• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS No .260rem love

squib

Sorry about your barrel
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2012
New York
Went to sign up for a regional PRS membership. Started to build my profile only to be greeted with no love.
_20200208_200556.jpeg
WTF

The .260 like the .243, feeds awesome and brass and data are in abundance. They'll do everything the CMs will do but not a lot of factory longrange ammo options. But thanks to the CMs 6.5 and 6mm bullets are abundant as well as fast barrels. One hand washes the other. The .260 and .243 just won't go mainstream for the long game. The marketing power behind the CMs is a force to be reckoned with.

Reactions: mtequip
The .260 like the .243, feeds awesome and brass and data are in abundance. They'll do everything the CMs will do but not a lot of factory longrange ammo options. But thanks to the CMs 6.5 and 6mm bullets are abundant as well as fast barrels. One hand washes the other. The .260 and .243 just won't go mainstream for the long game. The marketing power behind the CMs is a force to be reckoned with.
If only Remington had spent the money and time pushing .260 the way Hornady did the CM’s.

This is exactly what pushed me to the 6.5CR over the 260 when I switched from 308 5-6 years ago. Factory ammo was the big gig.
Too true. For me when I made the switch to 6.5 it was about familiarity with the case. Ive got the .308, 7mm-08 and .243. The other deciding factor was that I reload all I can anyway and I wanted that extra case capacity and speed I could get out of the .260. Personally for me I’d never switch from my 260 but if I did it’d be to shoot the new blackjack .25 bullets. The 6mm never blew my skirt up and I’m not afraid of recoil.

Reactions: Wulf and tnc
Improved ballistics have zero positive effect on score if you’re giving up shot feedback. The reason I dropped the 6.5s for big matches is the top shooters are to the point of making micro adjustments shot to shot to keep their group not only on the plate but totally centered up. Nothing wrong with that 260, but it’s going to limit you somewhat in this game.

Reactions: kthomas
Never felt like I was giving up shot feedback with my .260 and 130 Berger’s. I see all of it just fine be it barricade or in the prone. I’ve never felt limited but I definitely feel like I have the advantage on longer shots. The problem I see IMHO is that matches are changing to suit the 6mm crowd. In the last year seems like matches are getting shorter in distance with more barricade shooting to fit them.

95% of PRS top shooters are all using 6mm something. They all share dope calls at every competition. They all run 2900-3100 FPS.

Went to sign up for a regional PRS membership. Started to build my profile only to be greeted with no love.
View attachment 7244938
WTF

Send the PRS an email or contact via WebInfo. I requested a few additions to the member page and they were quick and receptive. I am now "Complete". I'm so glad we get to upload our own pictures.

1581712248360.png

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
Improved ballistics have zero positive effect on score if you’re giving up shot feedback. The reason I dropped the 6.5s for big matches is the top shooters are to the point of making micro adjustments shot to shot to keep their group not only on the plate but totally centered up. Nothing wrong with that 260, but it’s going to limit you somewhat in this game.

260 rem is the Rodney Dangerfield of the PRS world?
Should I request a refund?

It works just fine. I’ve used my backup gun that’s a 6.5LRP (260 AI) and it held its own. Just do it.

Myself and my shooting partner shoot .260 Rem at matches. We hold our own and don't feel to be at a disadvantage.
It seems the cartridge is used in events yet the governing body doesn't even recognize it.

It's silly that the 260 isn't listed. Use it and kick butt, while knowing that you are shooting a real cartridge that does more than barely knock the paint off the steel.

Went back to 6.5. Don’t follow the new flavor of the month (6gt) you will have more fun and become a better shooter. Plus it become very costly changing calibers all the time. Prize tables are weak it is a fun hobby to hang out with your friends. Just my opinion

I shot PRS matches before there was a PRS and the 260 was THE cat’s ass.
It was the cartridge to beat. I’ve seen the trend bounce from one “next best” thing to the next and then the next.
The 6mm is today’s 260. Give it six months and some latest and greatest will take over.
Shoot the shit out of that 260. Ain’t a thing wrong with it.

Steve

+ one for the.260!
I chose it because of the case, it is, in my view, more harmonic than the 6,5 Creed and it's just SO easy to make a good and consistent load for.
Around here ( in Europe ) the same thing is happening as by you, the 6 mm is storming forward, but mostly for the reputation.
The steady shooters are still going 6,5 and they are still winning their matches.
Windcall are, in my view, a lot more easy with a 6,5, than a 6 mm.
The max range for a lot of our matches, are beyond 1200 meters and the 6 mm are at VERY hard work at that range.

I do have a 260 in one bolt gun, it is gathering dust. It is easy to bash the PRS/NRL shooters saying that the 6mm rush is weak or a short term thing. Look at it in the simplest fashion, 6mms in general recoil less which helps you stay on target to spot your impacts or misses and ballistically the difference at the distances we are shooting is not a huge disadvantage compared to a 260. It is an advantage to have a 6mm even if you have the best recoil management in 260. I do agree some people chase "the new calibers" and it can be costly but there is a lot of difference between a 6BRA, 6 Dasher, and a 260. Bash if you want to bash but damn use your brain and watch what people are winning with. Buck Holley was shooting a 308 last year in a 30 pound rifle that had recoil like a 6mm, there is a reason behind it. Recoil and recoil management is the game and 6mm's have the advantage and the ballistics to be the sweet spot for the style and courses of fire we shoot.

I do have a 260 in one bolt gun, it is gathering dust. It is easy to bash the PRS/NRL shooters saying that the 6mm rush is weak or a short term thing. Look at it in the simplest fashion, 6mms in general recoil less which helps you stay on target to spot your impacts or misses and ballistically the difference at the distances we are shooting is not a huge disadvantage compared to a 260. It is an advantage to have a 6mm even if you have the best recoil management in 260. I do agree some people chase "the new calibers" and it can be costly but there is a lot of difference between a 6BRA, 6 Dasher, and a 260. Bash if you want to bash but damn use your brain and watch what people are winning with. Buck Holley was shooting a 308 last year in a 30 pound rifle that had recoil like a 6mm, there is a reason behind it. Recoil and recoil management is the game and 6mm's have the advantage and the ballistics to be the sweet spot for the style and courses of fire we shoot.
Shame to here that 260 is gathering dust. It’s a damn fine round. You’re right that your 6mm isn’t a “short term thing” because they’re changing matches to suit you. They’re getting shorter and more positional month by month to cater to you. FFS I shot a club level match a few weeks back that was a one day, ten stage match and nine stages were positional and less than 700 yards. And guess what, 60-70% of the shooters were shooting a 6mm and so are the people that designed the COF. It’s bad when a guy tells you the Punisher Positional didn’t have as many positional stages as a club level match. This is all counter productive in my estimation as well. You’re scaring off potential new members with all this. The average guy is going to show up to one match and never again. So now you’re running the risk of thinning the ranks, getting less money in and stopping the growth of precision shooting. I guess you’re right in summation, if recoil management is to be the new “game” then by all mean shoot a 30 pound rifle and a short fat pussy 6mm (stolen from an awesome thread).

Last edited:
Reactions: tnc
I'll stick with 6.5mm. I run creed but 260 is the same damn thing in my eyes. Only reason I went CM was SRP Lapua brass. 6mm falls apart out around 1k typically unless it has a lot of powder behind it, but then barrel life suffers. With 6.5 there's usually very little question of whether or not you actually hit the target, 6mm less so. All my opinion of course.

Reactions: tnc and mtequip
They’re getting shorter and more positional month by month to cater to you.
Nailed that one right on the head. The distances at my local matches are all within 700 when the range has a perfectly good 1200 capability. More and more weird barricade style stages with very small amounts of movement between shots. At the time of building my match rifle, I made it as light as reasonably possible without sacrificing barrel girth so I could run stages that required a lot of movement and threading the rifle through openings. Then a few months later all those stages started disappearing and everyone started putting weights on the rifle.

I can understand wanting a heavier barrel profile, at least that helps you with heat or even having the better scope that's a little heavier, but something's wrong when you got guys bolting on metal weights to their chassis systems for the sake of recoil alone. Not even leading the stock for balance, adding weight to the forend.

Seems we've gotten away from the original point of PRS

Shame to here that 260 is gathering dust. It’s a damn fine round. You’re right that your 6mm isn’t a “short term thing” because they’re changing matches to suit you. They’re getting shorter and more positional month by month to cater to you. FFS I shot a club level match a few weeks back that was a one day, ten stage match and nine stages were positional and less than 700 yards. And guess what, 60-70% of the shooters were shooting a 6mm and so are the people that designed the COF. It’s bad when a guy tells you the Punisher Positional didn’t have as many positional stages as a club level match. This is all counter productive in my estimation as well. You’re scaring off potential new members with all this. The average guy is going to show up to one match and never again. So now you’re running the risk of thinning the ranks, getting less money in and stopping the growth of precision shooting. I guess you’re right in summation, if recoil management is to be the new “game” then by all mean shoot a 30 pound rifle and a short fat pussy 6mm (stolen from an awesome thread).

Not bashing the 260 at all, and at a club match level I do not see people not coming back because we don't cater to the 260's/6.5 crowd in fact I feel there is a pretty good balance between positional and prone/modified prone at distance for instance at the Best in Texas PRS match there were 6/18 stages were troup line stages that were near 1k. Second who wants to lay on your belly all day and shoot (boring) go shoot F-Class if you want that experience. I think the position stuff separates the men from the boys when it comes to all the fundamentals it takes to be good at assessing the positional stage and putting a plan together. Just my two cents, and 6mm's are far from p*ssy, I have taken more deer and pigs in my life with a 6mm than anything else. Lastly I see people all the time bash the "game". Sports evolve basketball, football, hell even car racing. Its easy for old school mentality people to blast a sport because its is evolving. I have no hate towards any caliber as I am just blessed to shoot a sport I love and be upright every day. I agree the 260 is a great round it's just the sport has evolved past that caliber for the type of shooting we do. If you love 260 shoot 260 and be damn good at it, or buy a range and cater a full day match to laying on your belly shooting 800-1300 yards....easy peasy lemon squeezy.........by the way recoil management is not the new game its always been a fundamental no matter what gun you are shooting.

Not bashing the 260 at all, and at a club match level I do not see people not coming back because we don't cater to the 260's/6.5 crowd in fact I feel there is a pretty good balance between positional and prone/modified prone at distance for instance at the Best in Texas PRS match there were 6/18 stages were troup line stages that were near 1k. Second who wants to lay on your belly all day and shoot (boring) go shoot F-Class if you want that experience. I think the position stuff separates the men from the boys when it comes to all the fundamentals it takes to be good at assessing the positional stage and putting a plan together. Just my two cents, and 6mm's are far from p*ssy, I have taken more deer and pigs in my life with a 6mm than anything else. Lastly I see people all the time bash the "game". Sports evolve basketball, football, hell even car racing. Its easy for old school mentality people to blast a sport because its is evolving. I have no hate towards any caliber as I am just blessed to shoot a sport I love and be upright every day. I agree the 260 is a great round it's just the sport has evolved past that caliber for the type of shooting we do. If you love 260 shoot 260 and be damn good at it, or buy a range and cater a full day match to laying on your belly shooting 800-1300 yards....easy peasy lemon squeezy.........by the way recoil management is not the new game its always been a fundamental no matter what gun you are shooting.
I agree entirely with your perspective of getting off the ground for positional shooting. I'm all for that. I start to have a problem when we have stages where "positional" becomes plopping an F-Class weight rifle on a barricade, barely touching the rifle and free recoiling, then moving it to the next position about a foot right and 6" up and repeating. As equipment gets better, I would expect targets to get further away if the range allows. I say further away, not smaller because it not only tests your ability to remain steady enough to shoot it, but also your wind calls.

If I were to change things at all I would not increase the ranges at the expense of positional shooting, but just increase the range of the positional shooting and increase the distance/obstacles to moving the rifle. Recoil management is a fundamental of all shooting to be sure, but it is certainly being favored moreso than other skills at this current state of the game.

Reactions: mtequip and tnc
I still love the .260. I only went to 6mm Creedmoor for a few more factory ammo choices and a bit more speed.

I still want to build another. 260. It's competitive still.

Recoil management is a fundamental and a learned skill. Having a 25lb rifle and shooting a tiny little cartridge is not recoil management. That’s a crutch for people who don’t want to manage any recoil

Recoil management is a fundamental and a learned skill. Having a 25lb rifle and shooting a tiny little cartridge is not recoil management. That’s a crutch for people who don’t want to manage any recoil

Disagree with this, it is easy to say its a crutch for those who don't put in the work of all the fundamental. Does not matter what you shoot 308, 260, 6mm if you don't have good fundamentals of marksmanship you will suck no matter what caliber you shoot.

Reactions: Fig
Creedmoore is just so available...

I’ve got two spare 260 barrels just in case; but I’m shooting the CM as the extra 50fps really isn’t enough to use the 260

Reactions: Tunnuh
It is a game. You’re (most of are) not an OAF sniper. Sorry.

Yes it's a game (sport).....I respect those who have served and not arguing that, in fact, I am related to an actual. Not even part of this discussion lol.

Disagree with this, it is easy to say its a crutch for those who don't put in the work of all the fundamental. Does not matter what you shoot 308, 260, 6mm if you don't have good fundamentals of marksmanship you will suck no matter what caliber you shoot.

It’s not easy to call it crutch. But it’s truth. Truth isn’t always easy. You may suck but you’ll suck a lot less shooting a 6mm vs .308. Same reason we start our kids with a 22 or 223.

Yes it's a game (sport).....I respect those who have served and not arguing that, in fact, I am related to an actual. Not even part of this discussion lol.
Well, not only is it related it is actually central to the discussion if you’re going to argue that it should be more snipery, real world, practical, etc.
“Engage multiple targets in 90 seconds”. What practical riflery does that relate to? Hunting?
The early matches were literally “sniper” competitions, and some still are. Does anyone haul a 25 lb rifle through Mammoth? The % of impacts to win is also sky high compared to the early days. The same guys seem to win all the time, and it’s not ‘cuz they have much better sticks.

I just think the rifles are constantly being adapted to the sport.
Have you seen America’s Cup racing lately? Sailboats that fly, and if a hull dips into the water their race is basically over? Is that not “sailing” anymore?
Agree to disagree, but I like challenging and interesting stages (outlaw rules), and I don’t care how “practical” they are.
I agree with you that no matter your stick if your fundamentals suck so will your impacts.

Reactions: Walker TR