• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Production Div .... why no trophies or recognition for Division winners?

onebadmofo

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2017
I have noticed that the Production Div winner at 2 matches this yr did not receive any recognition of any kind but all other divisions did clear down to Jr shooters ( which they deserved to be ).

Can someone explain the reason for this because the Production Div shooters pay the same PRS Membership dues,match fees, and shoot the same stages as the Open but in most case use less quality rifle and scope per the rules.

Last edited:
We have two guys shooting production at one of my matches! Should be at least a minimum number to qualify for trophies in my opinion.

Reactions: pga43
And why do you think the turn out is so low when the sport is exploding in growth?

Last edited:
Maybe because factory rifles are turds and most shooters who are willing to invest in match fees hotels travels and ammo are willing/able to figure out a way to shoot something outside of the production class parameters.

No one “chooses” to shoot production when they have a choice.

PRS exists to justify the equipment. People want to showcase their $6000 rigs and have a venue to use them, so the development of the game has centered around catering to those people.

Entry fees are expensive. Shooting courses are expensive. The cost of everything else ends up justifying the cost of the rifle because who wants to do less than their best at a competition they might spend $800 just to attend?

Reactions: DFC
Maybe because factory rifles are turds and most shooters who are willing to invest in match fees hotels travels and ammo are willing/able to figure out a way to shoot something outside of the production class parameters.

No one “chooses” to shoot production when they have a choice.
Now that the JHR is coming out I predict that production class will get more popular since there will be a solid option.

Prior to that though you were kind of stuck with a RPR, a Bergara, or a Tikka (maybe a Savage Stealth) and that made things less appealing since none of those guns will shoot the tiny groups that a custom gun or gun more expensive than $2,000 will often shoot.

Now that people can get what is effectively a custom quality gun for a production class price, there will be more people interested in giving it a go.

Its all about the almighty buck. Look at the sponsors list they all are making a buck off the high dollar guns and don't give a damn if you even come to the shoot with a factory gun. Then you have the factory guns for the entry level shooters and the factories are silent.

I shoot production by choice for the same reason I shoot IDPA. It is a level playing field hence a true test of the marksman's skill, not a test of his bank account. I've shot the equipment race game in the past, I'll take a stock class thank you very much. As for my rifle being a turd, I'll have to leave that up to you since I've not personally handled any turds.

Reactions: lash
Its all about the almighty buck. Look at the sponsors list they all are making a buck off the high dollar guns and don't give a damn if you even come to the shoot with a factory gun. Then you have the factory guns for the entry level shooters and the factories are silent.

Not really. People were buying expensive sniper rifles since before PRS. Most of the guys with expensive guns will not shoot a PRS match with them. Rifle matches grew out of a desire for people to have a venue that would cater to their expensive custom guns. The expensive rifles came first.

Bottom line is that it costs $250 to enter a match, another $250 in ammo, plus travel, food, etc...if you can afford that for a weekend, you can probably afford a good rifle.

Not really. People were buying expensive sniper rifles since before PRS. Most of the guys with expensive guns will not shoot a PRS match with them. Rifle matches grew out of a desire for people to have a venue that would cater to their expensive custom guns. The expensive rifles came first.

Bottom line is that it costs $250 to enter a match, another $250 in ammo, plus travel, food, etc...if you can afford that for a weekend, you can probably afford a good rifle.

I agree with you. The PRS rulebook used to say that the Production Class was to be a 1 day match with a maximum of 80 rounds. The original intent appeared to be geared to the new shooter that could bring whatever they had and not feel intimidated. It never ended up being that way, which is where your point of the cost of competing comes in. If somebody can only afford a $400 rifle, it's hard to justify spending 3 times the price of your rifle on the match fee, ammo, travel, and everything else that goes into a 2 day match. That's why the club matches have taken off like they have. It is doing what the Production Class was originally intended to do; get new shooters into the sport.

I see production division as nothing more than to make new shooters with your typical off the shelf RPR or the like to not feel intimidated about jumping in. It's entirely psychological, and I'd say it works.

I've not known anyone who's trying PRS for the first time and continues in it to leave their rifles production class legal for long at all if they would even fall in to that class from the start. Those I've known who have started out are specing out a build almost instantly. These days you can build a great rifle with a custom action, prefit barrel, chassis, and trigger for well under $3K. The majority of the people that I know who have gotten into matches already have rifles which don't fall into production.

There's hardly ever any production shooters at the two day matches and I'm sure those trophies aren't cheap to make.

If I were a shooter getting into PRS with shelf grade gear and shooting production (or not) I'd be far more concerned with improving my skills and trying to learn from others than whether there's a trophy waiting for me for finishing first in the division.

People need to stop worrying about the damn trophies and prize tables and remember that we all do this because it's our passion. We spend thousands of dollars on gear, more money to go shoot, and dedicate a ton of our time because we love doing it. We live and breathe this shit. Don't let a fancy piece of metal or a free piece of gear ruin your enjoyment of the sport. Go out, pew pew, and have a great time.