• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Rimfire/ NRL22 training regiment.

Defender32

Whiskey & Hammers Help
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 28, 2020
    West KY
    What does your weekly or monthly training look like?
    Do you shoot a published (NRL22) COF or make your own?
    Do you dry fire only or both?
    Do you use a faster clock time or the same?

I find my self doing more Barricade drills at the house and shooting a couple of weekends. I do live in the county so that is a plus for me. I also try to keep the time to 90sec for 10 or 12 rounds and keep it to 4 or 5 positions with 2 or 3 targets. I also try to get to the LGR for a complete 3-4 hours of shooting The NRL22 COF at option 1 with a buddy or 2. Then try to work in some different barricades at the same setup targets for that COF. I try to use different bags each time I practice it so I know the one that works the best for me on that stage.

I know this sounds like a given, but some might not think about some of these things that will come up in the discussion. I know for damn sure there are guys & gals out there that will blow me out of the water shooting. I look for ward to learning from some of you on here.
    tempImage52tEzF.png

Reactions: Th1nor
    I try to keep it simple. 1-2 bags, even if it's not the optimal gaming solution for a specific stage, I get really familiar with it and get faster and more consistent.

I find consistency is the key when you don't have hours and hours every week to practice. With life, I'm down to just shooting the matches, maybe I'll dry fire a little bit, but lately I've just been showing up at the matches due to lack of time.

The good thing is with consistent practice, every match just adds on. Barricade at X height just means something like prone, sitting, low keeling, high kneeling, etc. So if you constantly practice that, every thing you encounter will just be a derivative of that. A tank trap at 3 feet height vs a barrel vs a rock or a log, it's still 3 feet above the ground where your rifle will sit and you will practice the optimal body position to have the smallest wobble.

I have 2 support bags that I swap between. Shmedium & Pint-sized for Armageddon Gear. I like my pint size the best but the Shmedium has its place as well. This is why I try different bags at home and the additional use of a plate. make my notes on the COF Page and its less to remember.

I have 2 support bags that I swap between. Shmedium & Pint-sized for Armageddon Gear. I like my pint size the best but the Shmedium has its place as well. This is why I try different bags at home and the additional use of a plate. make my notes on the COF Page and its less to remember.

That's good, practice is practice. Eventually it'll be good to look at the CoF and try to imagine what you'll do and see if you're right. When you get to more outlaw matches, regional, national matches, there's not going to be a published CoF using known props. You'll walk up to the stage and see it for the first time so that's where it's important. I see people come in to matches and will have practiced the CoF so much and memorize everything and nearly perfect the CoF, only to get 30% of the hits on the bonus stages that were new to them.

If I have time, I set up the Monthly COF and will Dry fire each stage twice and live fire for the third run. Then I will set up the next stage and do it again.

Reactions: Defender32
    I will go shoot 200 yards and in, few boxes here and there on 1"-4" steel.

We only run outlaw style matches now, because we all got bored with the nrl cof. The old guys didn't like moving that much, and we all hated the paper stages and the time it took to deal with that.

So, now I just show up and shoot. We'll all go through the stage briefings, then split up the squads and start.
    I have noticed a few guys scores dropped because they were practicing all month. Mine were consistent, and I still place top 3 unless I have a total failure.

You people are lucky... the only practice I'm afforded is at the matches. No where in my area to practice unfortunately. That said,lack of practice has not been an issue either. (Luckily)

Why not order a DFAT and train Dry Fire in you House, Garage or Backyard. I really like mine when its cold out and gets dark before I get off work in the winter months.

Why not order a DFAT and train Dry Fire in you House, Garage or Backyard. I really like mine when its cold out and gets dark before I get off work in the winter months.

I will second the DFAT. I try and get at least 1 hour cumulative practice dry firing indoors.

I always try and focus on something specific during my training sessions. I'll grab the 6ft step ladder and a bar height chair and work on transition from position one day doing hold overs. The next ill work on trigger press and follow through.

Dry fire i think is one of the greatest ways to get practice and actually focus on fundamentals.