• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes PRS Newbie Scope Selection

atxhorn4425

Tactical Keyboard Operator
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2017
Austin, Texas
Hello all - Apologies for yet another scope recommendation thread but I’ve spent hours digging through the forum and am still torn on a few things. Was hoping those of you with actual experience shooting matches could help me out.

By way of background, I decided I wanted to shoot some local matches a little over a year ago and put together a custom rifle that weighed in at about 13.5 pounds with an AMG. Beautiful gun, shoots great. Heavy and expensive. Given it’s been a year and I have yet to shoot a match (and in fact only have a couple hundred rounds through it period), I’ve decided to sell this rig (listing in the PX later today actually) and get something considerably lighter so that I can use it hunting and less expensive so my wife doesn’t leave me.

I’ve settled on a Christensen MPR chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with 22” barrel, which should arrive tomorrow. The AMG would be a great fit, but I’m looking to save cash and probably need lower magnification on the low end for hunting. FFP is a must, mild preferred. I’ve set $1500 as my budget but would really prefer to be around $1000.

So given those parameters, I’m looking hardest at the following scopes:

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50
Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 (I have an opportunity to get one for $1300)
Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56 (I have an opportunity to get one for $1500)

I’ve compared these scopes to the Burris, Sig, Athlon and Bushnell options and like the decidedly wider FOV of the PST. FOV on 5x for the PST Gen II is only marginally less (or even more) than the 4x and 4.5x options I looked at. I looked at the DMR II, but it’s FOV isn’t much better at 3.5x than the PST at 5x (25.3 vs 24.1ft@100yds), so I don’t see the extra weight and cost being worth it, especially giving up 4x on the top end. I’d really prefer something with a little more top end than 15x, but I also want low magnification on the low end so I need to either add cash or add weight and neither is ideal. Mark 5 or 6 3-18x would be fantastic but out of my budget for the illuminated options.

I think my decision tree can be summed up as:

1) 3-15x or 5-25x?
then
2) Is the Steiner worth $300-400 more than the PST Gen II?

What do you guys think about those two questions, and am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for the help.

EDITED to add Steiner 5-25x option

Last edited:
As far as overall quality (optics, build, quality control) Steiner is a superior product to Vortex
I’d expect that. My only hangups with the T5Xi deal are that, at least on paper, I strongly prefer the Vortex’s reticle (I like the Christmas tree style) and I’m not sure the 5x-25x isn’t a better option for my needs.

Steiner is up there High end with the NF and S&B build and quality is superb glass is great too.

Overlooking the SWFA 5-20. Best optic under 1500 imo. And it's around 1k
SWFA has it for $1500, where do you see it for $1000? I looked at it, my hangups were the reticle (no numbering and I like the Christmas tree style), lack of zero stop and PST has 20% wider FOV and extra 5x zoom. I’d guess the SWFA has better glass but I’d also think the PST is plenty good for my needs. And as far as I know it’s $500 cheaper.

Found a Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56 for $1500. Edited my post to include that choice. I’d probably go with one of Steiners over the PST except I’m just not sure about the SCR reticle and I don’t know if the extra $$$ are worth it to me at my level of expertise (ie, virtually none).

Reactions: DisplacedTexan
SWFA has it for $1500, where do you see it for $1000? I looked at it, my hangups were the reticle (no numbering and I like the Christmas tree style), lack of zero stop and PST has 20% wider FOV and extra 5x zoom. I’d guess the SWFA has better glass but I’d also think the PST is plenty good for my needs. And as far as I know it’s $500 cheaper.
BLUF: I don't trust Vortex, but my SWFAs never have problems, despite having fallen off barricades.

Ok so I suppose I should explain my personal views. I have numerous friends hat have tried the new PST and a couple have already lost a reticle or had to send it in. I was really excited about the PST gen II until I heard these things. To be honest, the only two Vortex I have ever been willing to invest in are the Gen II Razor and AMG. I actually sold my Kahles 624 to fund an AMG. So I have a biased opinion.

The SWFA is easy to find under $1100 used. I understand your reservation for the reticle and zero stop, but I almost never go over ten mils during a PRS match and they have shim kits to mimic zero stop. As far as the reticle, I agree they need to do something about it and I'm disappointed that they haven't but I have completed with it without problem.

BLUF: I don't trust Vortex, but my SWFAs never have problems, despite having fallen off barricades.

Ok so I suppose I should explain my personal views. I have numerous friends hat have tried the new PST and a couple have already lost a reticle or had to send it in. I was really excited about the PST gen II until I heard these things. To be honest, the only two Vortex I have ever been willing to invest in are the Gen II Razor and AMG. I actually sold my Kahles 624 to fund an AMG. So I have a biased opinion.

The SWFA is easy to find under $1100 used. I understand your reservation for the reticle and zero stop, but I almost never go over ten mils during a PRS match and they have shim kits to mimic zero stop. As far as the reticle, I agree they need to do something about it and I'm disappointed that they haven't but I have completed with it without problem.
Makes sense, and I appreciate your thoughts. Definitely something to chew on.

Best thing to do is plan on switching scopes several times until you find what you like. Go to ranges and matches and get your hands on as many as possible

Reactions: kimberyote
Best thing to do is plan on switching scopes several times until you find what you like. Go to ranges and matches and get your hands on as many as possible
That makes a lot of sense, and I doubt whatever I settle on will be what I end up with. Mostly looking for a starting point.

More than anything, any opinions on 3-15x vs 5-25x for my needs?? I’m pretty sure I’ll just end up with the PST because it’ll be easy to replace, it has all the features that are important to me, and it’s at the low end of the price range so it’s a very safe choice.

Overlooking the SWFA 5-20. Best optic under 1500 imo. And it's around 1k
I've owned the PST 2 and I agree with this post. The SWFA HD 5-20 is just an awesome value in terms of build quality, glass quality, and overall ease of use.

The PST 2 is a very nice scope though - nothing against it at all.

Reactions: atxhorn4425
SWFA might have a tax day sale in April, pricing should be significantly lower on the 5-20x

They missed the Black Friday Sale last year, so I don't know. Whether the SS scopes deserve consideration is best exemplified by going to the "Optics for Sale Forum". Right now, you have to go back six pages before you find a SS. That gets you to yesterday. The scope in question was sold the previous Thursday and listed the same day. The reason it appeared on the 7th is another member bumped it up by asking if it was still available. It was listed at a price that represented a $150.00 savings from new.

What makes a scope a safe choice is that it does what you want it to, it has as excellent warranty and you can sell it with minimal loss. That sounds like a used SS 5-20HD for about a grand.

Reactions: SLG
...The SWFA is easy to find under $1100 used. I understand your reservation for the reticle and zero stop, but I almost never go over ten mils during a PRS match and they have shim kits to mimic zero stop. ...

IIRC the shims work with fixed power and 3-15 only, no HD scopes supported.

More than anything, any opinions on 3-15x vs 5-25x for my needs?? I’m pretty sure I’ll just end up with the PST because it’ll be easy to replace, it has all the features that are important to me, and it’s at the low end of the price range so it’s a very safe choice.

I own several 5-25x50 PST II's. Needless to say I like the scope. Good features and function for the price, it is a very nice scope. I would recommend going with the 5x25 for PRS style competition. Most of the times your magnification will probably be dialed in the teens somewhere but when shooting small on a single target such as a paper stage it is nice to dial up to 24/25ish. You'll like the scope.

I'd also recommend the Vortex Defender caps. They are very durable, lifetime warrantee, lay flat when open and snap tight when closed unlike some of the other crap out there.

Reactions: atxhorn4425
IIRC the shims work with fixed power and 3-15 only, no HD scopes supported.

They work on the 5-20, SWFA does not warrenty it though. TimK said himself he makes many kits for the HD line and zero problems.