about it? Is it holding back the squad like waiting for guys to make multiple trips to get their rifle, tripod(s), bags, etc?

This isn't a military op, chill the fuck out and let people do what they want. Like someone else said, unless if you're shooting something like Mammoth, why does it matter?

You are WAY off base thinking that anyone who derides you for your cart does so because they consider themselves macho, but that is a telling comment.

Obviously some matches like Mammoth are more physical than others, but carrying your gear, IMO, ought to be a requirement unless you have a disability.
Really now--------.
Fishing is a sport, does that make me an athlete?
I didn't say I couldn't carry my gear, but hey, you can make judgements about me without ever meeting me or knowing me.
By your estimation, anyone using a Kestrel is not a real shooter because they don't have REAL DOPE.
I can move my shit around the course, the cart would just make it easier, same as a Kestrel does in some situations.
I can say one thing, some ya'll take this shit way too seriously.

you are WAY off base thinking that anyone who derides you for your cart does so because they consider themselves macho, but that is a telling comment.​

I, like many here, consider tactical steel/PRS to be a real sport. As such there is a minimum amount of athleticism and fitness required. I say "minimum" because it is extremely low. Somewhere between chess and​

Half the competitors I see at matches are morbidly obese. Let’s not kid ourselves. This is not a real sport.
Really? I'd say that some of the local matches do have quite a few big boys, but I think they would be exceptions at the bigger, 2 day matches, and honestly I haven't seen anyone who had trouble moving or getting into position except the occasional very old fellers, and they get a pass because they're so old. Which goes back to my point about any criticism coming from machoism. It doesn't.
This is what I use for USPSA and Steel Challenge. They are definitely pricey, but they are very well made. The options on them are great too, you could easily set up a cart to carry a rifle on one side and have a wide enough bracket for one or more tripods on the other side. A guy I shoot with is sponsored by them so he always has the latest setup, and those big ass umbrellas are a life saver in the summer heat down here in the South. It's nice being able to carry a large range bag on the cart because I can keep plenty of tools and spare parts to help other competitors out if something breaks. On more than one occasion I have been able to save a match for someone by giving them a set of hex keys or a squib rob to get their gun back up. I couldn't be able to carry that stuff if I went all macho minimalist commando.

Coming from shooting USPSA and Steel Challenge before getting into PRS, I really don't understand the hate for carts. You don't get bonus points for making it more difficult on yourself to go from stage to stage. Even then, most of the guys I see talk shit about carts are the same guys who have gone out of their way to have a bag for every occasion, their rifle weighs as much as possible, they've got Kestrels, and bubble levels, and dope cards, and thousands of dollars into their rifle for every bit of competitive edge, but making it slightly easier to carry your shit is blasphemy? Fuck that, if I want to carry a small cooler so I have a snack and something cold to drink, I'm going to do it. If I want to carry some extra stuff with me that you feel is unnecessary, why are you upset about it? Is it holding back the squad like waiting for guys to make multiple trips to get their rifle, tripod(s), bags, etc?

This isn't a military op, chill the fuck out and let people do what they want. Like someone else said, unless if you're shooting something like Mammoth, why does it matter?
I don't "hate" them. I just think the way you're trying to justify them is bullshit. I don't shoot three gun, so maybe you need a cart for that.

I have thousands of dollars in my glass and rifles. I don't use a ton of bags, because I don't think they're necessary. Most who do only have one or two filled with sand, so they're very light (pillows). My tools, cammel-back, kestrel, rangefinder, snacks, etc. fit in a small backpack that is not heavy or at all difficult to carry stage to stage. For some matches I'll have binos in a tripod that I'll just carry from stage to stage, but for some I leave them in the truck.

Being able to carry a reasonable amount of your own gear does not equal a "military op", or make the people who do it exceptional, unique, especially fit, or anything else.
Really now--------.
Fishing is a sport, does that make me an athlete?
I didn't say I couldn't carry my gear, but hey, you can make judgements about me without ever meeting me or knowing me.
By your estimation, anyone using a Kestrel is not a real shooter because they don't have REAL DOPE.
I can move my shit around the course, the cart would just make it easier, same as a Kestrel does in some situations.
I can say one thing, some ya'll take this shit way too seriously.
EXACTLY!!!
I actually have a cart for fishing at my beach house because I have a shitton of rods and tackle, and if I'm going to fish the intercoastal or from a pier I want to be able to bring my cooler and all my crap out in a single trip if I'm by myself. Normally I keep a few progeny slaves to carry my fishing stuff. Just about every local has one. Generally fishing in competition is done from a boat, but I guess if there were a pier competition everyone would have a cart.

I would say that PRS has an athletic component above fishing. You appearently do not.

It's not illegal to have a cart. Do whatever you want. I have less problem with the way you are justifying it than most of the others here who make it out like you have to be some stud to actually carry your shooting gear, or that you have to have 100 lbs of stuff or you can't compete.

Shot my first club match last week. All my shit could be carried in a pack and my hands, but I’ll say I could definitely see the use for a cart.

when it’s 100f outside with no shade a big umbrella would have been hella nice, a small cooler would have been hella nice, and I wish I had a tripod with binos. That is now too much shit to lug around. Am I little bitch for watching shade and some cold water without having to hike my ass back to the truck?

Reactions: camocorvette
The way I see it, PRS shooting is no less a sport when using a cart than golf is a sport for players that use caddies. The physical aspect of it isn't getting from A to B, it's maneuvering during a stage (or during a golf swing) and being accurate with your shots.

The only reason I wouldn't use a cart is because I'm trying to continue to reduce fat and keep getting into better shape after losing a lot of weight (215 to 175). Carrying my gear is just more lifting to do throughout the day, which is why I do it, but fun fact - carrying your gear doesn't actually burn any more or less calories than pushing it around on a cart.

They've done lots of studies on this kind of thing specifically for golf, where the bags of equipment weight 20-35 pounds (similar to most PRS packs) and there's been a long-raging debate on carrying your bag vs using a push cart. Golfers who carried those 35 pounds for a full 9 holes (approximately 3-4 miles of walking for most courses) burned an average of 721 calories. Golfers who used a push cart for the same 9 holes of golf burned an average of 719 calories. The only differences were the amount of strain and fatigue felt by the golfers, not the amount of energy they expended along the way. Source

I carry my crap because I'm trying to build muscle, and I make my rifle heavy and bring along bags I never use because of that goal just to make the weight I'm lifting and carrying heavier than it would be otherwise. People using a cart are still spending just as much energy as people carrying their stuff, but the people with the carts are less likely to suffer injuries and will feel better than you at the end of the day in their back and shoulders.

Just because some think it's dumb, weak, or lazy to use a cart doesn't change the fact that it's healthier for your back, neck, and shoulders to do so while still burning the same number of calories. They're not at all necessary - it's totally possible to carry even gamer-quantities of gear in/on a pack and your hands (I do it even if I only ever use 1 bag and my tripod is only used for spotting), but it's also still beneficial to your health to push even normal light levels of gear on a cart.

Mine has a taco bell.... does that count?
I have modified it a lot since July 4th (yes thats why I have the flag on there) but it helps carry a cooler when its hot AF. And hellz yeah thats a fan. Everyone stands in front of that too... Im too old to be tacticool. I shoot because its fun and hauling shit around in the heat isnt my idea of fun. I will leave that to all the young kids who enjoy proving something. Im just here for the tacos.

Attachments

• ED2901A0-E1F5-4D74-AC7D-A17AE568CC04.jpeg
    ED2901A0-E1F5-4D74-AC7D-A17AE568CC04.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 255
Reactions: Force_Multiplier
you are WAY off base thinking that anyone who derides you for your cart does so because they consider themselves macho, but that is a telling comment.
I have definitely heard more than one person at a match say something to the effect of, "be a man and carry your stuff" or "a real man can carry their gear".

Not with a bang, but with a baby-stroller. So many excuses, justifications and even "studies". Should we allow Tactical Rascals too?

All of your "Grunt Style" gear will need to be returned by weeks ends, please include your man-card with it.

• Haha
Reactions: whiskeytower
I see a hunting trip to GoodWill in my future..... :) :) :) See those jog strollers all the time for $10-15, often reduced by 75% if not sold by fourth week. Are carts limited to non-powered? Anyone use a Gator or Ranger??? That'd be my style... :) :) :)
I’m disabled (mildly, in the grand scheme of things… for now)… have talked to a few MDs about a Ranger (think PRS golf cart), none have had an issue with the idea… but again, disabled

Reactions: Fig
I have definitely heard more than one person at a match say something to the effect of, "be a man and carry your stuff" or "a real man can carry their gear".
I'm sorry you are being bullied.
The-Big-Lebowski_Jeff-Bridges_dressing-gown_CU.bmp2.jpg

"And even if he's a lazy man, and the Dude was certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. But sometimes there's a man, sometimes there's a man. Well, I lost m'train of thought here."
-The Stranger

• Haha
Reactions: whiskeytower
I honestly don’t care what anyone carries their gear in. I have been using my pack since I started the sport in 2003 and it still works for me. Not because I want to be a “tough guy” but it carries what I need and it’s easy to toss on my back and walk with. Just what I am used to and like to use. Got friends who use carts and they like them.

Reactions: hondo1312
I don’t have a cart. Rifle, bags, backpack, ammo, water, spotter and tripod, etc. there’s a fair amount of shit to carry. I just got my son into shooting. Now I have 1/2 as much stuff to carry…

I honestly don’t care what anyone carries their gear in. I have been using my pack since I started the sport in 2003 and it still works for me. Not because I want to be a “tough guy” but it carries what I need and it’s easy to toss on my back and walk with. Just what I am used to and like to use. Got friends who use carts and they like them.
Ahhhhh. MOD Approved!
Finally.

Some of ya'll can be little d*cks in here with very judgmental minds. If a man or women or binary person wants to use a cart or wagon who cares. Depending on terrain I'll use a cart, a wagon or just a backpack. When using my wagon or cart I tend to pack more stuff such as rain gear (umbrella or rifle cover) and more tools (Fix it Sticks, bore rod) and when squad mates has failures they usually come to me asking for help. Again....who cares.......carry on......or push or pull on.

C'mon we can do it, we can push this thread that's about not much -- to over 100 posts. I know there's a hider out there that will give just a little more.
unnamed.png

Last edited: