• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS (SLIK) Tripod Issue

varmint slayer

Area 419 OG
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
NE, WY
Just curious if anybody else has seen this failure before on a PRS or SLIK brand tripod. The little lip that the leg angle setting catches on for the steepest angle broke off or got rounded off some how last weekend at the Rocky Mountain Steel Quest match. I didn't notice it till today when I went to use it. See the pics below. I don't think there is anyway to repair it other than take all the legs off and get a whole new head piece. Pending the cost of that it may be easier and cheaper to just get a new one. Anyway just curious. Thanks.
5e7a9ute.jpg
esabu5e6.jpg
u4a7azyg.jpg

I've run the snot out of my Medium PRS over the years and NEVER experienced anything of the sort. Depending on how old the tripod is, the Slik tripods that Danel uses have (and you'll have to double check with him to see if its even applicable to his units given their end use, etc.) a 3-year warranty which may come into play in this situation. That isn't a part of the head though, but rather an integral portion of the tripod's legs/center column, so you won't be able to just get a new head and fix it that way. Kenko Tokina USA, Inc. (Slik's authorized "importer"/distributor/servicer) does offer both warranty and pay repairs, but I have no idea what that one might cost you if you have to go that route. If you have to pay outright, you may be better off just buying a new tripod and be done with it.

Hopefully you and Danel can touch base and get a solution hammered out.

Yeah it's less than a year old so maybe it will fall under a warranty issue. I'm willing to pay for a repair if need be but I was more curious if this has happened to anybody else. I'm glad this maybe an isolated event as I really like the tri pod. I'll give Daniel a call on Monday and see what we can do.

We have been selling these model of tripods for 7 years now and I have seen this malfunction four times in those 7 years. I saw this with one of my own "Large" model tripods when in my haste to get in position for a shot I apparently didn't disengage the leg lock fully and I bent the leg lock out of square so that even with it pushed in as far as it would go it did not fully engage the first notch. I was able to bend the leg lock back in by pulling the leg lock all the way out and with some pliers I grabbed the vertical part of the leg lock and bent it in towards the center of the tripod. Now this worked for awhile but the geometry was not that of the original design and it happened again a month later. I ended up just replacing it and scavenging parts off the old one in the event I needed to replace any on the new one. The good news is the only parts I have needed on this last one are two rubber feet replaced. It may be that your tripod had a leg lock out of spec and it finally wore the notch enough that the leg lock no longer engages at the first notch. It is my understanding that the leg assembly can be purchased as a replacement but I suspect that the leg lock is the bigger culprit here. Let me know if you have any questions and don't hesitate to email or call, we will certainly help you in any way we can.

PRS (SLIK) Tripod Issue

I got your PM Daniel. I'll reply back to you there my friend. Please don't take this as me bashing or whining as I was merely curious if anybody has came across this. I love that tripod lol.

That is a HOG saddle [MENTION=66999]majohnson2[/MENTION].

Last edited:
I have been crazy busy the last few months but I thought I would give an update on this. Danel or [MENTION=9914]Platypus[/MENTION] got with me and got me a new unit sent out and to me in time for an upcoming match. It worked great and still continues to work great. He replaced the unit for nothing more than a thanks for using out product. I can't say enough good things about him. Thanks again man!