• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Match SouthWest Regional series NRL22 Match the night before

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    Avenal (Central California)

NRL22 Match the night before

PRSSW Regional.jpg

Sunday 9/22
    7am –5pm
    Avenal Gun Club
    Cost $40 SPACE IS LIMITED

NRL22 match

Saturday 9/21
    5pm
    Avenal Gun Club
    Cost $20

PRS-Regional-Qualifier-Avenal-Logos-7.png

You can PM me if you need more info - Jim
    Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AvenalTactical/
    PLEASE RSVP Match Director's email SPACE IS LIMITED
    [email protected]
    Onsite Camping is available, Harris Ranch is about 20 minutes if a hotel is needed.

Station7.jpeg

This match is VERY unique; not only because it is a hiking course with round trip, between 2-4 miles depending on your draw, or the fact that you get to shoot across several canyons, a diverse AOF, but because it also is combined with TWO matches happening at the same time. We have the entry level match called the Prone Division where the shooters get almost 2x the time as positional shooters and a Open Positional Division.

Prone Division: (This is our entry level division- very limited space for this match. Please email to see if space is avalible)
    Prone.jpg

The targets are VERY generous for prone shooter. It is fashioned after the Whittington Center in New Mexico, where the COF never changes. It is ideal, for hunters people wanting to shoot a variety of distances and AOF and see what they can do with 1 shoot per target, people looking to vet their range dope, practicing wind holds and of course great for your first several matches.

You can shoot it slowly or challenge yourself. This works because prone "is the most stable" position. You can practice using only your tripod or shooting sticks, use your tripod in combination with obstacles, practice on all or just a few obstacles while still using the longer prone time limits. You can shoot your standard hunting gun off a backpack or your race gun.. The key is that you must submit your score as a prone shooter. Really you can do so much, learn so much.. You'll often shoot next to the people on Obstacles so you'll get to see how they build their positions. I think this is the only match that allows such a diverse approach to shooting styles. Consider this a chance to just to shoot long range more than a "match".

PRS / Open Division:
    (You can absolutely shoot the Open division as your first match.. it is supportive and friendly too!!!!)
    JimT.jpg
    JB.jpg
    Scott.jpg
    dave2.jpg

Just like the prone division, hiking course between 2-4 miles depending on your draw. This is a PRS one day match. There is a strict COF that must be followed if you post your score in this division (gaming is NOT ok). If you deviate from a COF, take extra shots or "game it", it is a Stage DQ. Because obstacles are only about 1/2 the time and 50% harder (way more unstable) and it takes way longer to build a position, than prone. It is not uncommon, for someone to shoot about 1/2 the points when they switch to obstacles.

As with all the matches, Unsafe Behavior will be a match DQ.

Hope to see you out there Jim T
    Please "Follow" and "Like" it on Facebook

NRL22 Match.

NRL22 Match.jpg

These are the hottest new thing in positional rifle shooting! http://nrl22.org/
    The shooters a super friendly and it takes place in a no-pressure setting. Great Practice for Center fire Matches.
    Email if you need to share a 22 -- we'll get you shooting.
    50 rounds of ammo.

The match is in Central California off highway 5 just south of Harris Ranch:
    1 hour from Fresno
    1.5 from Bakersfield
    2.5 hours from San Jose
    3:15 hours from SF
    3:15 hours from Sacramento
    4 hours north of Los Angles
    5 hours from Reno
    5-1/2 from Las Vegas

Attachments

• trail.jpg
      trail.jpg
      20.2 KB · Views: 47
    Last edited:
    Reactions: LH_Gina
    Thanks for those that came out. We shot the NRL22 match in the dark with lights. The biggest surprise was after the NRL match, when @Lonestar1027 broke out is Minox into night and the dark shadows.. blew all the other scopes away.

The centerfire match was fun, thanks to some of the hide guys for coming out!

Unknown.jpeg

Wind was twitchy from our backs; 160° thru 200° ish and later about 270° 10mph-20 (I didn't use a Kestrel but another squad reported a solid 20). Personally, I find that 180°- ish switching wind the hardest to deal with especially in these hills with a wide FOF. Although we don't have wind flags on our course, below is a picture of the wind flags on the Silhouette Range from @Lonestar1027 I "think" he took as we hiked up a ridge between stages, you can see the Silhouette range in the bottom of the canyon to the left. More often than not, they were blowing in complete opposite directions to each other.
    flags.jpg

We might have another match in January -- I'll try to post it if we do..

Attachments

• Unknown-2.jpeg
      Unknown-2.jpeg
      85.5 KB · Views: 144
    Last edited:
    We had phenomenal weather and once again @Swoodhouse19 put on a match that was well organized and had a prone division with TONS of time for those either less experienced or looking for a soft entry into the match type shooting and a fair and super well laid out positional COF with a faster cadence.

Had a few new guys from the Hide as well as new shooters to the match. In the squad I was lucky enough to shoot with, every guy but me, on the right, had/has the kinda jobs that people make movies about... Some real, real bad-assery/man card stuff in the squad. Great shooting with these guys and a fun time poking fun at each other. All that said we had another new female shooter in the match to help balance out some of the testosterone..
    IMG_0250.jpg

Really, If you're new and want to shoot long range it worth the drive to try one of these matches.. You might just surprise yourself how well you do and how supportive the guys are.

I tagged the match director maybe he can post a few pictures..

Last edited:
    We had phenomenal weather and once again @Swoodhouse19 put on a match that was well organized and had a prone division with TONS of time for those either less experienced or looking for a soft entry into the match type shooting and a fair and super well laid out positional COF with a faster cadence.

Had a few new guys from the Hide as well as new shooters to the match. In the squad I was lucky enough to shoot with, every guy but me, on the right, had/has the kinda jobs that people make movies about... Some real, real bad-assery/man card stuff in the squad. Great shooting with these guys and a fun time poking fun at each other. All that said we had another new female shooter in the match to help balance out some of the testosterone..
    View attachment 7049217

Really, If you're new and want to shoot long range it worth the drive to try one of these matches.. You might just surprise yourself how well you do and how supportive the guys are.

Thanks Jim and Scott for getting this noob into the game. I had a ton of fun and really enjoyed shooting with all of you guys! I learned a massive amount and am planning to come again! Will certainly work on fixing a few of the things we talked about to better give you guys a run for your money.

Cant wait for the next one.

Reactions: Diver160651

View attachment 7049217

Thanks Jim and Scott for getting this noob into the game. I had a ton of fun and really enjoyed shooting with all of you guys! I learned a massive amount and am planning to come again! Will certainly work on fixing a few of the things we talked about to better give you guys a run for your money.

Cant wait for the next one.

how do we sign up for these matches?

Updated to add partial sponsor list.. for the raffle all shooters have a chance. More to come..
    PRS-Regional-Qualifier-Avenal-Logos-7.png

Special than these companies stepped in even after there 2019 marketing budget was spent to support the shooters~

Last edited:
    Reactions: HonkyTonk86
    I swear, the shooting community is great! Even with short notice Manufactures are jumping in to help the shooters~

2 more Gift Certificates for $$ off, to beraffled off from the great people a Burris.
    burris.png

Reactions: seansmd
    thanks for the awesome match yesterday.

definitely worth the drive from the bay area

More unboxing of things for the shooters—

A special stage — anyone guess who is sponsoring this stage and giving the shooters prize??
    DB0506B0-B6E3-459F-A6EA-ED11942BF48E.jpeg

Opened another box today!!!!

Thanks Seekins! Every shooter and RO was donated 25% discount card for purchases up to $2,700 if I read it correctly.

+ 1 40% off at the shooter draw!
    Plus a bunch of cool stickers and patches!!
    D1635CDF-2B56-4858-AC7C-B7C629A5604B.jpeg

Lots of great industry support..

Thanks !!

Match booklet is complete! Lots of fun stuff to give away thank you to the sponsors above.. Looks like our target attendance has been hit!!

@Swoodhouse19 the MD, is toying with the idea of adding 5 more people.. email him and maybe he will sneak you in!!!

Wow, what a way for me to toss a great guy under the bus.. figure I'll ask for forgiveness latter :)

Thanks everyone- @Swoodhouse19 did add the 5 spots, but that filled right up.

So we are more than Full.. Hope to see you guys out, less than 2 weeks away!

Thanks again to the sponsors that jumped in to give California shooters some love and support in our random prize draw.

Opened this morning-

Defiance-gifyt-card.png

Last edited:
    I'm bummed that is too late but it would have been a lot of work to load and chrono a fresh batch in time. In the mean time I still need to do all that and maybe get a chance to go to circle s to practice wind calls for the second time!

Also is open division still $40?

Gas guns allowed or bolt only?

Yes gas guns are fine, maybe an advantage on some targets. We are full at this point but have another in September and Monthly matches..

Stay tunned - I'll get more info up here shortly. You can always PM me or Scott to get added to the email list.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    Sold out but still lots of work to do—

20+ winds and rain will make it tough

88B1B366-71F6-40D3-9529-49C9D2334400.jpeg

Someone’s going to get a great barrel job from Spartan Rifle’s

More cool stuff other than a shipping mishap things went smooth..

USPS lost the giveaways Bison Tactical sent.. but Fred from Bison FedeX’d another shipment to save the day!!!

Car loaded up with the giveaways and a latter for the truck prop. Crap no room for my cooler and not sure where I will put my rifle?? Roof rack maybe?
    C2F6716A-A947-4015-AB89-595166A9287A.jpeg

Man I miss my F350 tonight!

Well this one is in the books!

Had some crazy weather at the end someone’s Kestrel read 32mph.

Bit of rain an mud - 3 guys needed my packable cleaning rod..

Will post up a bunch more pics shortly

Here is one of the stations in the great weather before we started the match.

F894B59C-F051-4FD0-B2B3-E0F1612058A2.jpeg
    C254ABBC-AEEA-455C-ABB7-8154CF63CB72.jpeg

Reactions: Mxridr and seansmd
    Jim,
    I just want to say that I would love to get on your coast and attend a match there, if for no other reason than it is obvious to me that your venue is exactly how I like to see things run. Keep up the good work!

Jim,
    I just want to say that I would love to get on your coast and attend a match there, if for no other reason than it is obvious to me that your venue is exactly how I like to see things run. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Ya, that be great to shoot with you.

We are having another PRS Southwest Regional Qualifier in September and a UKD Team Match in November -

Monthly matches in between, but I might miss a few of the monthlies

Jim

Jim,

Here is our remaining 2019 Practiscore schedule link below:

Key matches:
    PRS SW Regional Qualifier is Sep 22 with a 22match the evening before on the 21st.

TEAM UKD match November 24 (really limited spots) with a 22match the evening before on the 23st.

Lots of lower key monthly matches in between ... But I have conflicts with other matches on some of the monthly dates.

Reactions: seansmd and lash
    Nice! Looks like fun, and I’ll have to see about coming up for some matches. Total newby here, no threat to anyone, but sounds like this would be a great way to get the feet wet.

What are the distances involved?

Nice! Looks like fun, and I’ll have to see about coming up for some matches. Total newby here, no threat to anyone, but sounds like this would be a great way to get the feet wet.

What are the distances involved?

please come

shooting the prone division is just as fun due to the landscape and the wind.

I shot prone last month, and open(PRS) this month. First two matches ever in PRS/PRS Style for me.

Everyone is super helpful, and Jim always keeps it entertaining

Distances are from 200-900
    6mm-308 are ideal

Reactions: Diver160651
    Perfect. I have a Tikka 260 and just took it out to 1322 last weekend for the first time, so the ranges are doable for sure.

I talked this over with my shooting partner and he is interested, so we will probably make it out for one of the matches soon.

Perfect. I have a Tikka 260 and just took it out to 1322 last weekend for the first time, so the ranges are doable for sure.

I talked this over with my shooting partner and he is interested, so we will probably make it out for one of the matches soon.
    If you live a few hours a way I recommend coming the day before and bring your camping gear because you can pitch a tent next to your vehicle in the parking lot. Night before everyone hangs out, has some drinks, shoot the shit, shoot some other shit. Good times.

Also bring your hiking boots as the course has mild hiking up and down some foot hills.

Only my second match there, cant wait to get back.

Last edited:
    If you live a few hours a way I recommend coming the day before and bring your camping gear because you can pitch a tent next to your vehicle in the parking lot. Night before everyone hangs out, has some drinks, shoot the shit, shoot some other shit. Good times.

Also bring your hiking boots as the course has mild hiking up and down some foot hills.

Only my second match there, cant wait to get back.

Even better... is there room for motor homes? Or tent only? I figured we’d be getting a room along the way, but it would be great to be onsite and have a chance to meet some of the folks.

Thanks for the info!

Even better... is there room for motor homes? Or tent only? I figured we’d be getting a room along the way, but it would be great to be onsite and have a chance to meet some of the folks.

Thanks for the info!
    I believe there is room for motor homes.

Just wanted to update: I should have more images up soon.. If you attend and have images to share please let me know

BTW our next PRS Regional Series Match June 16th

Register at Practiscore:

Here are a few....
    Unknown-5.jpeg

^ v Couple of Norcal MDs showing our squad how it is done! Two assume guys I was super lucky to have them in my squad!

Unknown-7.jpeg

Unknown-14.jpeg

What Clouds?? -- Tornado warning on the Radio -- nope they're not phased - Although or MD was monitoring seriously the weather and ready to pull the plug for shooters safety - BTW I didn't even know we had tornados in CA

Unknown-9.jpeg

Every one needs a squad pic.. ^ I took mine at the wrong end ~ v at least the squad below was smarter

Unknown-13.jpeg

Unknown-12.jpeg

^ There is a certain cool factor about have a bit of rain and having to pull out and wear "your real" USA Olympic Team Rain Jacket

Unknown.png

^ Nice shooting

Unknown-10.jpeg

^ A far shot at one of the stations and someone’s I think that George Garner’s brother Steve’s squad..

Attachments

• Unknown-2.jpeg
      Unknown-2.jpeg
      143.8 KB · Views: 42
    Last edited:
    Reactions: HonkyTonk86
    I'll be down, not sure when on Friday I can get there, probably stay at Harris Ranch, no camping gear.

Next sunday, prepare for sun and heat. I recommend drinking lots of extra water in the days leading up to it.

Last edited:
    The avenal calendar shows the 15th, if it's the 16th I may be out too.